Quantcast

Post-Bacs with lead-ins to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albertcamus

Reaction score
I'm interested in a post-bac program due to my lack of science credits from my undergrad ("Career changer"). Is there a list of schools that have post-bac programs that are associated with medical schools i.e. I perform well enough at the post-bac and I move directly to the medical school. Thanks in advance!

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a post-bac program due to my lack of science credits from my undergrad ("Career changer"). Is there a list of schools that have post-bac programs that are associated with medical schools i.e. I perform well enough at the post-bac and I move directly to the medical school. Thanks in advance!

There are many programs with linkages, however Bryn Mawr/Goucher/Scripps are not guarantees into the med school. The linkage application is effectively an early decision type application and you can still be rejected. However it's a great way of saving a year between postbac and med school.

albertcamus

Reaction score
There are many programs with linkages, however Bryn Mawr/Goucher/Scripps are not guarantees into the med school. The linkage application is effectively an early decision type application and you can still be rejected. However it's a great way of saving a year between postbac and med school.

I realize that now, thank you!

namiie

IM
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Drexel DPMS I believe.

Yup. DPMS is guaranteed acceptance but it's for disadvantaged/underrepresented students so it's limited in seats and pretty hard to get into.

Drexel's IMS is also a one-year post-bacc where you take 70% of the first year med school classes and also get a guaranteed interview if you get a B or better average in all classes. You can apply during your post-bacc year too so if you do well and are admitted you won't have an extra gap year between post-bacc and matriculation. I was a semi-career changer too (dental --> medicine) so this was a good one imo.

But if you're a career changer from something non-science you should look into Bryn Mawr or Penn's post-bacc. Then you can take the pre-reqs like gen bio/chem instead of jumping straight into MS1 classes. Those don't have guarantees though they do have good linkages.