~*~Ponce School of Medicine Class of 2011!!!!~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that if I were to attend the school and live in PR Spanish will be useful (although there is plenty of english spoken too). Thanks for your response but what I'm trying to fiure out short of becoming completly bilingual in Spanish between now and a possible interview...is it worth me applying as I am now. I plan to learn spanish even if I don't get ot a PR school, but do I need to be fully bilingual inorder to successfully apply? I'm hoping ideally a current or former student might be able to answer this for me from personal experience (or knowedge of a friends experience).

thanks!

not necessarily full bilingual, just enough spanish to talk about you! (don't worry, the difficult part of spanish are the grammatical issues, but you do'nt need it by now).

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are residents of Puerto Rico, could you tell me if the MCAT exam you took was in English or in spanish , I would also like to know if those who got accepted into PSM or RCM did any volunteer work other than the medical investigation many Puerto Rico Universities require you to do in your 4th year.

:laugh: The MCAT is same as in the states!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Students in PR have to take exactly the same MCAT as those in the uS, in English. It's a standardized exam, so the test taking experience has to be as identical as possible for everyone.

Nobody answered my PM requests about the background check Ponce wants. I finally heard back from Sra. Cintron, and I thought I'd share in case anybody else needs the info:

"You may request this document at the PD of the city where you live in. In some states is called Police Background/Record Check, Criminal History Report/Record, Clearance Letter, Certificate of Records Search, etc. Online checks are not accepted. It must be signed and have an official seal."

Nobody answered my PM requests about the background check Ponce wants. I finally heard back from Sra. Cintron, and I thought I'd share in case anybody else needs the info:

"You may request this document at the PD of the city where you live in. In some states is called Police Background/Record Check, Criminal History Report/Record, Clearance Letter, Certificate of Records Search, etc. Online checks are not accepted. It must be signed and have an official seal."

I think this is for PR residents and certain states that require by law a certificate from the local police department stating you have no criminal record. I know that in PR, residents go to the police headquarter in San Juan and pay something like 5$ for a certificate. You would basically fill out a document and present a valid ID with your Social Security number and they do quick check in the police database. If everything comes out clear they then give you a certificate with an official seal stating you have no criminal record. I know certain states also require a criminal check, but as to how to go about it I have no idea. Call the school tomorrow and ask them directly. If your state does not require this then you might be exempt.
The only way to know for sure is to call them directly.

I think...

wtf? I posted an answer, not a question. My post was about my OOS app to Ponce. I needed specifics on Ponce's requirement (not suggestion) for a background check. The info I got was from Gladys in Ponce's office of admissions - she knows I'm OOS.

I'm interested in meeting requirements, not shirking them. Now that I have the info I can get this thing done.

I'm sure you're trying to be helpful but you obfuscated the info I tried to clear up...

wtf? I posted an answer, not a question. My post was about my OOS app to Ponce. I needed specifics on Ponce's requirement (not suggestion) for a background check. The info I got was from Gladys in Ponce's office of admissions - she knows I'm OOS.

I'm interested in meeting requirements, not shirking them. Now that I have the info I can get this thing done.

I'm sure you're trying to be helpful but you obfuscated the info I tried to clear up...

Glad to help.:laugh:
Your reaction was so well thought out, mature and respectful that I just had to say you're welcome.

HI GUYS, this is my first time in this forum, I'm from Puerto Rico. I applied to 2012 class in SJB, UCC and UPR. Is there anyone who apply to these schools? :)

I did. Have you heard anything from them? .

HELLO: No, I have not received any communication from the schools, I'm still waiting. Do you know when the interview process start?

Yes, Im supposed to go down for an interview in February. i just found out this past friday.
Im stressed though because Im not fluent in spanish but have a ton of community experience which is what they like in PR. I speak a little spanish but not sure if I could explain my passion for medicine in spanish even.

Oh well.

Any SJB students out there?????? can seem to find any chat rooms for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for a fact that UPR interviews have begun. As for the other schools, they mainly have rolling admissions which extend interview season well into may or even June.

Yes, Im supposed to go down for an interview in February. i just found out this past friday.
Im stressed though because Im not fluent in spanish but have a ton of community experience which is what they like in PR. I speak a little spanish but not sure if I could explain my passion for medicine in spanish even.

Oh well.

Any SJB students out there?????? can seem to find any chat rooms for them.
I'm getting my apps in this week, I just need my birth cert and the background check to send out.

I'm worried about the same thing, I'm not really fluent... can understand some of what I read from having taken French, but I'm thinking about buying Roesetta Stone in the meantime. I really hope I get an interview, I applied to Ponce, SJB, and UCC. G'luck!

Does anyone know where I should stay while in San Juan ? Im planning to stay in SJ and drive to Caguas because it is soooooo expensive there.

porosh

Hey, this is my first time on this blog. I live in Orlando. I've got an interview on Feb 22 with PSM. Any advice? Sucks when your first interview is with your #1 choice.

:D

I just had an interview at PSM, Ucc, and SJB, all of them very layback. Ponce is far from San Juan and the traffic can be terrible. Know where you are going and leave early. At PSM, I had two interviews one in spanish and the other one in english. If you have any questions let me know.

Chaicos,
What did they ask you at SJB? and was the interview in english or spanish. and was it a group interview????
I hope im not too late in the interview ppol. They told my at the end of january but i couldnt go until now..... I hope that doesnt mess up my chances.

It started with an essay about ethical decision making. Afther that, you will have a group interview with a panel of three physicians. They ask you to talk about youself for three minutes and then ask random questions directed individually. Closed file style. Finally, a few students gave us a tour. Very nice students.
good luck

anyone knows where to find numbers in regards to usmle scores and residency matches for schools in pto rico?

Thanks

chaicos

how was the psm interview like? I just found out that I have one in march and I am not sure how to prepare. Also, were all of your interviews (at all of those schools) around the same dates?
Thank you for your help.

anyone knows where to find numbers in regards to usmle scores and residency matches for schools in pto rico?

Thanks

A PSM graduate by the name of Mig26x posted the Ponce match list a while back, try and search for it. I also copy- pasted it in one of my earlier posts. From what I saw the match list was very impressive. As for USMLE scores the faculty here at the University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine just gave us second year students a workshop on the USMLE. For UPR the USMLE passing rate for first time test takers has been over 90% for the last 5 years. The lowest percentage was 85% a few years back. Not bad at all. From what I have heard PSM is more or less on par while UCC is a bit lower, but not by that much.
As for UPR match list, the school, unfortunately, does not make them public. I have spoken with 4th year students, interns, residents and attendings and they pretty much tell me that ALL UPR graduating students match, not bad.
It does help that the medical school has over 40 accredited residency programs.
I have found that in matters of PSM Mig26x knows a lot more than I do. Like many of us he came from the US and might have a some personal insight that could be of help. For UCC there is a poster who goes to that school and has answered many questions, I just cant remember his nick. Do a search for UCC if you want more info.

MOVING FWD:

tHE psm INTERVIEW WAS GOOD. TWO INTERVIEWS ONE IN SPANISH AND THE OTHER ONE IN ENGLISH. PREPARE BY LEARNING ABOUT THE SCHOOL AND PTO RICO NEWS. READ ENDI.COM AND PRIMERAHORA.COM. I WAS LUCKY TO HAVE ALL INTERVIEWS ARROUND THE SAME DATES.

GOOD LUCK

I just had my interview at PSM on Feb 22. Both were actually in English. I got a bunch of ethics questions mainly stem cells, euthanasia, and my opinion on health care systems thoughout many societies. Overall I felt the interview was laidback. They seem more interested in finding out who you are, and not stressing you out like in other schools.

BTW They told be the App. Committee will be meeting in about 3 weeks.

I just had my interview at PSM on Feb 22. Both were actually in English. I got a bunch of ethics questions mainly stem cells, euthanasia, and my opinion on health care systems thoughout many societies. Overall I felt the interview was laidback. They seem more interested in finding out who you are, and not stressing you out like in other schools.

BTW They told be the App. Committee will be meeting in about 3 weeks.
I AGREE. GOOD LUCK

chaicos and dr. knight thanks so much for your help! I had my interview and I felt like it went really well. Good luck with everything you guys deserve it !!

chaicos and dr. knight thanks so much for your help! I had my interview and I felt like it went really well. Good luck with everything you guys deserve it !!
ANYTIME. LETS US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. DID THEY MENTION HOW MANY SPOTS ARE STILL AVAILABLE OR WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO INTERVIEW UNTYL?

ANYTIME. LETS US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. DID THEY MENTION HOW MANY SPOTS ARE STILL AVAILABLE OR WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO INTERVIEW UNTYL?

Nope no mention of available spots or when they will stop interviewing. They did tell me that the committee meets on Thursdays but that I wont be notified of a decision until april 15ish b/c of semana santa.

I Am In At Psm Yeeeeeeaa.

congrats chaicos! which school are you going to choose and why if you dont mind me asking?

So far, I am staying with PSM.
I like the area being a smaller town with close residential facilities to the school. I also like the students ( very diverse). They seemed pretty happy and friendly. Ponce also seems to be better known in the USA. I believe better facilities also. I liked the fact that there is more research oportunities. It is also a bigger school.

I just called PSM to verify that they have my app and materials,. The person I spoke to (either Ms. Colón or Ms. Cintrón), said thet patients do have patient contact from the begining so fluency is important...thn she asked how fluent I am :-\ since I'm not fluent, but still learning (and I've taken 8 credits of Spanich classes) she said she would tell the adcom and see what they say. I just got my first interview with HUCM so I'm excited about that but do want the oportunity to interview since there's no telling if/where I might be accepted

(this is the same post from the SJB hopeful tread...)
Hi Everyone, I was just offered an interview w/ SJB! I'm trying to find a place to stay and since I'm not familiar I could use any suggestions. I'm guessing I should fly into LMM airport, and then drive to caguas....but I need to know a few things.

I'm trying to also get a Ponce interview while I'm there so where is the best place to stay?

I might also bring my dog since it will be less expensive (if there aren't any special requirements I have to meet for him to take the trip with me), so I don't care where I stay, but it looks like San Juan has the most pet friendly hotels...would I be at a disadvangate for staying there and needing to travel to each interview?

How long were the SJB and Ponce interview days? Arround what time did you arrive and what time did the day end?

Are some area's safer than others? I haven't been in PR in like 15 years so I don't know what's a good or bad (if any) place to stay since I'll be there by myself (or with my dog).

As for hotel prices...about how much did it cost everyone, or rather what's a reasonable price to pay if I arrive on a sunday and leave tuesday or wednesday.

did you all leave the day of your interview or the next day?

I think this has been asked before but as far as getting the other school to schedule an interview because you're already there...how well did that work for those who tried?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to find the best way to do this where I won't have to take too many days off of work, and school, and make it somewhat affordable since I assume I won't really be able to make a mini vacay like I would love to do

thanks for the help!!
p.s. feel free to add any info about the interview itself, I can't find much detail about the day itself and the things that are covered like fin aid, housing/cost of living, rotations, class size, support systems, USMLEs, student groups, pets ...

(this is the same post from the SJB hopeful tread...)
Hi Everyone, I was just offered an interview w/ SJB! I'm trying to find a place to stay and since I'm not familiar I could use any suggestions. I'm guessing I should fly into LMM airport, and then drive to caguas....but I need to know a few things.

I'm trying to also get a Ponce interview while I'm there so where is the best place to stay?

I might also bring my dog since it will be less expensive (if there aren't any special requirements I have to meet for him to take the trip with me), so I don't care where I stay, but it looks like San Juan has the most pet friendly hotels...would I be at a disadvangate for staying there and needing to travel to each interview?

How long were the SJB and Ponce interview days? Arround what time did you arrive and what time did the day end?

Are some area's safer than others? I haven't been in PR in like 15 years so I don't know what's a good or bad (if any) place to stay since I'll be there by myself (or with my dog).

As for hotel prices...about how much did it cost everyone, or rather what's a reasonable price to pay if I arrive on a sunday and leave tuesday or wednesday.

did you all leave the day of your interview or the next day?

I think this has been asked before but as far as getting the other school to schedule an interview because you're already there...how well did that work for those who tried?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to find the best way to do this where I won't have to take too many days off of work, and school, and make it somewhat affordable since I assume I won't really be able to make a mini vacay like I would love to do

thanks for the help!!
p.s. feel free to add any info about the interview itself, I can't find much detail about the day itself and the things that are covered like fin aid, housing/cost of living, rotations, class size, support systems, USMLEs, student groups, pets ...

1. You probably want to fly to LMM. There is an airport in Ponce, but it just have a few flights coming from states like NY, FL, etc (not sure where you are coming from).
2. You'll need to rent a car about $30-70 per day. You can pick it up at the airport (Avis, Hertz, Almano, they are many). Driving to Caguas will take about 20-50 minutes, depending on traffic. Traffic is pretty bad in PR, and horrible in the mornings in the metro area. Leave with plenty of time. A drive from Caguas to Ponce is not too bad, about an hour.
3. I'm not sure about pets. I have a cat and I'm trying to figure out what to do with him.
4. The interview in SJB started at 9 and it was over by noon. In Ponce it started earlier and depends on the lenght of the interviews. You will have 2 interviews. There is no tour.
5. In general, Caguas and Ponce are pretty much safe places. Of course, it depends where do you go. Just stay away from areas that might look suspicious to you.
6. I stayed with my family, but I think reasonable hotel prices range from $70 to $100. It depends in the hotel, and how far in advance you make a resevation. Caguas has more hotels than Ponce. Some hotels in Ponce that you could check out are: Hilton, Melia,Holyday Inn, and there is a little hotel that is like a house, very close to PSM named Colville. Don't know the number. Is not big but it look cheap,you might want to call and check it out (I never been inside, so I'm not sure of the conditions of the hotel).
7. I left a couple of days later. (I have family in Ponce).
8. I interview in UCC 2/04, PSM 2/05 and SJB 2/06. The first school that called me was SJB. After that I called each school and told them that I was going to be in PR that week, and I was wondering if I could have and interview. PSM replied to me the same day and UCC called me a few days later.
9. Both interviews were pretty laid back. SJB made us wrote an essay first (in English), and then we had a group interview. The interview was in Spanish. The questions were not difficult. They also talked about financial aid (you'll get a financial aid book), and finally the tour. I had two individual interviews in PSM. One in English, one in Spanish. I think my interview questions in PSM were a little bit harder. They asked me about euthanasia, abortion, research experience and a lot of background info. One of the interviewers asked me a lot of awkward questions, for example about the primaries, racism and alliens (I'm being dead serious), but I guess there was a purpose behind those questions. My interviews lasted about 15 minutes each.

Hopefully this will help. Good luck!

WOW you are the BEST liripez!!! :D thank you sooooooo much for answering my questions, and with such detail!

UVA

I just went to PR for my interview at PSM. I am not from PR so this was my 1st time there. It was 3/9 and I called UCC and told them that I would be there @ those dates to see if they would give me an interview. They waited until a few days before the 9th and told me that I could interview the 9th which didn't work for me bc I already had PSM scheduled. I asked them to reschedule and they werent able to give me any dates until the this past friday or later so I have one scheduled for 3/24.

I arrived in San Juan bc it ended up being cheaper w. Spirit and rented a car. My trip was from Wed LATE at night to tuesday LAtE. I rented the car thru hotwire and it cost approx $100 for the entire time. I went with my mom and the 1st night we stayed at the Best Western Pierre. If you have a car be aware that you have to valet and it about $10 a night.It was a nice place but there is nothing to do at night there or @ there. I booked thru hotels.com and it was approx $130 the night. After that we drove to Ponce and stayed at the Ponce Hilton (which is AMAZING) once again I booked thru hotels.com and that cost approx $125 a night. Once again you have to pay for parking but you can choose to park yourself and so its $4-5 a night. After Ponce we went back to San Juan to see UCC and be closer to the airport. WE stayed at the San Juan Beach Hotel. It was a good place for the price. It was $144 a night including the parking, breakfast,and taxes. It is on the beach and on El Condado so there was a lot things to do and see. The rooms werent spectacular but for the area it was a bargain.

My interview at PSM was somewhat different than what others have posted. My interview was only in spanish and I was interviewed along with another candidate. We were interviewed by the counselor and at some point the dean came in and interviewed us as well. At the very end the counselor asked us a few ?s individually. We were asked ?s about our extracurriculars, health issues in PR and the US, prejudices, and were given an ethical issue for the two of us to make a decision on. We then requested a tour and he walked us @ the campus and gave us a quick tour.
Btw: the people all over PR are AMAZINGLY nice it was a shock to see how polite and helping people can be

If you have any other ?s let me know... hope this helps

movinfwd867:
I didn't have a tour of PSM. You liked it? How the facilities look like?

They were nice. I thought that it was interesting the difference between the area of the admin building and the actual places where classes were held. We went into the library which was nice: it has a couple computer center and several places to study including all night center. The building where classes are held is nice it is a lot like 2 story high schools around here. The research building and the building where anatomy labs are nice on the outside we were not able to go in. The area where these buildings are only have one entrance and it monitored by a guard,across from this is the school's clinic. Let me know if you have any ?s

thanks so much movinfwd! I'm really loving the PR threads and all of the support here :D

hi,
my name is Lokesh Goyal, and iam Currently pursuing bachelors from univ. of Mississippi (USA). I was looking forward to join the Ponce School of Medicine but iam not at all fluent in Spanish. Do u think it would be a problem for me if i join the school. do the professors teach in spanish or english?

hi,
my name is Lokesh Goyal, and iam Currently pursuing bachelors from univ. of Mississippi (USA). I was looking forward to join the Ponce School of Medicine but iam not at all fluent in Spanish. Do u think it would be a problem for me if i join the school. do the professors teach in spanish or english?
I cant really afford the medical schools in mainland, so i thought of studying here. Wat do u think? is it a good idea?

Hello loku,

Even though all the material for our classes and exams are in English, some lecturers (and by some I mean most) will give their class in Spanish while using a power point that is in English. So in that sense, you must be very familiar with both languages. Some of my classmates have a hard time being completely fluent but they do a great job and always keep up.

Also, you need to keep in mind that the patients you will treat here are mostly spanish-speakers so you obviously can't get around the Spanish.

Let me know if you want to know more about PSM.

Good luck!

hey,
thanks for the reply. So how do the students do in USMLE tests. I mean do the majority of students get a good score to find a residency in us mainland?. And can u give me an email add or anyone who was not fluent with spanish but was in this college?
thanks

Dear SDNers,

Could any of you comment on what are my chances of getting into the medical school in PR except for the school that only accepts residents of Puerto Rico.

My GPA is 2.9 and I scored a 35 on the MCAT. I live in a primarily hispanic community and my mother is Puerto Rican. I've served as an EMT for 3 years, have done research and graduated from MIT.

What do you think are my chances?

Hey azhrei, your GPA is a bit low but your MCAT makes up for it. As long as you have a good excuse as to why you have that GPA, you should be fine. Seeing that your mother is puertorican you should apply to the UPR Medical Sciences campus, the school requires you have strong ties to PR and I think that being 1/2 puertorican is good enough. I think your chances are not so bad, give it a try and apply to all puertorican schools.

Anybody out there applying to the Puerto Rican schools for noxt fall(2010)? I haven't done the 2ndary yet, still waiting for my AAMC to be processed. I was a Spanish major with a subpar GPA at UT Austin, but lived abroad in Costa Rica and Spain and am fluent in Spanish. Strong Post-Bac GPA while working in a hospital OR and doing cardiovascular research. Or are there any current students who could advise me as to my chances? Thanks!