You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Postdoc Interview Invitation Thread 2022-2023/2024
Started by tryingtostaypositivepsych
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
roadtointernship419
Full Member
I am still waiting on them too! But I heard through the grapevine that they might be notifying this week for interviews...Has anyone heard from the Child Study Treatment Center?
PsyStudent24
Full Member
So when do sites start sending out meeting links for the virtual interviews? I have one scheduled for next week but I haven’t received a follow-up email. Should I be worried?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Normal! I have gotten links on the day of the interview!So when do sites start sending out meeting links for the virtual interviews? I have one scheduled for next week but I haven’t received a follow-up email. Should I be worried?
Wishing everyone the best in this process!
sunflower555
Full Member
I have a friend who interviewed at Texas Child Study Center.Has anyone heard from Texas Child Study Center/ Dell Children’s? I’m assuming I am not having an interview there, just curious if people have heard back!
waitingbythephonelike
New Member
I'm not sure which one you're referring to within the region, but I've interviewed with Vallejo, Union City, San Leandro, and have one more to go with South Bay.Has anyone heard from Kaiser Northern California yet?
Finally!!🙂
Official Site Name: Child Study and Treatment Center
Date Invitation Received: Feb 4th
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass (?) Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: Feb 10th
Official Site Name: Child Study and Treatment Center
Date Invitation Received: Feb 4th
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass (?) Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: Feb 10th
Neuropsych90
New Member
Per the match guidelines, that's the best response an applicant can get without explicitly being told where they're being ranked by the site. There's very specific language that's allowed without breaking the rules. So it's possible that you could be number one!An APPCN match site reached out to me to let me know that I am “competitive with their top applicants.” Could anyone help me decode what this means? I’m assuming that’s not number one, but fairly high?
Anyone else trying to figure out navigating research postdocs that likely will want to notify after the UND? All my sites are research-centric and the more clinical research sites are following the UND, while a T32 that I am most interested in has a bit of a later start/timeline. What are y’all doing for these situations?
I have a question about making reciprocal offers- not sure if it’s appropriate in my current situation and hoping for some feedback! I received one offer, and the site doesn’t follow the UAD but told me I can wait until then to respond to the offer. I have a very strong top choice that also follows the UAD but did not mention reciprocal offers or anything during the interview. The site implied they will extend an offer to a candidate before the UAD. Am I in a position to ask for a reciprocal offer from my top site? Relatedly, I still have 2 interviews left- would it be poor form to ask for a reciprocal offer or accept an offer before I finish interviews?
Not sure how the image shows up but appic says you can ask them to hold it until or closer to UND. You can also contact your too choice for a reciprocal offer. But if your too choice offers you’re expected to accept it.I have a question about making reciprocal offers- not sure if it’s appropriate in my current situation and hoping for some feedback! I received one offer, and the site doesn’t follow the UAD but told me I can wait until then to respond to the offer. I have a very strong top choice that also follows the UAD but did not mention reciprocal offers or anything during the interview. The site implied they will extend an offer to a candidate before the UAD. Am I in a position to ask for a reciprocal offer from my top site? Relatedly, I still have 2 interviews left- would it be poor form to ask for a reciprocal offer or accept an offer before I finish interviews?
Attachments
At least at the sites I'm familiar with, they tend to just send that email out to the top maybe 3-5 people. You could be their top pick for sure.An APPCN match site reached out to me to let me know that I am “competitive with their top applicants.” Could anyone help me decode what this means? I’m assuming that’s not number one, but fairly high?
Yes you can ask for a reciprocal offer. Even if they can't give you one because you are not the top candidate, they can let you know where you are on their ranking so you can decide whether to wait until UND and call them again then.I have a question about making reciprocal offers- not sure if it’s appropriate in my current situation and hoping for some feedback! I received one offer, and the site doesn’t follow the UAD but told me I can wait until then to respond to the offer. I have a very strong top choice that also follows the UAD but did not mention reciprocal offers or anything during the interview. The site implied they will extend an offer to a candidate before the UAD. Am I in a position to ask for a reciprocal offer from my top site? Relatedly, I still have 2 interviews left- would it be poor form to ask for a reciprocal offer or accept an offer before I finish interviews?
It is totally fine to withdraw from consideration. It just saves everyone time not to do an interview that is not meaningful (though they will not know they are not in the running even if you finish interviews).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can certainly mention to the T32 that they are your top choice and share receiving potential UND offers and see if they can extend an offer then. If they are willing to/can speed up the process, great. If they can't because they have other interviews lined up, it will be up to you to give up the other offers and wait for them or take another offer without waiting.Anyone else trying to figure out navigating research postdocs that likely will want to notify after the UND? All my sites are research-centric and the more clinical research sites are following the UND, while a T32 that I am most interested in has a bit of a later start/timeline. What are y’all doing for these situations?
Any other neuro folks (participating in the Match) experiencing rank anxiety as the deadline approaches in a few hours?
hahaha yes, I had checked multiple times to make sure my list was certifiedAny other neuro folks (participating in the Match) experiencing rank anxiety as the deadline approaches in a few hours?
Is it ok to email your top site and ask where I am on their ranking list?
Are they a match site? If so, no. If you get another offer, you can call and ask for a reciprocal offer, though.
Same here, even today I checked a few times to make sure that they really went through LOLhahaha yes, I had checked multiple times to make sure my list was certified
Same!Same here, even today I checked a few times to make sure that they really went through LOL
Has anyone received offers/rejections from Patton or Western state hospital?
Western state initial offers went out Friday. Dunno about Patton.Has anyone received offers/rejections from Patton or Western state hospital?
Pueblo made at least some offers on February 8th. Not sure about Western!Hi all,
Has anyone heard from Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo (CMHIP)? During my interview, they said they expected to notify on 2/14, which has now come and passed.
Also, has anyone accepted Western State Hospital?
Happy Match Day Eve APPCN folks, how are y’all doing/coping/distracting yourselves?
Ben & Jerry’s, netflix, and cleaning out my closet (hopefully because I’ll be moving soon.🤞🏼)Happy Match Day Eve APPCN folks, how are y’all doing/coping/distracting yourselves?
🤞🏻🤞🏻 Similar over here. I totally compulsively cleaned. And now netflixBen & Jerry’s, netflix, and cleaning out my closet (hopefully because I’ll be moving soon.🤞🏼)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Futurepsyd91
New Member
Congratulations to everyone who matched today! Does anyone know which sites have open positions after the match?
Are you on the npsych or DIV40ANST listservs? I've seen like 6 postings today re: open NP fellowship slots.Congratulations to everyone who matched today! Does anyone know which sites have open positions after the match?
I won't post the ads here (don't want to take up space), but I can send them to you if you want (DM me) or join the listservs if you can (npsych is free - may have to pay a small fee for ANST - can't recall).
roadtointernship419
Full Member
I know someone who accepted a position at WSH for next year. I heard that there are 5 spots there for this year (3 at Western State Hospital and 2 at Eastern State Hospital, new site) but I do not know yet whether the Eastern State Hospital spots have been filled.Hi all,
Has anyone heard from Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo (CMHIP)? During my interview, they said they expected to notify on 2/14, which has now come and passed.
Also, has anyone accepted Western State Hospital?
You can log into APPCN and it should them available as of 12ESTCongratulations to everyone who matched today! Does anyone know which sites have open positions after the match?
D
deleted1129370
Are you on the npsych or DIV40ANST listservs? I've seen like 6 postings today re: open NP fellowship slots.
I won't post the ads here (don't want to take up space), but I can send them to you if you want (DM me) or join the listservs if you can (npsych is free - may have to pay a small fee for ANST - can't recall).
Can you send to me? I used to be part of those listservs
Good luck to everyone today on the UND!
psychology1212
Full Member
Thank you! Same to you!Good luck to everyone today on the UND!
Thanks. I applied to 7 sites (and 8 tracks) and I got 8 interviews. By the end of the interviews I had sent emails to two locations letting them know I was no longer interested. I was notified by two of the remaining 6 tracks that they were not going to rank me. This morning I got calls from two sites offering me a Postdoc, 1 of which was my number 1 site.
Stressful but thankful that it is now over.
Stressful but thankful that it is now over.
Anyone also not match yesterday? 😢 How are you moving forward? I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.
What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?
I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.
What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?
I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.
Hang in there, UND postdocs is just the beginning of the process and there’s plenty of time before internship ends. And many jobs will not have even opened up that will work with internship timelines.I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.
Were you applying to really specific and competitive postdocs, like pediatrics and neuropsych?What do people do in this gray zone?
Are you geographically limited? Is there a specific type of training you need/want? Want to be licensed in a state where a postdoc is needed or would make the process much smoother?
Maybe taking a moment to re-evaluate these might help you get an initial direction such as postdoc vs job.
The path moving forward might have a little less clarity in this exact moment but you’re at the beginning of your career with many options so good luck!
Anyone also not match yesterday? 😢 How are you moving forward? I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.
What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?
I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.
If you have your heart set on a Postdoc, you can start reaching out to the sites on the Postdoctoral Directory. Filter so that it only shows for unfilled positions. I saw a lot of positions were already updated yesterday so there is a current list showing what is available. Also start looking at positions that are not doing the uniform notification day. I know when I was doing my original search for applying to post doc's, there were positions that didn't even start interviewing until the spring for late summer or fall starts.
whatishappening2022
New Member
Kennedy Krieger still has an opening in their Pediatric Developmental Disorders Clinic.Congratulations to everyone who matched today! Does anyone know which sites have open positions after the match?
whatishappening2022
New Member
Anyone also not match yesterday? 😢 How are you moving forward? I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.
What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?
I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.
I would recommend joining as many of the APA listserves as possible, a lot of sites are still sending out emails looking for postdocs. Once joining the listserves, you can also look at all the emails sent out in the past week or so and contact those places to see if they still have openings. DIV33 (IDD/ASD) has recently sent a few emails regarding openings.
I'd also network and contact psychs in the field that you know to see if they are aware of any clinics who might be willing to take on a postdoc. You don't need an official postdoc, just a licensed psychologist who is willing to supervise and pay you.
Good luck!
I would recommend joining as many of the APA listserves as possible, a lot of sites are still sending out emails looking for postdocs. Once joining the listserves, you can also look at all the emails sent out in the past week or so and contact those places to see if they still have openings. DIV33 (IDD/ASD) has recently sent a few emails regarding openings.
I'd also network and contact psychs in the field that you know to see if they are aware of any clinics who might be willing to take on a postdoc. You don't need an official postdoc, just a licensed psychologist who is willing to supervise and pay you.
Good luck!
Depends on someone's future plans and whether or not they plan on pursuing board certification. If so, that postdoc needs to meet certain requirements
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Adding to what everyone has said, it is important to acknowledge that many sites tend to retain their interns as postdoc fellows so it doesn't reflect on your ability to "match." It is okay if not many of them are a good fit. After all you only need to get one acceptance that aligns with your goal. You can continue to monitor the listservs and APPIC directory as new positions may become available (sometimes due to funding). I would act fast and apply as soon as possible though as sites are motivated to fill their positions and tend to have a much faster turnaround.Anyone also not match yesterday? 😢 How are you moving forward? I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.
What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?
I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.
After looking at the updated APPIC directory, I applied to a few open positions that fit my background and training goals. I interviewed with a number of great sites and accepted an offer! For anyone who is still searching — keep persisting and do not settle! Well wishes for everyone.
FYI for those interested in research type postdoctoral fellowship, the VA Center for Integrated Healthcare still has two MIRECC fellowships open (One in Syracuse, One in Buffalo).
FYI, for anyone still looking/interested, there are currently 2 open POSTDOC/FELLOWSHIP positions @ VA-Tennessee Valley Advanced Fellowship in Mental Health: Gero, Health, and SMI concentrations.
If you're looking for a site that you'd like to stay and work at then this would be a good option as they like to keep their own (obviously meeting their expectations, and dedication). Those who are interested can find information in the UPPD Directory and on the TVHS website:
Clinical Psychology Programs | VA Tennessee Valley Health Care | Veterans Affairs
If you're looking for a site that you'd like to stay and work at then this would be a good option as they like to keep their own (obviously meeting their expectations, and dedication). Those who are interested can find information in the UPPD Directory and on the TVHS website:
Clinical Psychology Programs | VA Tennessee Valley Health Care | Veterans Affairs
Does anyone have a postdoc that starts before their internship ends? If so, how have you approached this situation? Are your internship sites willing to release you early? I am running into this issue, as my postdoc site is not flexible with their start date. Any advice or experiences shared would be appreciated!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 366
- Views
- 83K