Pre-Dental Students Applying to Dental School ( Now or in the Future ) MUST READ!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zEkii

Good Vibes
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Pre-Dents!

It’s been awhile since I posted… But 4+ years ago, I was a pre-dental student applying to Dental School.

At college there was always in-service to discuss about the MCAT or special post-bac programs for Medical students. But there wasn’t a DAT study course or anything to guide me to the right direction. So naturally, I turned to Student Doctor Network (SDN).

SDN has provided a lot of answers, but I still ended up with more questions then I started with. I remember how unsure I was with the whole process of doing well in college, DAT, the common application, the interviews, and the uncertainty that came with it at the end of the day.

I remember coming on this platform and thinking really negative about my chances of getting into dental school. I felt like all the cards were stacked against me.

So, what’s my background?

DAT Score (Took it Once): AA:18 / Bio: 16 / GC: 19/ Orgo: 20 / PAT: 17 /QR: 16 /RC: 18/ Natural Sciences: 18

GPA: 3.9 , Biology Major

Involvement: Student Government President, Resident Assistant (RA), Involved with 3 + clubs holding a position, and MOST IMPORTANTLY a mentor to all other pre-dental students who were searching for answers.

Fast forward today, I graduated with a 3.8 GPA from Dental School and currently at a General Practice Residency for 1 year!

What’s the point of this post?

I want to give back what SDN community has given me and provide a forum/ avenue for pre-dental students who are searching for optimism, review their application or personal statement, or even discuss realistic chances of getting in.

As you can tell, as a pre-dental student, my chances of getting into Dental School with my DAT score I thought was slim. The rejection letters told me so. But having that beacon of light or sense of support really does help push through tough times.

I can easily discuss further about my journey, but I want this post to be for the pre-dental students/future dentists. So shoot away any questions you have!

Maybe post about your journey so far, or you can also PM privately discuss about your chances of getting in or wanting me to review a portion of their application!

P.S: Below is proof of my DAT and passing my boards with the attempts. : )

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DATonly.jpg
    DATonly.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 182
  • DAT nd NBDE.jpg
    DAT nd NBDE.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats on your journey-- even with the cards stacked against you, you've made it this far due to your hard work and determination! I was wondering if you could share your plans after you complete your GPR..

Congrats on your journey-- even with the cards stacked against you, you've made it this far due to your hard work and determination! I was wondering if you could share your plans after you complete your GPR..
Thank you for your kind words! So right now I am currently looking for which places would fit me best for my lifestyle! I'm in a residency in NYC but I do plan to work in either NY, NJ, PA or TX. I want to work in a private practice where I focus more on cosmetic and straight forward endodontic dentistry.

The residency I am currently in has brought so much attention to other facets about dentistry that couldn't just be taught in dental school!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I just want to hop on here and ask is Physical Biochemistry required for dental schools? Thanks a lot!