Post-Bac 2021-2022 Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all,

I just found out about this thread, and it seems that everyone have already submitted applications. Is it too late for me to start applying for the 2021 cycle if I am starting my application now?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I have my first interview for GWU but haven’t heard back from Scripps, Hopkins, or Colombia. Unfortunately didn’t make the cut for Goucher, I think I applied way too late, there was a lot of script delivery issues with PostBac CAS.

My GPA from under grad was 3.65 and for graduate school was 4.0 and did accounting for like 7 years.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice. And what are the chances of getting in after the interview? Like do most people get in as long as they don’t bomb the interview?

Hello all,

I just found out about this thread, and it seems that everyone have already submitted applications. Is it too late for me to start applying for the 2021 cycle if I am starting my application now?
I definitely can’t speak authoritatively on this, but it seems like the Goucher class (the only one I can speak to) is very close to full based on their published class sizes. I don’t know about the other programs, but I think in general the earlier you apply in the cycle, the better your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

It depends on what kind of postbac you are looking for! A lot of the programs with a summer start closed their cycle on the Feb 15 deadline, while some like GWU have a later deadline of March 15. However @boxalarm is right that applying earlier in the cycle is better for most programs since they use rolling admissions rather than a hard deadline, and at this point there are very few seats left to be filled, if any. There are some postbacs that have variable start dates (Loras College comes to mind- no linkages but affordable and connected to a reputable 4 year college) in other semesters. If you're a competitive candidate and have your heart set on a 'big name' program or one with linkages, then that ship has probably sailed for this year, but there are still some very good (imo) options available for programs that might not be as well known but are more flexible with admissions and still a great option in terms of value and getting the education you need.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any info regarding the post bacc program at UCR? Very little to go on from their website, and they haven't emailed me back yet. I've been trying to find out when's their application period and requirements since they haven't uploaded anything of the sort. I would assume they haven't started yet, but I wanted to be certain! Current and previous applicants are welcome to chime in!

Is it acceptable to reach out to a school and ask why you were rejected?

Is it acceptable to reach out to a school and ask why you were rejected?
I asked after I wasn’t taken off waitlist after interview, and the school was really gracious and helpful about it. Ofc ymmv, but I feel like the worst they can do is say no as long as you ask respectfully and thank them for their consideration.

Hey all! I have an interview with LMU on Friday, waiting to hear back from UCI, Mills and waiting to take the GRE for USC and Scripps.

Has anyone heard back from any of these programs?
I’m trying to stay in California as well. I’ve heard back from LMU and just heard back from Mills today (although I think that’s too far for me), and am still waiting to hear back from UCI. Hope your interview went well!

I’m trying to stay in California as well. I’ve heard back from LMU and just heard back from Mills today (although I think that’s too far for me), and am still waiting to hear back from UCI. Hope your interview went well!
That's awesome! Did you get accepted to both? Out of curiosity, what standardized test score did you submit to Mills and what did you get for it?

That's awesome! Did you get accepted to both? Out of curiosity, what standardized test score did you submit to Mills and what did you get for it?
Yeah. I submitted my SAT. My standardized test score was only high for reading comprehension lol. I think for math I had like a 640, which is somewhat low, I think. Pretty frustrating that you're being judged on a test you took a long time ago (for me at least lol.)

Just an FYI to any applicants for the next cycle who might be browsing this thread that PostBacCAS is hosting a webinar on strengthening your application for PBPM programs on March 4! Another semi-related resource that might be helpful for future career-changer applicants is this podcast with Bryn Mawr's program director.

Yeah. I submitted my SAT. My standardized test score was only high for reading comprehension lol. I think for math I had like a 640, which is somewhat low, I think. Pretty frustrating that you're being judged on a test you took a long time ago (for me at least lol.)
Haha oh absolutely not fair. I’ve been trying to take any standardized test (ACT/SAT/GRE) since November and this weeks is the first that hasn’t been cancelled! So I’m literally waiting to submit ASAP.
What was your GPA?

this podcast with Bryn Mawr's program director.
This episode is very helpful, and I remember it being particularly so for considering the application timeline though the conversation is wide-ranging enough to be informative about a number of topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
This advice is probably coming really late but please do not go to Columbia's post bac program. I am doing fairly well in it thankfully but it has destroyed my soul. Everyone I know and am close to in the program feels the same way. I would not do it again if I could go back in time. BM and Goucher and Scripps seem like great/healthy/happy programs in comparison

This advice is probably coming really late but please do not go to Columbia's post bac program. I am doing fairly well in it thankfully but it has destroyed my soul. Everyone I know and am close to in the program feels the same way. I would not do it again if I could go back in time. BM and Goucher and Scripps seem like great/healthy/happy programs in comparison
Can I ask what your background is? I'm a recent Columbia grad and looking at the postbacc program since I had many pre-med friends be very successful at Columbia, but I've been seeing a lot of negativity towards the program. Do you think the reason for Columbia not having a good rep is because a lot of the post-baccs were unprepared for the workload, or is there an inherent difference between undergrad premed and the post bacc that most might not be aware of?

I am apparently really late to the game here. I’m looking at applying to programs for fall 2021 - ideally with some sort of linkage, but that doesn’t restrict me to only applying to their MD/DO program.

Are there any good resources out there to dissect all the options/deadlines? Location and price are not a concern.

Thanks!

Are there any good resources out there to dissect all the options/deadlines? Location and price are not a concern.

Thanks!
If you haven't looked at the AAMC list, it might be of use though it looks like it might not offer the option to sort by deadline. I think that the PostbacCAS list does have deadline information, but not every postbac will be listed depending on if they use the system for their applications.

If you're interested in a fairly structured program that will also give you the flexibility to apply now but start in the fall, Penn, Harvard Extension, or Berkeley Extension might fit the bill? Penn seems to have a few linkage agreements, and I've heard mixed to positive things about the program overall. I'm speaking with more familiarity with career-changer programs though, and it looks like you might be in a different boat since you've been through a med school application cycle already, and I assume you have all your prereqs done. Either way, best of luck!

• Love
If you haven't looked at the AAMC list, it might be of use though it looks like it might not offer the option to sort by deadline. I think that the PostbacCAS list does have deadline information, but not every postbac will be listed depending on if they use the system for their applications.

If you're interested in a fairly structured program that will also give you the flexibility to apply now but start in the fall, Penn, Harvard Extension, or Berkeley Extension might fit the bill? Penn seems to have a few linkage agreements, and I've heard mixed to positive things about the program overall. I'm speaking with more familiarity with career-changer programs though, and it looks like you might be in a different boat since you've been through a med school application cycle already, and I assume you have all your prereqs done. Either way, best of luck!

This is reallly helpful! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Hi All, I’ve been stalking this thread for a while now. I’m still waiting to hear back from BM is that a bad sign? It’s been a month now I’m starting to get worried 😬

Can anyone give insight as to how competitive the average programs are? Should I apply to a small handful or should I be casting a wide net?

Hey everyone, has anyone ever heard back from UVA? I applied in early February, and it is now late-March. It's been almost two months, and I still haven't heard anything from them. Is it normal to wait this long for a decision?

Last edited:
Hey everyone, has anyone ever heard back from UVA? I applied in early February, and it is now late-March. It's been almost two months, and I still haven't heard anything from them. Is it normal to wait this long for a decision?
I applied in late January and received a rejection letter about a month later. I would reach out to them, it's possible there was a system error that didn't send out a decision notification

Hi all! Does anyone have advice on the JHU career changer post bac? I'm waiting to hear back after interviewing, and am eager to hear more perspectives. I know it's notorious for being difficult to succeed in, but I'd love to hear some personal anecdotes about how people found the program. Apologies if I'm not posting this in the appropriate thread.

Hey all, so I’ve gotten a few acceptances from my mid to safety programs but was flat rejected from my top-BM. I applied really late in the cycle and I think it really hurt me. Would I be insane to wait an additional year?

Hey all, so I’ve gotten a few acceptances from my mid to safety programs but was flat rejected from my top-BM. I applied really late in the cycle and I think it really hurt me. Would I be insane to wait an additional year?
There’s also practical issues factored in like payment and gaining more experience at the job I currently have in an ED.

Can anyone give insight as to how competitive the average programs are? Should I apply to a small handful or should I be casting a wide net?
I would cast a large net. I went to a coffee chat with Scripps in December and their directer referenced the Fauci Effect and how real it was–so many more applicants have applied this year/last for this year's cohort.

For frame of reference, I applied to Scripps (denied), Mills (still waiting for next steps), LMU (accepted), UCI (just finished my interview last week), and CSUF (still waiting for next steps).

I would say it depends on how popular the programs are and how late you apply. Hope this is helpful!

• Care
I would cast a large net. I went to a coffee chat with Scripps in December and their directer referenced the Fauci Effect and how real it was–so many more applicants have applied this year/last for this year's cohort.

For frame of reference, I applied to Scripps (denied), Mills (still waiting for next steps), LMU (accepted), UCI (just finished my interview last week), and CSUF (still waiting for next steps).

I would say it depends on how popular the programs are and how late you apply. Hope this is helpful!

Thank you SO much!!!

Hey all! Has anyone heard back from Columbia or Tufts yet? I submitted my Columbia app about 5 weeks ago now, and I submitted Tufts well before their 3/1 deadline, like January, even though I know they aren't rolling.

I have an offer from Georgetown that I'm likely going to accept, but I currently live in Boston so an acceptance from Tufts could really change things but I have to get back to Georgetown with my decisions ASAP 🥴

Hi all! Does anyone have advice on the JHU career changer post bac? I'm waiting to hear back after interviewing, and am eager to hear more perspectives. I know it's notorious for being difficult to succeed in, but I'd love to hear some personal anecdotes about how people found the program. Apologies if I'm not posting this in the appropriate thread.
Hi! I went through the Hopkins interview process a few weeks ago, and while it ended in rejection (🙃), I learned a ton from the current student they connected me with! Her and I spoke for well over an hour. The students don't report back to admissions or anything like that, so we were able to have a really candid discussion about what being in the program is like, how to balance your time, etc.

There’s also practical issues factored in like payment and gaining more experience at the job I currently have in an ED.
I don't think it is at all "insane" to decide to reapply next year earlier in the cycle, with more experience and other things like finances more sorted out. I've seen people on SDN write that they reapplied the next year and were accepted to their top programs. Its ultimately a very personal decision, but its a really big choice to make, and for me, I would probably lean to reapplying if I wasn't very enthusiastic about the programs I was accepted to. Sometimes a little longer of a road ends up getting you exactly where you wanted to go.

Hey all! Has anyone heard back from Columbia or Tufts yet? I submitted my Columbia app about 5 weeks ago now, and I submitted Tufts well before their 3/1 deadline, like January, even though I know they aren't rolling.

I have an offer from Georgetown that I'm likely going to accept, but I currently live in Boston so an acceptance from Tufts could really change things but I have to get back to Georgetown with my decisions ASAP 🥴
I applied exactly on March 1st (lol) and I haven't gotten a response back either from Tufts. I think I saw on the application they'd give us a decision on April 1st? Not 100% about that though
I don't think it is at all "insane" to decide to reapply next year earlier in the cycle, with more experience and other things like finances more sorted out. I've seen people on SDN write that they reapplied the next year and were accepted to their top programs. Its ultimately a very personal decision, but its a really big choice to make, and for me, I would probably lean to reapplying if I wasn't very enthusiastic about the programs I was accepted to. Sometimes a little longer of a road ends up getting you exactly where you wanted to go.
I agree, it's not "insane" at all. Ppl say getting into med school is a marathon, not a sprint. You can easily spend another year gaining volunteering hours, shadowing, clinical hours, or whatever you want to do to strengthen your post-bacc/med school application and possibly lighten your workload while you're in the post-bacc.

Hi! In the same boat as you with Columbia and Tufts! I applied to Columbia in mid-January and just got my acceptance letter from them. If you haven't received a decision try reaching out about the decision timeline! Also Tufts doesn't do rolling decisions and decisions/ interview invitations are supposed to be released tomorrow 4/1!

Hey all! Has anybunny heard back from Columbia or Tufts yet? I submitted my Columbia app about 5 weeks ago now, and I submitted Tufts well before their 3/1 deadline, like January, even though I know they aren't rolling.

Just got an X from Columbia a few days ago, and from the looks of it I applied just a bit before you, so keep your eyes on the look out!

Still waiting on the University of Florida PHPB decision letter. . . applied in early-mid February and have been stuck in an increasingly warmer purgatory ever since. Also, can anyone explain what an Easter egg hunt is (in relation to applications)? lol I'm not following along

hahaha wait I think the site is changing words because its close to Easter or something. Easter egg hunt is an inter view (space added so it doesn't change it), Easter egg collection is an appli cation, and it changes any one to any bunny.

also wait list is purgatory

Last edited:
hahaha wait I think the site is changing words because its close to Easter or something. Easter egg hunt is an inter view (space added so it doesn't change it), Easter egg collection is an appli cation, and it changes any one to any bunny.

also wait list is purgatory
This is hilarious, I love it! Yes! Yes! Yes! Thanks for the explainer haha also let ter I think becomes message in a bottle

Do you guys send thank you emails to interviewers after the interview? If so, how long after the interview? (Would they think it would just seem insincere? Would it matter to them?) Asking for a friend.

Edit: these easter references are making my day haha, (bless you = than k you)

Last edited:
Do you guys send thank you emails to interviewers after the interview? If so, how long after the interview? (Would they think it would just seem insincere? Would it matter to them?) Asking for a friend.

Edit: these easter references are making my day haha, (bless you = than k you)
I believe that it is good form to send follow up emails, but I think it is better if you have something of genuine interest in doing so. Sending a template email for the sake of it will probably not help (maybe even hurt, but idk). Use it as an opportunity to highlight the strong points of the interview, maybe mention something that you have done since, or follow up with a question that you had (or they had) during the interview. One thing I've done before is reached out and thanked them for such interesting questions, and provided an answer that I hadn't thought of to one of them that I thought was discussion worthy. I tend to treat interviewers like friends, and try to establish a rapport with them, and if it goes well afterwards I will still try and talk to them. You'll possibly (maybe probably) get different advice from other people, but those are just my two bits of Easter wisdom.

Accepted to George Washington and Jefferson! Anyone have any insight on any of these programs?

Last edited:
Hello all,
I was accepted to the Harvard Extension School postbacc 11 days ago.
If anyone is going to be starting there or is already attending drop me a line.

I'm planning on applying during the next app cycle with hopes to join a program beginning summer of 2022. Through my prelim research it seems like most applications open this coming august and I cannot believe that's just 1 month away!!! I feel like I've been waiting for this moment to roll around for forever and now it's finally happening. Any and all advice for someone about to begin the process would be GREATLY appreciated and highly valued. Good luck to all of my fellow applicants!!!