Postdoc Interview Invitation Thread 2022-2023/2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone also not match yesterday? :cryi: How are you moving forward? I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.

What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?

I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.

I would recommend joining as many of the APA listserves as possible, a lot of sites are still sending out emails looking for postdocs. Once joining the listserves, you can also look at all the emails sent out in the past week or so and contact those places to see if they still have openings. DIV33 (IDD/ASD) has recently sent a few emails regarding openings.

I'd also network and contact psychs in the field that you know to see if they are aware of any clinics who might be willing to take on a postdoc. You don't need an official postdoc, just a licensed psychologist who is willing to supervise and pay you.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend joining as many of the APA listserves as possible, a lot of sites are still sending out emails looking for postdocs. Once joining the listserves, you can also look at all the emails sent out in the past week or so and contact those places to see if they still have openings. DIV33 (IDD/ASD) has recently sent a few emails regarding openings.

I'd also network and contact psychs in the field that you know to see if they are aware of any clinics who might be willing to take on a postdoc. You don't need an official postdoc, just a licensed psychologist who is willing to supervise and pay you.

Good luck!

Depends on someone's future plans and whether or not they plan on pursuing board certification. If so, that postdoc needs to meet certain requirements

Anyone also not match yesterday? :cryi: How are you moving forward? I’ve started making a list of potential sites to apply to that have unfilled positions, but not many that seem like a good fit.

What do people do in this gray zone? Network, join listservs, apply to jobs?

I never thought this could be harder than the internship process.
Adding to what everyone has said, it is important to acknowledge that many sites tend to retain their interns as postdoc fellows so it doesn't reflect on your ability to "match." It is okay if not many of them are a good fit. After all you only need to get one acceptance that aligns with your goal. You can continue to monitor the listservs and APPIC directory as new positions may become available (sometimes due to funding). I would act fast and apply as soon as possible though as sites are motivated to fill their positions and tend to have a much faster turnaround.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After looking at the updated APPIC directory, I applied to a few open positions that fit my background and training goals. I interviewed with a number of great sites and accepted an offer! For anyone who is still searching — keep persisting and do not settle! Well wishes for everyone.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
FYI for those interested in research type postdoctoral fellowship, the VA Center for Integrated Healthcare still has two MIRECC fellowships open (One in Syracuse, One in Buffalo).

FYI, for anyone still looking/interested, there are currently 2 open POSTDOC/FELLOWSHIP positions @ VA-Tennessee Valley Advanced Fellowship in Mental Health: Gero, Health, and SMI concentrations.
If you're looking for a site that you'd like to stay and work at then this would be a good option as they like to keep their own (obviously meeting their expectations, and dedication). Those who are interested can find information in the UPPD Directory and on the TVHS website:
Clinical Psychology Programs | VA Tennessee Valley Health Care | Veterans Affairs

Does anyone have a postdoc that starts before their internship ends? If so, how have you approached this situation? Are your internship sites willing to release you early? I am running into this issue, as my postdoc site is not flexible with their start date. Any advice or experiences shared would be appreciated!

Are your internship sites willing to release you early?
Have you discussed this with your internship TD? They have likely run into similar issues with past trainees and less flexible postdoc sites and may be able to provide support.

Generally speaking, ending early may not work because internship is designed to last a full calendar year and you could potentially run into future licensure issues without this.

It may be possible to try to negotiate an early end if you’ve met all your hours and requirements. I’ve known people who did that to accommodate things like a vacation or wedding (eg., saved up leave for the final week). Even if this is possible, a site may still be forced to require you to be physically present on your final day to officially outboard.

It’s possible that your intern student handbook may speak to some of these things.
Any advice or experiences shared would be appreciated!
Does your internship end especially late compared to most internships? Does your postdoc start particularly early? Was this an APPIC match postdoc?

Does anyone have a postdoc that starts before their internship ends? If so, how have you approached this situation? Are your internship sites willing to release you early? I am running into this issue, as my postdoc site is not flexible with their start date. Any advice or experiences shared would be appreciated!
Summerbabe hit the biggest points. My postdoc site has been very flexible in working with me allowing me to start as late as a month and a half after my internship ends. Talking to my friends who are also doing postdocs, their postdoc sites have also been very flexible.

Summerbabe hit the biggest points. My postdoc site has been very flexible in working with me allowing me to start as late as a month and a half after my internship ends. Talking to my friends who are also doing postdocs, their postdoc sites have also been very flexible.
Exactly. My postdoc site was very rigid in their brochure, absolutely no late starts! And then 2 out of 8 of us started later. And I know the following cohort had at least one late starter as well.

What is the appropriate number of neuro post doc sites to apply? I’m seeking appcn board certification and got in a neuro internship.

What is the appropriate number of neuro post doc sites to apply? I’m seeking appcn board certification and got in a neuro internship.

Depends on strength of CV and how many good fits you have. It was a while back, I applied to 8, interviewed at all, got my top pick in match. The match is probably a little more competitive these days, neuro seems to be a more popular pick. But, there are a lot of apps for people who are not real neuro people and really not that competitive.

I think it's hard to give a specific number to recommend because there are so many factors that go into the match. However, if you look at the stats from the most recent match, people who matched submitted an average of 6.6 applications whereas the people who didn't match submitted an average of 3.7. In the past few years there have been more applicants than positions available (specifically for the APPCN match), which I think is important to keep in mind but don't let it completely freak you out. I think just like for internship, program "fit" becomes really critical.

I think it's hard to give a specific number to recommend because there are so many factors that go into the match. However, if you look at the stats from the most recent match, people who matched submitted an average of 6.6 applications whereas the people who didn't match submitted an average of 3.7. In the past few years there have been more applicants than positions available (specifically for the APPCN match), which I think is important to keep in mind but don't let it completely freak you out. I think just like for internship, program "fit" becomes really critical.

Haven't reviewed the past election cycles, but of trends continued the way they were, it was more competitive from a number of apps perspective, but a significant number of those apps aren't all that competitive for a lot of sites. There's still a portion of people who are applying for APPCN postdocs with pretty minimal neuropsych experience for some reason. Postdoc is definitely not the time to learn foundational knowledge in the area, and those apps get tossed pretty quickly.

Haven't reviewed the past election cycles, but of trends continued the way they were, it was more competitive from a number of apps perspective, but a significant number of those apps aren't all that competitive for a lot of sites. There's still a portion of people who are applying for APPCN postdocs with pretty minimal neuropsych experience for some reason. Postdoc is definitely not the time to learn foundational knowledge in the area, and those apps get tossed pretty quickly.
Yeah, most people I know who went through the match submitted way more than 6-7 due to concerns about the competitiveness of the match. Our TD recommended a minimum of 10. I personally submitted 19, which was probably overkill, but I ended up tanking my interviews due to nerves and didn't match so it didn't matter anyway.

Did you have any luck negotiating a different start time?