Post bacc or masters? Low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentspade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the DAT a few days ago and didn't do as well as I had hoped. AA 17, 18 TS. My gpa is low about a cGPA of 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.2. I am about to start my senior year of college next month, and was just wondering what my best options to hopefully get into dental school in the future. Post bacc or masters to help with my gpa? I do plan on retaking the DAT.

*Edit
-I'm a biology major so I have already taken a lot of upper levels. ~9 credits away from a bachelors in biology. So I was thinking a masters might help more? idk help

Members don't see this ad.

Here's an idea.
Dedicate yourself to your grades and get a 4.0 your last 2 semesters. Use this upcoming semester, and winter break to study for the DAT and try to get a 20+ and then apply for next cycle.

Show the schools an upward trend and kill the DAT. If that doesn't work out, then consider a post-bacc or masters. Just my two cents, I'm just a fellow rising senior.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's an idea.
Dedicate yourself to your grades and get a 4.0 your last 2 semesters. Use this upcoming semester, and winter break to study for the DAT and try to get a 20+ and then apply for next cycle.

Show the schools an upward trend and kill the DAT. If that doesn't work out, then consider a post-bacc or masters. Just my two cents, I'm just a fellow rising senior.
This is exactly what I would recommend. Bust your butt this next year so that you don't have to spend (literally) thousands of dollars on a post bacc/SMP/masters program.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No need for a masters. Two 4.0's (@dentprincess) should land you in the 3.5 range, then slay the DAT and you're in there.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all! Appreciate the speedy responses. What do you recommend these last two semesters look like? 15-18 credits? All upper level sciences?

Here's an idea.

Thanks all! Appreciate the speedy responses. What do you recommend these last two semesters look like? 15-18 credits? All upper level sciences?

As many credit hours as you can handle and still do well!

Reactions: 1 user
The more upper-level sciences the better!

Alrighty! Just wondering, why do you suggest just doing well this last year and retaking the DAT? Are my stats (okay) to say the least, where just two semesters of a 4.0 will suffice? + retaking the DAT, of course. I was really convinced that a post-bacc or masters was my only hope and option.

Alrighty! Just wondering, why do you suggest just doing well this last year and retaking the DAT? Are my stats (okay) to say the least, where just two semesters of a 4.0 will suffice? + retaking the DAT, of course. I was really convinced that a post-bacc or masters was my only hope and option.
Calculate your GPA and see how two 4.0's will affect you. I went from a 3.0 to a 3.5 in four semesters with 4.0's. I believe I started senior year with a 3.3/3.2 as well. A 3.5 puts you at the average for most schools, or close enough to the average where it won't really hurt you. Taking lots of upper-level courses and receiving good grades shows that you are capable of handling a difficult courseload. Combining a good upward trend with a strong DAT will put you in a position to get you some interviews. Of course, a strong PS and ECs will only help.

Yep, just calculated it. I'll have to take 18 credits and get a 4.0 (just like you all said) to just touch 3.5. Do you think thats okay? Also, I know upper level sciences is just a broad category, but I read somewhere that dental schools love seeing animal courses taken over plant courses. Understandable! But there are only so many offered at a given time, ya know?? Eh. Sorry for all the questions. Just feel like I'm in a tough spot right now and everything I do this last year must be perfect >.<

Yep, just calculated it. I'll have to take 18 credits and get a 4.0 (just like you all said) to just touch 3.5. Do you think thats okay? Also, I know upper level sciences is just a broad category, but I read somewhere that dental schools love seeing animal courses taken over plant courses. Understandable! But there are only so many offered at a given time, ya know?? Eh. Sorry for all the questions. Just feel like I'm in a tough spot right now and everything I do this last year must be perfect >.<

It's understandable that you're stressed and feel a lot of pressure. I think what we're trying to say is that you're not in a position where you MUST do a post bacc, you still have a chance to make it into dental school without all that.
Even though you may not increase your overall GPA much by getting two 4.0s. It will still be impressive to show dental schools you got straight As and turned things around.
Also you have time to sufficiently study and take the DAT and do amazing on it! You gotta put in that time and effort though.

Try to take a good mix of science courses and lighter courses from other subjects this year. You don't need to kill your self with 17 credits of upper level sciences and labs.
Look at the recommended courses for the dental schools you wanna go to. That will give you a good idea on what to take.

Take a deep breath, and remember you got this. Just believe in yourself and try to stay positive. At the end of the day, if it doesn't work out then you can always do a post bacc or masters. That option will be there for you if you want or need it, but why give up when it's not over yet?

Reactions: 1 users
I concur with what was said above, lol. Stick to recommended courses (anatomy, physio, biochem, physical biochem) and add in some other courses that may be applicable (neuro, neuropharm, etc.). Take easier non-science courses. I killed myself one semester by taking max credits with all upper-levels and it was not easy, but it's doable.