Post interview thank you letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spartan9442

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I recently interviewed at one of my top choices. If you had multiple interviewers, should you send a different thank you email to each one? Or is a single one fine? I had a panel interview with different faculty members. I feel like I connected more with one interviewer more than the other, and I'm not sure if sending a more personal email to one over the other looks bad or something... lol. Anyone have some input? I typed out an email that looks good and could be sent to both but not sure if I should change it up for each one and personalize them. The school looks favorably on showing interest and sending emails so I think it's a good idea to send one.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol thanks. And yes my momma did teach me to be polite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just send one to the Admissions dean and only if your momma taught you to be polite.

What is your opinion of thank you letters? Have to send them? Disadvantage not to?

What is your opinion of thank you letters? Have to send them? Disadvantage not to?

Only send the letter if you can be genuine.

9 times out of 10, you’ve already been reviewed and ranked before you even set foot off the campus. The notes will normally not play a role in admissions, but they’re a nice touch for interviewers who take time out of their day to interview you.

Reactions: 1 user
Only send the letter if you can be genuine.

9 times out of 10, you’ve already been reviewed and ranked before you even set foot off the campus. The notes will normally not play a role in admissions, but they’re a nice touch for interviewers who take time out of their day to interview you.
Interviewing you is part of their job which they get paid to do. I don't think they are doing any real sacrifices to interview a candidate. In fact sitting there having a conversation with someone seems like a fun/different way to kill an hour and distract you from your real career (on the clock too).

Just my two cents!

Interviewing you is part of their job which they get paid to do. I don't think they are doing any real sacrifices to interview a candidate. In fact sitting there having a conversation with someone seems like a fun/different way to kill an hour and distract you from your real career (on the clock too).

Just my two cents!
They could be scheduling cases or finishing up meetings that they’ll have to do later. They have to write up a report at least to send it to the adcom and be available to answer any questions, and at most they present you to the adcom and are an advocate for you. And this is generally for multiple people each interview day. Before the interview day most look over your application and essays as well.

So, just saying it’s not a trivial amount of work and a thank you note is always nice :)

It's not necessary to send thank you notes since you probably already thanked them when your interviews were done. You can send one if you want to but understand that thank you letters alone have negligible impact on your application.

There is no plus or minus to sending or not sending. By the time they're received, the interviewer's decision has already been made, and no Adcom member is going to chime in during an Adcom meeting with either:
"That kid sent me a nice thank you card, we have to admit her/him!"

OR

"That kid didn't send me a thank you card, I vote to reject!!!"

Frankly, I throw away TY letters away without reading, but perversely, I'll respond to a TY email with a TY.