Post-bacc paid research assistant jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evie24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm graduating in May with a B.A. in psychology. I intend on one day pursuing a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology. I only have about 1.5 years of research experience so I wanted to take time off to work as an RA before applying to Ph.D. programs. I've been applying and keeping an eye out for positions for the past few months. I've had a couple of interviews and a few email correspondences from people but nothing has really manifested from these. I feel like job postings and such are kind of dwindling down a little bit and it's giving me some anxiety.

I've looked at hospitals, research centers, etc. I'm most interested in working at a VA - I'll will obviously work anywhere at this point - but I have not seen any job postings for any VA positions - is there some sort of trick to finding these? I even corresponded with a researcher at a VA who seemed eager to work with me (we had a several email conversations and a few hour long phone conversations about the research she and her colleagues are conducting and what I would do as an RA on each project). She told me to apply on usajobs - still haven't seen a posting for the job or any similar jobs.

I was hoping someone who's acquainted with the process could give me a few leads on specific places to apply - I'll pretty much go anywhere in the continental US.

Members don't see this ad.

most current RAs are just finding out about grad school acceptances, so if anything, more postings should open up soon. It is possible to get jobs via formal postings, but you will probably have more success contacting people directly, and be prepared to contact more than a few people (i.e. at least in the tens). Applying directly through the VA will be especially tricky as they have hiring preference for veterans, so if a veteran is qualified for the job they will almost always be selected. If you're a veteran, go for it, but otherwise I would try to get in touch with the researchers directly.

most current RAs are just finding out about grad school acceptances, so if anything, more postings should open up soon. It is possible to get jobs via formal postings, but you will probably have more success contacting people directly, and be prepared to contact more than a few people (i.e. at least in the tens). Applying directly through the VA will be especially tricky as they have hiring preference for veterans, so if a veteran is qualified for the job they will almost always be selected. If you're a veteran, go for it, but otherwise I would try to get in touch with the researchers directly.

You may be able to find RA positions at local VA especially unpaid. I would contact the psychology departments and ask if any researcher is looking for an RA. That's how I got my position- through networking. Consider going to a psychology grand rounds (usually held weekly at the auditorium of many VA's where you could potentially network with clinical a and ask about RA positions. Networking is an important skill here).

Also...
2/24/2016
There is a research Jon in Portland VA, but they seek MA level. But you might want to contact them in case there are other opportunities:

"I’m looking for an experienced master’s or doctoral-level research associate – someone who has a solid understanding of research methods, and while not essential, my preference is someone who has had experience conducting, or is at least familiar with systematic review methodology.

The person in this position will be a part of my five-member team, with the primary responsibility of developing and prioritizing topics nominated for an AHRQ’s Effective Healthcare Program systematic review. The position requires a great deal of multitasking ability, and the ability to quickly dive into and understand the context of a wide range of health, behavioral health, and health systems topics, and to evaluate the existing evidence to determine whether a new systematic review on the topic would be duplicative and feasible. More information about the process can be found here: http://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/evidence-based-reports/topic-nomination/index.html

The job description is posted here: https://pvarf.applicantpro.com/jobs/352734.html

Members don't see this ad :)
You may be able to find RA positions at local VA especially unpaid. I would contact the psychology departments and ask if any researcher is looking for an RA. That's how I got my position- through networking. Consider going to a psychology grand rounds (usually held weekly at the auditorium of many VA's where you could potentially network with clinical a and ask about RA positions. Networking is an important skill here).

Also...
2/24/2016
There is a research Jon in Portland VA, but they seek MA level. But you might want to contact them in case there are other opportunities:

"I’m looking for an experienced master’s or doctoral-level research associate – someone who has a solid understanding of research methods, and while not essential, my preference is someone who has had experience conducting, or is at least familiar with systematic review methodology.

The person in this position will be a part of my five-member team, with the primary responsibility of developing and prioritizing topics nominated for an AHRQ’s Effective Healthcare Program systematic review. The position requires a great deal of multitasking ability, and the ability to quickly dive into and understand the context of a wide range of health, behavioral health, and health systems topics, and to evaluate the existing evidence to determine whether a new systematic review on the topic would be duplicative and feasible. More information about the process can be found here: http://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/evidence-based-reports/topic-nomination/index.html

The job description is posted here: https://pvarf.applicantpro.com/jobs/352734.html

Thanks for the lead!

Try this one too:
(Brown University)

Dear Colleagues--

I am seeking a Clinical Research Assistant for an NIH research study of pregnancy smoking and fetal and infant development at Brown Medical School, Providence, RI. I would welcome any help in distributing the position posting below and attached.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

Best regards,
Laura Stroud
Full-Time Clinical Research Position: Infant Biobehavior Researcher

Brown Medical School, BA/BS Required

*Great opportunity to work with newborn infants
*Be part of cutting-edge research
*Work alongside expert faculty and staff

The Maternal and Infant Studies Laboratory at Brown Medical School (Laura Stroud, Principal Investigator) is seeking a full-time research assistant. Research in our laboratory is focused on biobehavioral mechanisms linking maternal smoking and depression during pregnancy and infant behavioral development. We are seeking a research assistant to conduct behavioral examinations in newborns in the hospital and through home visits in the Providence area. The RA will also assist with coding of novel measures of behavior in the fetus. The research assistant would also be involved with dataset management, data entry, and data analysis. Additional responsibilities include assistance with recruitment and supervision of undergraduate research assistants. Opportunities to conduct independent research, submit presentations to conferences, prepare papers for publication are available. Start date March-July, 2016. Two year commitment is needed.

Qualifications

Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Neuroscience, Biology or related fields by May/June 2016 is required. Facility with Excel and Word and strong organizational and communication skills are required. Evening and weekend availability and reliable transportation is required.

Prior research experience, experience with infants, and experience with SPSS statistical software and REDCap data capture are preferred.

To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Carrie Best, M.P.H., [email protected],

with “Infant Biobehavior Researcher Application” in the subject line.