Pre-Dental DAT SECOND TIME AROUND

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should i do a masters program with my current gpa or use next year for research/dat

• MASTERS

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • DAT/RESEARCH

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

Jdental__

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I took the DAT recently in September

Orgo: 19
chem: 22
BIO: 15 ( I know..i know... :( )
PAT: 15 (I know.... :( )
Math: 16
Reading: 18

AA: 18
Science Average: 17

GPA: 3.3

i understand these scores arent that well off, and that i do need to take the DAT again. i am currently studying for them and i was looking to take them before the semester starts, so in three weeks.
now that i think about it, three weeks doesnt sound like enough time, what do you guys think?
the thing is....if i dont take it during this winter break, when can i take it?

the main thing is tho...is that im wondering whether or not i should do a masters program next fall since i have a gap year, or whether i should use that free time to really delve into the DAT and study for it more while doing some kind of research.

so my question is...should i do a masters program and take the DAT now, in january? or should i enjoy my break, finish my undergrad this semester/summer. and come next fall study for my DAT as well as work and do research??

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you didn't come here for a sugar-coated answer, so I won't do that.

The GPA and DAT are bad, with the exception of chem. If you are set on dentistry, then you will need to buckle down, do the masters, earning a 4.0, and prepare adequately for the DAT.

My vote would be masters.

Prepare the best application possible so you can gain admittance to the least expensive dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
the thing is i cant do my masters whilst studyign for my DAT.

i have amazing EC...shadowing...abroad internships..clubs...etc.

you dont think if i do really well on my DAT while working at a dental field during my gap year would be enough along with my gpa? i know the gpa isnt too good...but i figured witha really good dat and application of EC i would be able to get somewhere.

tell me what you think...the thing is rn i would do masters but then i dont know how i'd study for the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need a 21AA+ DAT (With nothing under 19) if your science GPA is as well 3.3.

What about this upcoming summer? I agree winter break is not ideal because you have a set time frame of 4 weeks. Summer is nice because you have all the time in the world. I started studying in May and set my test date for 4 weeks after but 3 weeks in I realized I wasn't ready so I set it back another 2 weeks. Ended up being absolutely perfect timing for me and less stressful. You just pay the $60 reschedule fee or whatever and reevaluate your study plan. 22AA 23TS

What about this upcoming summer? I agree winter break is not ideal because you have a set time frame of 4 weeks. Summer is nice because you have all the time in the world. I started studying in May and set my test date for 4 weeks after but 3 weeks in I realized I wasn't ready so I set it back another 2 weeks. Ended up being absolutely perfect timing for me and less stressful. You just pay the $60 reschedule fee or whatever and reevaluate your study plan. 22AA 23TS

i am taking a bunch of summer courses during the summer, thats my only issue =/

i was thinking about just taking an extra semester, forget the summer classes....just take the summer to use up for the DAT and i guess take an extra semester in the fall to finish up my classes.

what do you think?
and also, out of curiosity ..what did you use for the bio section?

i am taking a bunch of summer courses during the summer, thats my only issue =/

i was thinking about just taking an extra semester, forget the summer classes....just take the summer to use up for the DAT and i guess take an extra semester in the fall to finish up my classes.

what do you think?
and also, out of curiosity ..what did you use for the bio section?

Hmm well I guess it depends on your situation. See I live in a college town so studying in the summer was really nice for me because the entire city was DEAD lol. No distractions even if I wanted them. So if I had to do it again, I would study in the summer. Fall is good for classes because it also has more distractions that would take away from studying, like clubs and officer meetings and things like that. I also found it's just mentally stressful to have literally anything else on your plate while studying for your DAT so you're perfectly right about not doing that and summer classes.

It also depends on what your summer classes are. I absolutely hated calculus so I decided no matter what, I would NOT spend 2 semesters taking that crap. So I just did 2 4 week summer programs and ripped the bandaid off on that.

Taking an extra fall semester is a tough decision because it'll put you a year behind but I can almost guarantee that no dental school will accept you with your GPA or DAT (sorry I'm not trying to be rude) so either way you need to put some serious time behind that.

SO...I say study DAT over the summer and take the extra Fall semester. Read SDN and gather all the info you can this break/next semester but don't start studying. Buy all your books, start a notebook on what you find here and maybe even set up a schedule. That way, you'll be ready to hit the ground running after finals (give yourself a week to chill if finals week is rough). Take alllll the time you need in the summer, start your application, and finish off strong in the Fall.

As for study materials, I used 2 AP bio books and a deck of flashcards (premade, not mine) I had from high school AP Bio. Read those and then read Feralis notes and flashcards until test day. DAT Bootcamp was used for timing only.

I suggest you do both. Buckle down and study for both masters and DAT. You already took the DAT once so you won't be as nervous taking it again. That being said you know where you're weak, but don't focus only on those subjects. Gotta focus on everything because they are all important

DAT. My GPA is quite similar to yours and I have gotten 4 interviews (not accepted anywhere yet but eh.) My PAT score is bad but everything else is fine. You should definitely retake the DAT and I think your chances improve greatly.

I had a very similar GPA to yours when I applied with less than stellar shadowing and extracurriculars. I spent two months during the summer preparing for the DAT and made a great score which easily got me in. So that being said I think your main priority should be killing this DAT, so 3 weeks is definitely not enough. Even if you have to wait for summer, as long as you apply sometime in July I think you should be fine if your DAT score is great. If your upcoming semester isn't too difficult then take it in March or April.

You shouldn't need more than 2 month for the DAT specially since you studied it once. After an x amount of time your studying and results will plateau making your time less efficient. You GPA is fine, doing your masters will definitely land you more interviews. I recommend doing a Masters and studying for your DAT.