This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyiheartit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a former discussion about my issue with raising my graduate GPA a while back, but now that I have completed the program, I would like to ask for anyone’s honest opinion/help about my current situation.

To get straight to the point, I have an undergraduate GPA of 2.7 and finished an SMP program geared for pre-med/pre-dental students with a GPA of 2.9 (I did the program for 3 years)
I know there was barely any increase, and I am heavily discouraged to apply to dental schools. However, I do not want to give up my passion to become a dentist.
I was working as a dental assistant throughout my time in grad school, and I feel like I did not set my priorities straight, hence, the low GPA.
I want to ask if taking a post-bacc program for pre-dental students will be of any help to negate my past academic performance. If so, are there any post-bacc with dental linkages that will accept my stats?
*I tried applying to two other SMP programs in the hopes of increasing my GPA, but was denied admission. Hence, I am looking at post-bacc programs.
(I am planning on taking the DAT and achieve a high score when applying to post-bacc programs).
I know many of you will say to look for a different career at this point, but I am asking if you can provide other alternatives such as specific post-bacc programs that are able to accept my stats
Thank you everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You already have so many credits at the GPA you have, it would take hundreds to change it in any meaningful way. So no, do not do any more programs to increase your GPA — it’s just going to put you more into debt without the benefit of changing your GPA much.

Your GPA is under 3.0, which is a cutoff for many schools. I think you’re going to have a very hard time getting in somewhere. I would know, I had a 3.0 in undergrad, did a masters and raised it to a 3.15. Got a 24 on the DAT and only got accepted to 2 dental schools total. With your GPA, you’re going to need to get higher than a 24 on the DAT which is extremely difficult and only <1% of people earn every application cycle.

Unfortunately, it is what it is in my eyes. I know you want to be a dentist, but there are other careers out there that are equally as fulfilling. Good luck and I hope things work out for you!

Reactions: 3 users
You already have so many credits at the GPA you have, it would take hundreds to change it in any meaningful way. So no, do not do any more programs to increase your GPA — it’s just going to put you more into debt without the benefit of changing your GPA much.

Your GPA is under 3.0, which is a cutoff for many schools. I think you’re going to have a very hard time getting in somewhere. I would know, I had a 3.0 in undergrad, did a masters and raised it to a 3.15. Got a 24 on the DAT and only got accepted to 2 dental schools total. With your GPA, you’re going to need to get higher than a 24 on the DAT which is extremely difficult and only <1% of people earn every application cycle.

Unfortunately, it is what it is in my eyes. I know you want to be a dentist, but there are other careers out there that are equally as fulfilling. Good luck and I hope things work out for you!
If you don’t mind me asking, which 2 dental schools did you receive acceptance? I am trying really hard to try to achieve a DAT score above 25.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shot your shot. 3 years of post-bac with a 2.9 is a sign.

Life is not your career, dreams can easily become nightmares, and dentistry has its own issues. You can be successful at something else. You've already invested too much time/$$/energy into a sinking ship.

If it was me, I would cut my losses and move to something else at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
You shot your shot. 3 years of post-bac with a 2.9 is a sign.

Life is not your career, dreams can easily become nightmares, and dentistry has its own issues. You can be successful at something else. You've already invested too much time/$$/energy into a sinking ship.

If it was me, I would cut my losses and move to something else at this point.
I understand what you’re trying to say.
I did 3 years of master’s, not a post-bacc. I would still like to give it one more year before I really decide to switch out of dentistry. Do you think dental school admissions would like down upon a student who goes from a master’s level to undergraduate/post-bacc? Even though I know that I can achieve a high GPA with a post-bacc and instead increase my undergraduate GPA?

I understand what you’re trying to say.
I did 3 years of master’s, not a post-bacc. I would still like to give it one more year before I really decide to switch out of dentistry. Do you think dental school admissions would like down upon a student who goes from a master’s level to undergraduate/post-bacc? Even though I know that I can achieve a high GPA with a post-bacc and instead increase my undergraduate GPA?
I am not sure what they would do or if they really would consider these differently between post bacc and SMP. I think that your GPA will take a lot to reinvent and raise.

What would you differently that makes you sure you would have a high GPA in a post bac?

I just don’t want you to spend thousands of dollars and more time and energy for something that could realistically not materialize.

Hello OP,

I may be wrong but I am getting a feeling that you ultimately are seeking an encouragement at this point that “you can still do it if you set your mind to it no matter what.”

I understand where you are and how you feel more than any pre-dent out there. Because I probably am an applicant who had the lowest stats among all entering dental students in the US last year.

I have less than 2.0 undergraduate GPA from a decently well known private college, and have close to 2.5 GPA from Masters program in medical sciences. In between the end of undergraduate to where I am now, I’ve spent 8 bloody years taking upper level science courses, going through rigorous Masters program, teaching high schools, teaching college courses, full-time research for two years, etc and at the end of the 9th year, I’ve entered as a D1. In a meanwhile, I’ve applied to dental school 5 times, and took DAT 4 times.

I would like for you to pay close attention NOT to the end of my story, but everything else IN BETWEEN. I am asking you, can you give up everything, I mean EVERYTHING, for your dream? It took me close to 10 years. Can you endure the time? I didn’t stand around and do nothing for those years. I had one goal in mind and I did everything that I can to reach the goal. There were many sacrifices that I’ve made but along the way, I’ve gained many. Including age, wisdom, experiences, and grit.

You can read my stories from my previous posts. But I can’t encourage anybody because I KNOW how unimaginably painful it is to say “yes, you should keep applying to dental school!”

My story’s turning point was that at the end of 8th year of preparation, I’ve received an invitation that if I do another Master’s program that is affiliated with the dental school and if perform well, I’d be guaranteed of the acceptance. At that point, money and time was no longer a sacrifice. I took the contract and I’ve made it into dental school even though my AADSAS transcript still shows sub 2.0 GPA.

If you want a suggestion, then you can look into Ph.D programs since you have masters. Some Ph.D program is only 4 years long. And then after the doctorate, you can re-evaluate if dentistry is still a passion for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello OP,

I may be wrong but I am getting a feeling that you ultimately are seeking an encouragement at this point that “you can still do it if you set your mind to it no matter what.”

I understand where you are and how you feel more than any pre-dent out there. Because I probably am an applicant who had the lowest stats among all entering dental students in the US last year.

I have less than 2.0 undergraduate GPA from a decently well known private college, and have close to 2.5 GPA from Masters program in medical sciences. In between the end of undergraduate to where I am now, I’ve spent 8 bloody years taking upper level science courses, going through rigorous Masters program, teaching high schools, teaching college courses, full-time research for two years, etc and at the end of the 9th year, I’ve entered as a D1. In a meanwhile, I’ve applied to dental school 5 times, and took DAT 4 times.

I would like for you to pay close attention NOT to the end of my story, but everything else IN BETWEEN. I am asking you, can you give up everything, I mean EVERYTHING, for your dream? It took me close to 10 years. Can you endure the time? I didn’t stand around and do nothing for those years. I had one goal in mind and I did everything that I can to reach the goal. There were many sacrifices that I’ve made but along the way, I’ve gained many. Including age, wisdom, experiences, and grit.

You can read my stories from my previous posts. But I can’t encourage anybody because I KNOW how unimaginably painful it is to say “yes, you should keep applying to dental school!”

My story’s turning point was that at the end of 8th year of preparation, I’ve received an invitation that if I do another Master’s program that is affiliated with the dental school and if perform well, I’d be guaranteed of the acceptance. At that point, money and time was no longer a sacrifice. I took the contract and I’ve made it into dental school even though my AADSAS transcript still shows sub 2.0 GPA.

If you want a suggestion, then you can look into Ph.D programs since you have masters. Some Ph.D program is only 4 years long. And then after the doctorate, you can re-evaluate if dentistry is still a passion for you.
Thank you for sharing your story! Do you think if I do a DIY post-bacc, it will help with my application? That is, if I have a high DAT score and enough clinical experience as a dental assistant.

Hey! Im honestly touched by your story. Please don’t give up. Have you applied to Meharry’s MHS program? They have a Dental track and they’re known to give second chances to those who need it (trust me I know.) If you get in, go to tutoring. You’ve already been given a 2nd chance with the first SMP, so if you get in to any other SMP it literally would be do or die for your dental dream at this time.

Last edited:
Hello OP,

This gives me hope, I love your story. Where did you do you MS in medical sciences? I’ve found it hard to get into those with my 2.0 GPA