Post-Bacs with lead-ins to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

albertcamus

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in a post-bac program due to my lack of science credits from my undergrad ("Career changer"). Is there a list of schools that have post-bac programs that are associated with medical schools i.e. I perform well enough at the post-bac and I move directly to the medical school. Thanks in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in a post-bac program due to my lack of science credits from my undergrad ("Career changer"). Is there a list of schools that have post-bac programs that are associated with medical schools i.e. I perform well enough at the post-bac and I move directly to the medical school. Thanks in advance!

There are many programs with linkages, however Bryn Mawr/Goucher/Scripps are not guarantees into the med school. The linkage application is effectively an early decision type application and you can still be rejected. However it's a great way of saving a year between postbac and med school.
 
There are many programs with linkages, however Bryn Mawr/Goucher/Scripps are not guarantees into the med school. The linkage application is effectively an early decision type application and you can still be rejected. However it's a great way of saving a year between postbac and med school.

I realize that now, thank you!
 
Drexel DPMS I believe.

Yup. DPMS is guaranteed acceptance but it's for disadvantaged/underrepresented students so it's limited in seats and pretty hard to get into.

Drexel's IMS is also a one-year post-bacc where you take 70% of the first year med school classes and also get a guaranteed interview if you get a B or better average in all classes. You can apply during your post-bacc year too so if you do well and are admitted you won't have an extra gap year between post-bacc and matriculation. I was a semi-career changer too (dental --> medicine) so this was a good one imo.

But if you're a career changer from something non-science you should look into Bryn Mawr or Penn's post-bacc. Then you can take the pre-reqs like gen bio/chem instead of jumping straight into MS1 classes. Those don't have guarantees though they do have good linkages.