Postdoc Interview Invitation Thread 2022-2023/2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I have one site left that I haven't heard from (UT Health at Houston). I was wondering if anyone had heard from them for their neuro track?
Thanks!
Hey! A few colleagues of mine have yet to hear back from UT Health as well, myself included. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Members don't see this ad.

An APPCN match site reached out to me to let me know that I am “competitive with their top applicants.” Could anyone help me decode what this means? I’m assuming that’s not number one, but fairly high?

The only thing I would safely assume is that you are in the top group. I wouldn't assume where in that top group.

Reactions: 2 users
An APPCN match site reached out to me to let me know that I am “competitive with their top applicants.” Could anyone help me decode what this means? I’m assuming that’s not number one, but fairly high?
This kind of email, to me, is a "read between the lines" type of message. I received a similar message during internship applications. I ranked that program #1 and matched there. Take it for what it's worth but it sounds like a good thing to me

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! A few colleagues of mine have yet to hear back from UT Health as well, myself included. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Finally heard back from them tonight! Hope you all did too!

Reactions: 1 user
This kind of email, to me, is a "read between the lines" type of message. I received a similar message during internship applications. I ranked that program #1 and matched there. Take it for what it's worth but it sounds like a good thing to me

Yikes, if the message for internship was close to the one above, that site should take a little care as that could be seen as a violation of match policy.

Has anyone heard from Kaiser Northern California yet?

It sounds like you have the same chances as everyone else, it will all depend on their ranking.

Official Site Name: CHLA Peds Psych Fellowship
Date Invitation Received: 2/2/22
Method of Invitation: Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site: Peds Psych
Interview Dates Offered: 2/4;2/9;2/15
How I’m staying “sane”: Time with family and work!

So when do sites start sending out meeting links for the virtual interviews? I have one scheduled for next week but I haven’t received a follow-up email. Should I be worried?

So when do sites start sending out meeting links for the virtual interviews? I have one scheduled for next week but I haven’t received a follow-up email. Should I be worried?
Normal! I have gotten links on the day of the interview!

Has anyone heard from Texas Child Study Center/ Dell Children’s? I’m assuming I am not having an interview there, just curious if people have heard back!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Texas Child Study Center/ Dell Children’s? I’m assuming I am not having an interview there, just curious if people have heard back!
I have a friend who interviewed at Texas Child Study Center.

Finally!!:)
Official Site Name: Child Study and Treatment Center
Date Invitation Received: Feb 4th
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass (?) Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: Feb 10th

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Per the match guidelines, that's the best response an applicant can get without explicitly being told where they're being ranked by the site. There's very specific language that's allowed without breaking the rules. So it's possible that you could be number one!

Anyone else trying to figure out navigating research postdocs that likely will want to notify after the UND? All my sites are research-centric and the more clinical research sites are following the UND, while a T32 that I am most interested in has a bit of a later start/timeline. What are y’all doing for these situations?

I have a question about making reciprocal offers- not sure if it’s appropriate in my current situation and hoping for some feedback! I received one offer, and the site doesn’t follow the UAD but told me I can wait until then to respond to the offer. I have a very strong top choice that also follows the UAD but did not mention reciprocal offers or anything during the interview. The site implied they will extend an offer to a candidate before the UAD. Am I in a position to ask for a reciprocal offer from my top site? Relatedly, I still have 2 interviews left- would it be poor form to ask for a reciprocal offer or accept an offer before I finish interviews?

I have a question about making reciprocal offers- not sure if it’s appropriate in my current situation and hoping for some feedback! I received one offer, and the site doesn’t follow the UAD but told me I can wait until then to respond to the offer. I have a very strong top choice that also follows the UAD but did not mention reciprocal offers or anything during the interview. The site implied they will extend an offer to a candidate before the UAD. Am I in a position to ask for a reciprocal offer from my top site? Relatedly, I still have 2 interviews left- would it be poor form to ask for a reciprocal offer or accept an offer before I finish interviews?
Not sure how the image shows up but appic says you can ask them to hold it until or closer to UND. You can also contact your too choice for a reciprocal offer. But if your too choice offers you’re expected to accept it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: 1 users
At least at the sites I'm familiar with, they tend to just send that email out to the top maybe 3-5 people. You could be their top pick for sure.

Yes you can ask for a reciprocal offer. Even if they can't give you one because you are not the top candidate, they can let you know where you are on their ranking so you can decide whether to wait until UND and call them again then.

It is totally fine to withdraw from consideration. It just saves everyone time not to do an interview that is not meaningful (though they will not know they are not in the running even if you finish interviews).

Anyone else trying to figure out navigating research postdocs that likely will want to notify after the UND? All my sites are research-centric and the more clinical research sites are following the UND, while a T32 that I am most interested in has a bit of a later start/timeline. What are y’all doing for these situations?
You can certainly mention to the T32 that they are your top choice and share receiving potential UND offers and see if they can extend an offer then. If they are willing to/can speed up the process, great. If they can't because they have other interviews lined up, it will be up to you to give up the other offers and wait for them or take another offer without waiting.

Any other neuro folks (participating in the Match) experiencing rank anxiety as the deadline approaches in a few hours?

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Any other neuro folks (participating in the Match) experiencing rank anxiety as the deadline approaches in a few hours?
hahaha yes, I had checked multiple times to make sure my list was certified

Is it ok to email your top site and ask where I am on their ranking list?

Does anyone know if offers/rejections for MUSC (Forensic) have gone out?

Hi all,

Has anyone heard from Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo (CMHIP)? During my interview, they said they expected to notify on 2/14, which has now come and passed.

Also, has anyone accepted Western State Hospital?

Hi all,

Has anyone heard from Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo (CMHIP)? During my interview, they said they expected to notify on 2/14, which has now come and passed.

Pueblo made at least some offers on February 8th. Not sure about Western!

Happy Match Day Eve APPCN folks, how are y’all doing/coping/distracting yourselves?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Happy Match Day Eve APPCN folks, how are y’all doing/coping/distracting yourselves?
Ben & Jerry’s, netflix, and cleaning out my closet (hopefully because I’ll be moving soon.🤞🏼)

• Care
Ben & Jerry’s, netflix, and cleaning out my closet (hopefully because I’ll be moving soon.🤞🏼)
🤞🏻🤞🏻 Similar over here. I totally compulsively cleaned. And now netflix

• Care
Congratulations to all that matched this morning! Here's to finding someway to celebrate achieving this accomplishment and best of luck to those heading into post match! I am excited for all of us :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched today! Does anyone know which sites have open positions after the match?

Congratulations to everyone who matched today! Does anyone know which sites have open positions after the match?
Are you on the npsych or DIV40ANST listservs? I've seen like 6 postings today re: open NP fellowship slots.

I won't post the ads here (don't want to take up space), but I can send them to you if you want (DM me) or join the listservs if you can (npsych is free - may have to pay a small fee for ANST - can't recall).

Hi all,

I know someone who accepted a position at WSH for next year. I heard that there are 5 spots there for this year (3 at Western State Hospital and 2 at Eastern State Hospital, new site) but I do not know yet whether the Eastern State Hospital spots have been filled.

Are you on the npsych or DIV40ANST listservs? I've seen like 6 postings today re: open NP fellowship slots.

I won't post the ads here (don't want to take up space), but I can send them to you if you want (DM me) or join the listservs if you can (npsych is free - may have to pay a small fee for ANST - can't recall).

Can you send to me? I used to be part of those listservs

Thanks. I applied to 7 sites (and 8 tracks) and I got 8 interviews. By the end of the interviews I had sent emails to two locations letting them know I was no longer interested. I was notified by two of the remaining 6 tracks that they were not going to rank me. This morning I got calls from two sites offering me a Postdoc, 1 of which was my number 1 site.

Stressful but thankful that it is now over.

Anyone also not match yesterday? :cryi: How are you moving forward? I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.

What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?

I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.

• Care
I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.
Hang in there, UND postdocs is just the beginning of the process and there’s plenty of time before internship ends. And many jobs will not have even opened up that will work with internship timelines.
What do people do in this gray zone?
Were you applying to really specific and competitive postdocs, like pediatrics and neuropsych?

Are you geographically limited? Is there a specific type of training you need/want? Want to be licensed in a state where a postdoc is needed or would make the process much smoother?

Maybe taking a moment to re-evaluate these might help you get an initial direction such as postdoc vs job.

The path moving forward might have a little less clarity in this exact moment but you’re at the beginning of your career with many options so good luck!

• Care
Anyone also not match yesterday? :cryi: How are you moving forward? I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.

What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?

I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.

If you have your heart set on a Postdoc, you can start reaching out to the sites on the Postdoctoral Directory. Filter so that it only shows for unfilled positions. I saw a lot of positions were already updated yesterday so there is a current list showing what is available. Also start looking at positions that are not doing the uniform notification day. I know when I was doing my original search for applying to post doc's, there were positions that didn't even start interviewing until the spring for late summer or fall starts.