This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any Postbacs/SMPs (D.O. with good linkage) that would even look at a student with a 2.72cGPA/2.78sGPA with a STRONG upward trend (+3.8 GPA) in the last 70 credit hours and a solid MCAT score (plan on testing in the Fall)?

I did so poorly in my early years that even with my academic turnaround, I'm still sitting at a 2.72 cGPA/2.78 sGPA over ~200 credit hours. If there's any chance, I'd still like to continue working towards becoming a physician. I feel like a GPA enhancer with good linkage would be my best bet at helping adcoms overlook my sad undergrad GPA. I understand I'd be screened out of most med schools when applying with a sub-3.0 undergrad GPA, and this is why I stress the strong linkage in an SMP. Of course, I'd have to aim for D.O. SMPs at this point since I highly doubt MD SMPs would even consider looking at me.

Seeing as I've already taken so many credit hours, my GPA will barely budge anymore with undergrad courses, so I can only hope my significant upward trend can be of some use to get me into a SMP/postbac with linkage. I've got solid ECs as far as shadowing, volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), and bench-research go.

Through some digging, I've come across some SMPs such as Nova and PCOM that I could avoid being auto-screened from, but should I actually bank on that? I haven't thrown in the towel just yet, but I'm starting to consider it.

At this point, I don't believe it's a question of IF I can succeed in med school, because my work ethic has certainly changed and I've seen the results in my recent semesters of taking relatively heavy course-loads. I believe it's a question of whether a school will give me a chance or not, for which I certainly have my doubts.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into PCOM masters program with similar GPA or a bit higher. But I applied like on October and got accepted not too long ago. But I didn't pay my deposit so I won't be joining since I chose other postbac program, KGI PPC program. Don't wait. Apply now!

Great job on the postbac. It pretty much rests on the MCAT at this point.

From my experience, DO schools (even the "competitive" schools) are more accepting of low-gpa postbac/smp comeback stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got into PCOM masters program with similar GPA or a bit higher. But I applied like on October and got accepted not too long ago. But I didn't pay my deposit so I won't be joining since I chose other postbac program, KGI PPC program. Don't wait. Apply now!

I would not recommend enrolling in a postbac without an MCAT score.

I would not recommend enrolling in a postbac without an MCAT score.

Well the post bac programs or SMP with linkages or interviews will not admit students without MCAT in the first place as it is a requirement. There are programs that offer MCAT programs, but those programs still require MCAT scores of some sort. OP will know if he or she can apply to a program or not.