Pre-interview Socials: Too noisy or just good clean fun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ergal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what most applicants' experiences have been with the pre-interview socials.

I absolutely appreciate the opportunity to meet and speak with the residents but so far, I have had several of these in really loud restaurants/bars. I think it is great that everyone is having a good time but I must admit it can be frustrating at times because I can barely make out what people (not sitting directly next to me) are saying and it seems as if many people resort to shouting across the table.

Have most of you experienced similar things?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a great time at the ones I've been to, and they definitely can get noisy. It's really up to you to take advantage of the opportunity and ask a bunch of questions that are important to you, especially if it's in a noisy place.

Ive enjoyed the informal bar settings more than the sit down dinner atmosphere. It can get pretty noisy at a bar but I like to see residents in an informal setting. Also the more formal dinners usually revolved around food and once dinner was done everybody left. At the bar nights we hung out for a couple of hours talking about all sorts of random stuff.

Its probably just a personality thing but I don't really care to ask questions about the program. I just want to see if I enjoy the company of the residents.