Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Post interview thank you letters?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Spartan9442, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:42 PM.

1. Spartan9442

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I recently interviewed at one of my top choices. If you had multiple interviewers, should you send a different thank you email to each one? Or is a single one fine? I had a panel interview with different faculty members. I feel like I connected more with one interviewer more than the other, and I'm not sure if sending a more personal email to one over the other looks bad or something... lol. Anyone have some input? I typed out an email that looks good and could be sent to both but not sure if I should change it up for each one and personalize them. The school looks favorably on showing interest and sending emails so I think it's a good idea to send one.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    Just send one to the Admissions dean and only if your momma taught you to be polite.

icedude2010 and Spartan9442 like this.
  4. Spartan9442

Lol thanks. And yes my momma did teach me to be polite.

5. 7331poas

Pre-Medical
    What is your opinion of thank you letters? Have to send them? Disadvantage not to?

6. Isoval

Isoval Good luck, kupo.

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Only send the letter if you can be genuine.

9 times out of 10, you’ve already been reviewed and ranked before you even set foot off the campus. The notes will normally not play a role in admissions, but they’re a nice touch for interviewers who take time out of their day to interview you.

DBC03 likes this.
  7. Fasery

Veterinary Student
    Good boy :thumbup:

DBC03 likes this.
  8. MDPedigree

Interviewing you is part of their job which they get paid to do. I don't think they are doing any real sacrifices to interview a candidate. In fact sitting there having a conversation with someone seems like a fun/different way to kill an hour and distract you from your real career (on the clock too).

Just my two cents!

9. icedude2010

They could be scheduling cases or finishing up meetings that they’ll have to do later. They have to write up a report at least to send it to the adcom and be available to answer any questions, and at most they present you to the adcom and are an advocate for you. And this is generally for multiple people each interview day. Before the interview day most look over your application and essays as well.

So, just saying it’s not a trivial amount of work and a thank you note is always nice :)

Spartan9442 likes this.
  10. Lawper

Lawper In 3D
    Rocket Scientist Gold Donor

It's not necessary to send thank you notes since you probably already thanked them when your interviews were done. You can send one if you want to but understand that thank you letters alone have negligible impact on your application.

Goro likes this.
  11. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    There is no plus or minus to sending or not sending. By the time they're received, the interviewer's decision has already been made, and no Adcom member is going to chime in during an Adcom meeting with either:
    "That kid sent me a nice thank you card, we have to admit her/him!"

OR

"That kid didn't send me a thank you card, I vote to reject!!!"

Frankly, I throw away TY letters away without reading, but perversely, I'll respond to a TY email with a TY.

Spartan9442 likes this.