This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmgra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am in the process of deciding between two post-bacc programs: The University of Michigan's MEDPREP program and Agnes Scott's program. I have heard more about Agnes Scott's program, as it has been around for much longer, but I do not want to discount Michigan's program because it does seem to be quite rigorous and it does have a linkage agreement with their medical school (much better medical school than Mercer University - the linkage medical school with Agnes Scott). I would be so grateful if folks who have attended either program could share their thoughts, including the factors that you prioritized in making your decision. I am completely torn and have to make a decision by this week! If I decide on Michigan, I will need to move in the next few weeks (am currently living in Atlanta - hence the appeal of Agnes Scott).

My main questions/concerns:
1) How much does the name and prestige of the school matter? Everyone knows The University of Michigan, but I have also heard that the Agnes Scott program has also gained a respected reputation over the years.

2) I went to the University of Michigan for undergrad and remember being intimidated by the large class sizes. One of the things I like about the Agnes Scott program is the small class sizes and the fact that you will be taking all of the courses with your cohort. Can anyone who has attended Michigan's program speak to your experience taking classes among undergraduates and your ability to get closer/get attention from professors? Similarly, for Agnes Scott folks, did you find having these small class sizes helpful and easier to get to know your professors?

3) I know that Michigan is a huge research institution with many incredible research and clinical opportunities. However, having lived in Atlanta for almost 6 years, I have become pretty familiar with the resources and opportunities here in the healthcare realm and do not think it would be too difficult to find additional volunteering and shadowing opportunities. How much does the amount of resources/opportunities connected to a university and their post-bacc program matter? I am not aware of any research or clinical opps tied to Agnes Scott, but like I said, I feel I could find those elsewhere.

4) In-state Residency Tuition. Unfortunately, I applied for in-state residency/tuition late in the game and will likely not hear back about my status before I begin classes (eeek!) - so it is a big risk to choose Michigan and hope for in-state tuition. If I don't qualify for in-state, the price comparison between Michigan and Agnes Scott is tremendous (about 60K) - is Michigan's program worth the price? I am sincerely hoping for in-state as my parents are permanent legal residents and have always been, but I'm unsure if that would be enough.

5) How supportive have the staff and students been for both programs? There seems to be one director and one advisor for post-bacc students for both schools. I've heard that MEDPREP students have weekly check-ins with the advisor, and that the cohort meets weekly as part of their "Foundations for Aspiring Physicians" course, which is appealing. Have students who attended this program felt that they received the support and advising that the needed, especially given the large class sizes and the competitive nature of Michigan? For Agnes Scott folks, can you speak to the academic support you received while in the program?

My apologies for this very long post! I am feeling completely stuck and need to make a decision very, very soon. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: