Please post your opinion on top 5 D-schools/5 worst D-schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sure why not
top 5 (in no particular order)
Harvard, Penn, Pacific, UCLA, Alabama

bottom 5 (again, no particular order)
West Virginia, Meharry, VCU, UT-Memphis, NYU
...I picked these 5 because either they are underfunded/they have a reputation for going out of their way to make their students miserable/etc.

don't flame me on this...its a subjective question and this is just my opinion-I don't know that there really are 5 best and 5 worst schools, but these are my 5 favorite and least favorite schools

So many factors go into what a good school is and most dental schools are great - so very tough to answer the question for the 5 best. As for the worst, I think it's best to not say anything at all if you have nothing nice to say. This thread doesn't really have much potential to help people, but rather open the door to bashing schools like Meharry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok You want to know, This is a personal opinion,

5 Best D schools in no Particular order.
Temple, Michigan(my state school so bit biased here), Detroit-Mercy, UMKC, UOP

For the worst schools, I don't want to commenton it. Becasue you know what it doesn't really matter what I think, you think or anyone else on this board thinks. What matters is the person should like the school they want to attend. Ranking is all BS and that is why D-schools don't do it and I like it that way. The school that you like is always No 1. that is why you would want to go there. And you should not go to school becasue someone else thinks is no.1.

Top 5: UPenn, Harvard, Pacific, UConn, UCLA/UCSF

no particular order, just my opinion.

other great schools include Loma Linda, Temple, UNC, etc.

you ever notice the douchebags who don't know anything are always the ones with opinions and the need to share them?

It all depends what you want from a school. If you want to specialize, then Harvard is by far the best school in the States, maybe the world for specializing. But if you want to go into private practice after 4 years, Harvard sucks. The opposite is true of Temple for example.

phremius said:
you ever notice the douchebags who don't know anything are always the ones with opinions and the need to share them?

phremius what happened to your blog link. :D

harvard is the worst school ever. That's my bottom 5. I think My top 5 would be Detroit Mercy, because it has a rather funny name. And Meharry, does nobody else see the humor in that? Me-Harry? get it?

this is the best thread ever invented. I can't wait to see what everyone else says.

Audio said:
It all depends what you want from a school. If you want to specialize, then Harvard is by far the best school in the States, maybe the world for specializing. But if you want to go into private practice after 4 years, Harvard sucks. The opposite is true of Temple for example.

Are you persian? Gotta love Karimi

hockeydentist said:
phremius what happened to your blog link. :D
:laugh: gotta love the hockeydentist

Bottom 5______________Top 5

1) Temple_____________1) Upenn
2) WV_________________2) UCSF
3) Meharry_____________3) UOP
4) Howard_____________4) Washington
5) Nova_______________5) NYU

Members don't see this ad :)
syn_apse said:
:laugh: gotta love the hockeydentist

I know I do. Anyone who would put a picture of Chris Farley dressed up as El Nino for their avatar is first class in my book.

Bottom 5

All the schools that rejected you, especially the ones that waited until the middle of december to send out the rejection letter that you should have gotten on or around the first.

Top 5

All the schools that accepted you promptly on the day they said they would, especially the ones that you want to go to.

HermeytheElf said:
I know I do. Anyone who would put a picture of Chris Farley dressed up as El Nino for their avatar is first class in my book.

Pulled out my collection of chris farley pics, I thought what the hell, how about the chipendales pic. Hope this brings some holiday cheer.

For me the top 5 schools are the schools that I really want to get into and go to. To me it's not necessary the best in the country, just the ones I am interested in the most.

That said..... UCLA, UOP, UCSF, USC, Harvard.

As far as the worst, I think I should stick to just the positive.

Top 5:

UNC, UNC, UNC, UNC and UNC

Bottom 5:
Everyone else

:smuggrin:

TimR said:
harvard is the worst school ever. That's my bottom 5. I think My top 5 would be Detroit Mercy, because it has a rather funny name. And Meharry, does nobody else see the humor in that? Me-Harry? get it?

this is the best thread ever invented. I can't wait to see what everyone else says.

:laugh: :laugh: How about the fact that UConn sounds like "Yukon". In fact, when I made reservations at a hotel chain (the reservations were done from a central location and the person didn't know much about Connecticut) he said "so that's Yukon, with a 'Y', right?" I felt like saying "Damn, dude! If I was sleeping THERE you'd BETTER give me an electric blanket!!!!"

oldboy said:
Bottom 5

All the schools that rejected you, especially the ones that waited until the middle of december to send out the rejection letter that you should have gotten on or around the first.

Top 5

All the schools that accepted you promptly on the day they said they would, especially the ones that you want to go to.

AGREED :thumbup: :D

DcS said:
Top 5:

Bottom 5:
Everyone else

Man you're such an idiot...how could you leave an amazing school like UNC off your top 5 list?

HermeytheElf said:
sure why not

...I picked these 5 because either they are underfunded/they have a reputation for going out of their way to make their students miserable/etc.

don't flame me on this...its a subjective question and this is just my opinion-I don't know that there really are 5 best and 5 worst schools, but these are my 5 favorite and least favorite schools

Hey, I'm just wondering why you considered Memphis in the bottom 5? I'm not offended or anything...Just curious. I'm in the process of trying to pick a school right now.

arash said:
Are you persian? Gotta love Karimi

Yeah, Karimi is a football God. Can't wait til Bayern take on Milan :D

DcS said:
Top 5:

Bottom 5:
Everyone else

Very wise man you are...of course, I'd throw Carolina in there at #4. :)

You see, NIH/research funding, internationally reknown (sp?) faculty, top facilities, great residency programs, etc. are all over rated. What really matters--being the defending National Champions and the best freshman class in the country? That's how to determine your top 5.

jpollei said:
Very wise man you are...of course, I'd throw Carolina in there at #4. :)

You see, NIH/research funding, internationally reknown (sp?) faculty, top facilities, great residency programs, etc. are all over rated. What really matters--being the defending National Champions and the best freshman class in the country? That's how to determine your top 5.
I tried using the "good sports school" argument on my wife. Lets just say it didn't go over very well. :(

Mayo123 said:
Hey, I'm just wondering why you considered Memphis in the bottom 5? I'm not offended or anything...Just curious. I'm in the process of trying to pick a school right now.

I threw Memphis in my bottom 5 because there's absolutely no way I would ever consider going there. They have no respect for their students and seem to enjoy making their lives miserable...ask around...Id be suprised if you could find a UT-Memphis student/graduate who has good things to say about the school.

Brocnizer2007 said:
Bottom 5______________Top 5

1) Temple_____________1) Upenn
2) WV_________________2) UCSF
3) Meharry_____________3) UOP
4) Howard_____________4) Washington
5) Nova_______________5) NYU

Still bitter that you didn't get accepted to NSU, huh? :rolleyes:

Shiat, NSU over NYU any day! Are you kidding me?

Saying this in the best way not to start an argument, but anyone putting NYU on their list is clearly out of touch. Any place that purposely admits people they know will fail in order to get money is nowhere I would want to be. I ran across many NYU students during my interviews, all of which pretty much said "you're on your own to survive". No thanks.

HermeytheElf said:
sure why not

huh, I have heard that WVU is a wonderful school which treats its students with great respect. Also, I read on their site, they are putting 5 million dollars into updating their dental labs.

I think this poster was really ignorant in his response. my opinion.....

Hot pickle baby said:
huh, I have heard that WVU is a wonderful school which treats its students with great respect. Also, I read on their site, they are putting 5 million dollars into updating their dental labs.

I think this poster was really ignorant in his response. my opinion.....

I never said WVU treated their students badly, my main complain with them is that they are underfunded. $5 million for their labs is a step in the right direction , but not nearly enough to make me consider going there. Also, you can disagree with someone without calling them ignorant. By throwing that in at the end, its clear that you are just looking for a fight. The information I have about WVU is what I came up with when researching schools and there is absolutely no reason for you to believe that your research is any more reliable than mine despite the different views we have on the school. So unless you are a student at WVU, then I don't think you are qualified to make authoritative statements about the school and to label others' opinions as ignorant simply because they disagree with your own.

HermeytheElf said:
I never said WVU treated their students badly, my main complain with them is that they are underfunded. $5 million for their labs is a step in the right direction , but not nearly enough to make me consider going there. Also, you can disagree with someone without calling them ignorant. By throwing that in at the end, its clear that you are just looking for a fight. The information I have about WVU is what I came up with when researching schools and there is absolutely no reason for you to believe that your research is any more reliable than mine despite the different views we have on the school. So unless you are a student at WVU, then I don't think you are qualified to make authoritative statements about the school and to label others' opinions as ignorant simply because they disagree with your own.

I interviewed there. It was quite ignorant of you to write that about that school.

Now if you would like to say whats the worst place to live in America, Morgantown may be in the top 5 or top 3, but the school is extremely nice and to say otherwise is nothing less than ignorant.

Sorry Hermey(by the way, thats really original) :laugh:

The dean of WVU came to visit our school. He said the school was struggling financially and that it was going from public to private in order to alleviate some of the financial burden. We'll see if it works, but my impression was that WVU (a school that nearly nobody knows exists) is struggling...perhaps even in its deaththrows.

from my own experience from students,graduates,dentists my picks are

Top 5 uop,utsanantonio,upenn,uwashington,harvard.

bottom 5- howard,nyu,bu,west virginia,umisissippi

JavadiCavity said:
The dean of WVU came to visit our school. He said the school was struggling financially and that it was going from public to private in order to alleviate some of the financial burden. We'll see if it works, but my impression was that WVU (a school that nearly nobody knows exists) is struggling...perhaps even in its deaththrows.

Why would the dean of WVU travel across the US to pacific to tell its school that WVU is struggling financially? Thats gotta be a lie and I don't believe that at all. Got any proof?

Their lab had $60,000 chairs with plasma tvs and goggles so patients could watch DVDs.

I just dont believe that in the least. Also, you wouldnt know that it exists because you are not from WV are you? Dont they take mostly in state?

JavadiCavity said:
they didnt extend me an offer but from what I understand its a super program.

The dean of WVU visited Pacific's campus because he was a final candidate to replace Pacific's current dean. During his visit to campus, he explained to the student body why he wanted to leave his post at WVU. I won't go into anymore of the details, but his comments led me to my conclusion above. He wasn't selected as the new dean. And, I'm sorry you weren't accepted to a school that impressed you. Happy Holidays!

absolutely worst schools I visited:
1.UOP - too expensive for below par education
2. WVU - in a transition that I don't want
3. Indiana - not impressed
4. Temple - need I say anything?
5. Penn ok but not good enough

Best school I visited:
ARIZONA.

It was really impressive.

JavadiCavity said:

I think you are confused. WVU just got a new dean and supposedly he has raised several hundred thousand dollars for the program.

Wow, you think arizona is impressive, you have obviously not done your research from people who have interviewed there including myself. You couldnt pay me enough money to go there. :thumbdown:

the best school is the one you feel you would be happy in and reach your highest potential.

these arguments are pointless. Whatever school you go to is going to be fine. I read these posts each time thinking I will learn something new and just confirm my opinion that it doesnt matter where you go. The only exception may be if the school is in financial ruins.

natroncb said:
these arguments are pointless. Whatever school you go to is going to be fine. I read these posts each time thinking I will learn something new and just confirm my opinion that it doesnt matter where you go. The only exception may be if the school is in financial ruins.

yea really, why dont the mods close these stupid threads down?

JavadiCavity said:

Do state schools typically have a more difficult time getting the necessary funding than privite institutions?

Just curious...Your stats are pretty impressive, Why didn't you get an interview at U of M?? No need to answer if you dont wanna

mccarth2 said:
Do state schools typically have a more difficult time getting the necessary funding than privite institutions?

I would imagine most people don't know why they don't get interviews at certain schools. I know I didn't.

jrsdsu said:
Wow, you think arizona is impressive, you have obviously not done your research from people who have interviewed there including myself. You couldnt pay me enough money to go there. :thumbdown:

looks like someone got a rejection letter :laugh:

Maybe b/c they have good grades but horrible social skills?? I donno, just a guess... Or other reasons maybe??? I donno, I am just a dumb frat boy.

adamlc18 said:
I would imagine most people don't know why they don't get interviews at certain schools. I know I didn't.

mccarth2 said:

I can't generalize and say that all state schools have a more difficult time of obtaining funds than private schools because I don't know for certain. But, I do know of specific states that are quick to cut funding to dental schools. Some politicans don't see dental education as vital...just a money pit. So, these schools have to raise tuition and come up with other ways to raise the money necessary to keep the doors open and the lights on. Medical schools are subsidized by the hospitals associated with them--a luxury that dental schools don't share.