Post-Dental school options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aakk9323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've started my 4th year of dental school and have just started to seriously think about what comes after. I spent a majority of my time in dental school confident that I wanted to be no more than a general dentist, and really had a "C's get degrees" attitude when it came to grades. After just over a year in clinic, I'm starting to realize that I would really like some more training. What are my post-grad options considering my GPA is shot (so specialty residency and GPR are fairly out of the questions) and I don't have the ability to go into debt any further. Are there any other type of mentorship programs that would look past my GPA? (willing to take standardized tests) Or do I have to go into general and stack up on CE courses at this point?

My interests are mainly in pediatrics and oral surgery (beyond simple extractions).

Thanks for your guidance!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought anyone could get into an AEGD or GPR as long as you're flexible with location?

It has actually been a little more difficult to secure a GPR recently. With an additional ~100 grads from Touro, it has become a bit more competitive.

Hi all,

I've started my 4th year of dental school and have just started to seriously think about what comes after. I spent a majority of my time in dental school confident that I wanted to be no more than a general dentist, and really had a "C's get degrees" attitude when it came to grades. After just over a year in clinic, I'm starting to realize that I would really like some more training. What are my post-grad options considering my GPA is shot (so specialty residency and GPR are fairly out of the questions) and I don't have the ability to go into debt any further. Are there any other type of mentorship programs that would look past my GPA? (willing to take standardized tests) Or do I have to go into general and stack up on CE courses at this point?

My interests are mainly in pediatrics and oral surgery (beyond simple extractions).

Thanks for your guidance!

Here’s the thing...regardless of a GPR or not, you are going to have to take an abundance of CE if you want to be an excellent clinician. If you want to do bread and butter then probably not as much CE, but you are going to have to do a lot if you want to differentiate yourself. The other thing is that if you’re worried about debt then you are going to have a long road ahead. You are going to have to acquire a LOT more debt to reach a higher salary. It will get worse before it gets better. For example, buying a practice will push your wages significantly higher but that comes with a high debt load. Lastly, if you like pedo and oral surgery then just go work in a public health clinic. You will do a TON of exo’s and will see kids. Your speed will go through the roof. And you will be covered by federal malpractice. Also there will most likely be another doc there to bail you out when ish hits the fan.

Reactions: 1 users