This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StressoEspresso

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm a long time lurker on SDN and recently made an account to get some advice. I'm applying to SMP and post-bac programs to improve my academic record (I have an upward trend in the last two years). I already have tons of research experience, clinical shadow hours from scribing, volunteer hours, other EC's and a pretty good MCAT score so this is the last thing I have left to nail down.

I was accepted to the Georgetown SMP program and I've heard good and bad things so far (but that has held true of most of the programs I've looked into so far). I'm waiting to hear back on a few more like JHU Health Sciences Intensive, BU MAMS program and Drexel. I thrive in smaller groups where I can get more attention from faculty and have a definite structure. That said, what are your thoughts on all of these programs and which would you say is would give the best shot at an MD school? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your GPA.

Georgetown has a connection to Georgetown but only for the top percent I believe. I’m unsure about the other schools!

I just read a comprehensive review about Georgetown on here someplace! Maybe try a search and see if it pops up! Its on this page several threads down!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys! Is there anything you've seen for the JHU Health Sciences Program?

Hi Guys!

I'm a long time lurker on SDN and recently made an account to get some advice. I'm applying to SMP and post-bac programs to improve my academic record (I have an upward trend in the last two years). I already have tons of research experience, clinical shadow hours from scribing, volunteer hours, other EC's and a pretty good MCAT score so this is the last thing I have left to nail down.

I was accepted to the Georgetown SMP program and I've heard good and bad things so far (but that has held true of most of the programs I've looked into so far). I'm waiting to hear back on a few more like JHU Health Sciences Intensive, BU MAMS program and Drexel. I thrive in smaller groups where I can get more attention from faculty and have a definite structure. That said, what are your thoughts on all of these programs and which would you say is would give the best shot at an MD school? Thanks for your help!
All are good. Go for the cheapest and shortest.

Reactions: 1 users
I was apart of the BMS program at Rosalind. I liked it cause it was only 1 year and you could apply and get in the the medical school immediately after you finish the program. If you have any questions PM me.

Hi! Im a little late to this forum but looking for some advice. I am a Canadian applicant, looking to do MD/DO in the states. My CGPA is low, around a 3.3 with my SGPA, slightly higher. I have a rising trend with my last 3 years 3.65+. I got accepted to Pitt BMP (SMP program) and waiting on Boston MAMS. I have also got acceptances to traditional MSc. programs in Canada with funding due to my research background and upward trend. SMPs are extremely expensive and with the limited medical school options in Canada and most having GPA cut offs 3.6/3.7, I am hoping to gain admission into a MD/DO in the states. Any advice if I should do the SMP despite the cost? will it help? I would work to get the highest gpa I can during it and do as well as I can on the MCAT afterwards (haven't taken it yet, practice scores from before was around 507-509). Or should I stay in Canada and complete the MSc for free essentially and hopefully that helps make me stand out as a graduate for SOME schools?