Post Bacc/ SMP I Really Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osujic1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here goes...

I'm finishing up my last semester and expect to graduate in January. However graduating is kind of bitter sweet since my stats are pretty awful. 3.09 overall/ 2.6 science. I wasn't a very good student my freshman and sophomore year and did particular bad in my chemistry and courses. I also got an F in calculus which I am just now retaking and maintaining an A average. Replacing the F with an A in calculus in addition to my other courses this semester will only help my gpa a little and I expect to finish with a gpa around 3.2 overall and 2.7 science (roughly). These stats are still very low.

To make things worse I did horrible on my MCAT. Like very very horrible. (I got a 488 on the new scale which equates to an 18/19 on the old version). I knew I wasn't ready but I felt pressure from everyone to hurry up and take it. I really really regret not waiting. Looking back Im devastated with my stats. I know I can do so much better.

So Ive been looking at SMP and postbacc programs for several months. Just to get an idea Ive looked at

Wake Forest- Master of Science in Biomedical Science Program
Barry- Masters in Biomedical Science
University of Vermont- Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program
Tulane University- Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology
Georgetown University- Special Masters Program in Physiology
University of South Florida- Masters in Medical Sciences
George Washington University- Master of Science in Anatomical and Translational Sciences
Rutgers University New Brunswick- Masters of Biomedical Sciences
Rutgers University Newark- Masters of Biomedical Sciences
Tufts University- Masters of Biomedical Sciences
University of North Texas- Masters of Medical Sciences
UCinccinati - Special Master’s Program in Physiology
Temple- Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program

and a few others

of course I've also looked into many of the most "famous" smp programs as well offered at John Hopkins, Tuffs, Loyola and BU

My thing is looking at some of these programs I feel like my credentials are to low even for these. Im not sure if thats me being pessimistic or realistic. Ucinncinati for example wants a minimum 3.0 gpa and a 28 mcat. Same with Georgetown. BU wants a 3.0 and a 25 mcat same with Loyola. If I read correctly Temple's postbacc wants a 3.4gpa and although taking the mcat is preferred but not necessarily required (can be substituted with GRE scores) I won't have a 3.4 by the time the application is due.

Im really lost although not entirely discouraged. I just need some direction. There has to be someone willing to take me. Am I looking in the wrong places? Should I apply to these programs anyway? I thought about retaking some of my chemistry courses at my school next semester but the C's I got won't be replaced. Also my school has a really horrible reputation for their chemistry department instructors (which is not an excuse I just am not willing/ can't afford to take the course again and not do excellent) If I take chemistry somewhere else, it won't count towards my gpa since the class is at another institution and my school will only take the credit and not the grade. *Sigh* Someone help me.

Surely all hope is not lost. Has anyone been in a similar condition and gotten in? Are the minimum requirements posted on the schools website deadset or do I still have a shot? Are there any programs that might be better for me to look into? Any advice would really be appreciated.

Sorry that was so long. thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the new MCAT but I assume you meant to say it's equivalent to an 18 to 19/45, which would be really really low. I believe a 32/45 landed one around the 85th percentile and that was sufficient to gain interviews. With that low of a GPA and MCAT score, no, a medical masters wouldn't be worth it. The ONLY way you'd want to do a medical masters program is if it guaranteed you an seat in the next class, contingent on meeting a certain GPA requirement (e.g. if you maintain a 3.7+ we WILL guarantee you a seat in the class 20XX) . I doubt many programs do this. And if they don't, you won't get interviews with that MCAT so there's no point in applying for a masters program.

Get your MCAT up to around the 85th percentile on practice tests, THEN take the actual test. If you score in the 85th percentile on the actual test, then do a post-bac/SMP OR retake all the medical school pre-reqs you scored below a B in. Alternatively, you could retake those classes now and then take the MCAT. Either way, your MCAT needs to come up before you start getting interviews.

Here goes...

I'm finishing up my last semester and expect to graduate in January. However graduating is kind of bitter sweet since my stats are pretty awful. 3.09 overall/ 2.6 science. I wasn't a very good student my freshman and sophomore year and did particular bad in my chemistry and courses. I also got an F in calculus which I am just now retaking and maintaining an A average. Replacing the F with an A in calculus in addition to my other courses this semester will only help my gpa a little and I expect to finish with a gpa around 3.2 overall and 2.7 science (roughly). These stats are still very low.

To make things worse I did horrible on my MCAT. Like very very horrible. (I got a 488 on the new scale which equates to an 18/19 on the old version). I knew I wasn't ready but I felt pressure from everyone to hurry up and take it. I really really regret not waiting. Looking back Im devastated with my stats. I know I can do so much better.

So Ive been looking at SMP and postbacc programs for several months. Just to get an idea Ive looked at

George Washington University- Master of Science in Anatomical and Translational Sciences

and a few others

of course I've also looked into many of the most "famous" smp programs as well offered at John Hopkins, Tuffs, Loyola and BU

My thing is looking at some of these programs I feel like my credentials are to low even for these. Im not sure if thats me being pessimistic or realistic. Ucinncinati for example wants a minimum 3.0 gpa and a 28 mcat. Same with Georgetown. BU wants a 3.0 and a 25 mcat same with Loyola. If I read correctly Temple's postbacc wants a 3.4gpa and although taking the mcat is preferred but not necessarily required (can be substituted with GRE scores) I won't have a 3.4 by the time the application is due.

Im really lost although not entirely discouraged. I just need some direction. There has to be someone willing to take me. Am I looking in the wrong places? Should I apply to these programs anyway? I thought about retaking some of my chemistry courses at my school next semester but the C's I got won't be replaced. Also my school has a really horrible reputation for their chemistry department instructors (which is not an excuse I just am not willing/ can't afford to take the course again and not do excellent) If I take chemistry somewhere else, it won't count towards my gpa since the class is at another institution and my school will only take the credit and not the grade. *Sigh* Someone help me.

Surely all hope is not lost. Has anyone been in a similar condition and gotten in? Are the minimum requirements posted on the schools website deadset or do I still have a shot? Are there any programs that might be better for me to look into? Any advice would really be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here goes...

and a few others

With your grades and mcat, your chance of doing well in masters is extremely low. It would be a waste of money and time. People who do well in masters are the ones who have brains but slacked off during college. Harsh but true.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your grades and mcat, your chance of doing well in masters is extremely low. It would be a waste of money and time. People who do well in masters are the ones who have brains but slacked off during college. Harsh but true.

Well sir, I think I defiantly have "brains"enough do well in the program especially considering my upward trend since starting undergrad. (freshman year was rough and finished with a 2.5overall) My concern was more about getting into the program and about the MCAT (which I will inevitably have to retake) not about my performance after getting in. Although I do appreciate the advice/concern. I know some of these programs have mcat prep tied into them which would defiantly be useful since the way I prepared last time obviously wasn't useful. It's true, I have a clear weakness in chemistry which admissions will see on my application but thats why Ive also included the option of attending a post bacc in this forum. My only thing is the post baccs Ive looked into sofar have less direct ties with the medical schools. Many of the smps have pretty decent matriculation rates directly from the program and in several cases guarantee at least an interview. Not really the case with the post baccs.
I don't think people in general cant do well if they apply themselves, something I wish I would have focused more on during undergrad. I do appreciate your input and honesty but I disagree. People who do well in the program are the ones who work hard for it.

Well sir, I think I defiantly have "brains"enough do well in the program especially considering my upward trend since starting undergrad. (freshman year was rough and finished with a 2.5overall) My concern was more about getting into the program and about the MCAT (which I will inevitably have to retake) not about my performance after getting in. Although I do appreciate the advice/concern. I know some of these programs have mcat prep tied into them which would defiantly be useful since the way I prepared last time obviously wasn't useful. It's true, I have a clear weakness in chemistry which admissions will see on my application but thats why Ive also included the option of attending a post bacc in this forum. My only thing is the post baccs Ive looked into sofar have less direct ties with the medical schools. Many of the smps have pretty decent matriculation rates directly from the program and in several cases guarantee at least an interview. Not really the case with the post baccs.
I don't think people in general cant do well if they apply themselves, something I wish I would have focused more on during undergrad. I do appreciate your input and honesty but I disagree. People who do well in the program are the ones who work hard for it.

"Definitely"

Don't discount Post-baccs so quickly. There are many people that did an "informal post-bacc", meaning it wasn't an official post-bacc program, myself included. There are fewer statistics on these people, none that I have seen. I simply retook two classes and then took 10 additional upper science classes and did well. This raised my ~3.0 gpa to 3.2, I did very well on the mcat, and I got experiences volunteering/teaching/scribing. I only applied MD and got a solid amount of interviews. If you did something similar, first of all you would pay significantly less money. Secondly it would be easier and most likely faster than an official program. Thirdly, if you apply DO as well then you would definitely have a good chance.

The SMPs and official post-bacc programs carry big risks in addition to a hefty tuition. There are many state schools where you can matriculate as an out of state student and pay barely more than the undergrads to retake/take classes (PM me if you want to know more).

Are you comfortable sharing your state of residence and if you're URM? Depending on you answers, I may have suggestions. You can PM me as well.

The simplest and most efficient strategy is to retake all C/D/F courses and use the DO grade replacement policy to bump your GPA. Retake the MCAT and score around 503 and you should be fine for DO.

MD is not an option so don't waste your time dealing with master's programs.

"Definitely"

Don't discount Post-baccs so quickly. There are many people that did an "informal post-bacc", meaning it wasn't an official post-bacc program, myself included. There are fewer statistics on these people, none that I have seen. I simply retook two classes and then took 10 additional upper science classes and did well. This raised my ~3.0 gpa to 3.2, I did very well on the mcat, and I got experiences volunteering/teaching/scribing. I only applied MD and got a solid amount of interviews. If you did something similar, first of all you would pay significantly less money. Secondly it would be easier and most likely faster than an official program. Thirdly, if you apply DO as well then you would definitely have a good chance.

The SMPs and official post-bacc programs carry big risks in addition to a hefty tuition. There are many state schools where you can matriculate as an out of state student and pay barely more than the undergrads to retake/take classes (PM me if you want to know more).
Hey can you PM me? I've got questions about the DIY post-bacc

The simplest and most efficient strategy is to retake all C/D/F courses and use the DO grade replacement policy to bump your GPA. Retake the MCAT and score around 503 and you should be fine for DO.

MD is not an option so don't waste your time dealing with master's programs.

I'm going to agree with this one

"Definitely"

I'm currently in the ~3.0 gpa and graduating in the spring 2016. I have a few questions about informal post-baccs as well! Can you PM me?

Are you comfortable sharing your state of residence and if you're URM? Depending on you answers, I may have suggestions. You can PM me as well.

I know this was a few months ago but hopefully your still willing to give me the advice as it defiantly would still help. New Jersey resident and as an African American female I qualify as an URM.

"moving to pre- allo" Ive seen this term before but I'm not sure what this means..like the thread?

You posted the thread in the Allopathic forum, which is for medical students.
I moved the thread to the Pre-Allopathic forum, which is for pre-meds.

You posted the thread in the Allopathic forum, which is for medical students.
I moved the thread to the Pre-Allopathic forum, which is for pre-meds.

oh..makes sense..

@Lawper gave you very good advice. Though since you are URM he may have been too pessimistic about you chances. I would recommend you start by identifying what caused you to score so low and fix it. Do whatever it takes to get a higher score; take your time, study smart, get help from your undergrad's learning services, etc. If you get a much higher score (like 505+) then you should DIY postbacc courses to replace C/D/F grades. Even if your school doesn't replace grades, DO schools will consider them replaced in your app. Then apply to a broad range of low tier MD and DO schools.

If you can't bring up the MCAT, then don't waste time/money on postbacc courses. A higher MCAT is a hard requirement.

@Lawper gave you very good advice. Though since you are URM he may have been too pessimistic about you chances. I would recommend you start by identifying what caused you to score so low and fix it. Do whatever it takes to get a higher score; take your time, study smart, get help from your undergrad's learning services, etc. If you get a much higher score (like 505+) then you should DIY postbacc courses to replace C/D/F grades. Even if your school doesn't replace grades, DO schools will consider them replaced in your app. Then apply to a broad range of low tier MD and DO schools.

If you can't bring up the MCAT, then don't waste time/money on postbacc courses. A higher MCAT is a hard requirement.

Agreed. Thank you, I really appreciate the advice.