Please Help!! Need Recommendations Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MicrobeMommy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Stats:
-AA degree in Liberal Arts
-BS degree in Microbiology (major GPA 3.5)
-cGPA: 3.01
-BCPM: 2.61
-AO: 3.64
-MCAT retake: 502 (chem/phys 126, CARS 124, Bio 128, Psych 124)
-original MCAT: 494 (chem/phys 120, CARS 126, Bio 124, Psych 124)
-Volunteering: 200+ hours
-Had a teaching assistant job while in school in Micro Lab
-Full time job as clinical researcher for 2 years
-300+ hours shadowing
-7 publications
-Excellent LOR (2 docs, 2 sci profs, 1 volunteer coordinator)

I failed an entire year in the beginning because of a domestic abuse situation. I did well in everything else except chem/physics I got a C. This time around I did receive an interview at my state school, but I was ultimately rejected. I was just offered a position in a 1 year SMP, but I’m not sure if I should take it. I figured I would get advice first!

Should I do an SMP or bear down and take a bunch of undergrad science classes/retake MCAT? Please help! I have heard conflicting ideas. It’s a lot of money to put forward especially since I have kids and I want to be sure I’m doing the right thing. I’m trying really hard, but I feel like I’m spinning my wheels. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

You could take undergraduate science courses at a local college (community college is fine). You need to take a sufficient number of science courses to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Your MCAT is competitive for the newer DO schools and there will be more schools opening in the coming 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
You could take undergraduate science courses at a local college (community college is fine). You need to take a sufficient number of science courses to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Your MCAT is competitive for the newer DO schools and there will be more schools opening in the coming 2 years.
Thank you for the advice Faha!

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with SMPs is that unless you can get a 3.7+ GPA it’s game over. SMPs are considered high risk but if you are successful they are high rewards. And y s they are very expensive. Figure out how many science classes you’ll need to get to a3.0+ sGPA and go from there. It’s going to be very tough because with all of your hours you’re probably at the point of diminishing returns.

The problem with SMPs is that unless you can get a 3.7+ GPA it’s game over. SMPs are considered high risk but if you are successful they are high rewards. And y s they are very expensive. Figure out how many science classes you’ll need to get to a3.0+ sGPA and go from there. It’s going to be very tough because with all of your hours you’re probably at the point of diminishing returns.
Thanks for the advice candbgirl! I would need 52 science credits to bring it up and that’s basically a whole other degree.

Thanks for the advice candbgirl! I would need 52 science credits to bring it up and that’s basically a whole other degree.
I was coming to post the same thing as @candbgirl - taking enough credits to get the sGPA above 3.0 may be untenable. If that's the case, then yes you'll need an SMP that you just dominate. And it's an all or nothing thing - 3.7 or greater or you've ruined your comeback. I think that the intersection of money, time and your personal situation will lead you to the path you should take. There are several people on the non-traditional forum here who've had to do another degree.

I was coming to post the same thing as @candbgirl - taking enough credits to get the sGPA above 3.0 may be untenable. If that's the case, then yes you'll need an SMP that you just dominate. And it's an all or nothing thing - 3.7 or greater or you've ruined your comeback. I think that the intersection of money, time and your personal situation will lead you to the path you should take. There are several people on the non-traditional forum here who've had to do another degree.
Thanks precisiongraphic!