Pre-Med means you don't care about sports...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you like sports?

• Male/Love Sports

Votes: 116 55.0%
  • Male/Hate Sports

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • Female/Love Sports

Votes: 52 24.6%
  • Female/Hate Sports

Votes: 15 7.1%

• Total voters

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
or does it... do you care about your college teams at all, or even the pro teams in your area ?

Members don't see this ad.

oh btw...
michigan football
michigan basketball
pistons basketball
maple leafs hockey
lions suck... but eventually they could be good

I fail to see the correlation between being premed and not liking sports.

Members don't see this ad :)
i seem to see a nice correlation between penii and sports

An injury to one of my fantasy players (any sport) is like a crisis... it's ridiculous

My sports obsession is actually leading me towards sports med...

I live and die w/ my Nittany Lions... although I cannot say much against Michigan right now since we haven't beaten Michigan in years... less years than Notre Dame winning in a bowl game though :laugh:

Im a UCLA alum, and i like when UCLA wins and/or USC loses, but other than that i just don't care... who has time for sports when they have SDN to obsess over, e-mail to overcheck, and mailmen to stalk?

Well not pro-teams in my area or even my college teams, but Champions League is a must for me (I make my schedules trying to have tuesday/wednesday afternoons off so I can watch the few games played).

Im a UCLA alum, and i like when UCLA wins and/or USC loses, but other than that i just don't care... who has time for sports when they have SDN to obsess over, e-mail to overcheck, and mailmen to stalk?

I'm with you on that as far as college sports go. But the only thing that makes me happy these days with all this med. school rejection, is watching the Lakers (win hopefully).

I do not watch much sports. I do not follow my college teams. I occasionally get a ticket to a bolts game. I play sports several times a week, basketball, tennis, offroad biking, football if we can get teams together. I just don't like watching other people have the fun, I suppose.

yahoo sport drains all my time away.

ap news, sports illustrated, and the sporting news all in one place. :thumbup:

Also, I don't really HATE sports, I just don't care about them.[/quote]

Agreed

Sports have been a part of my life as long as I can remember and my being the hard-core pre-medder i am hasnt changed it one bit!

English Prem (Arsenal)
College Football (Rutgers)
MLB (Yankees)

oh and ditto on champions league, degoo

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a doctor and when I was in school, I loved my college team. It gave me some distraction and some school spirirt :smuggrin:

March Madness = the Greatest Show on Earth:D

oh btw...
michigan football
michigan basketball
pistons basketball
maple leafs hockey
lions suck... but eventually they could be good

What person from Michigan, especially one who likes all the other sports, doesn't cheer for the Red Wings :confused: :confused: :confused:

Pre med students may not have time for sports like they used to, but that doesn't mean they don't like them. For example, at my college (Notre Dame, a pretty tough school to get into), 90% of incoming freshmen lettered in at least 1 varsity sport in highschool. This stat has been consistent for as long as I remember.

Alos, liking/following sports and being an athlete are mutually exclusive. Most all of those sportswriters were nothing more than armchair quarterbacks their whole lives.

I love sports.. unfortunately, at my school, there's not much to get excited about. We're terrible at football and men's basketball, which are the main sources of "pride" in the country. We're decent at baseball, though.

What person from Michigan, especially one who likes all the other sports, doesn't cheer for the Red Wings :confused: :confused: :confused:

someone who grew up in ontario ;) i only cared about hockey back then, and it stuck... the other teams are more recent acquired tastes

Soccer (anything USA/MLS related, especially DC United and the Nats)
College Football (Anyone playing Michigan, MSU)

...and I really can't bring myself to support the red wings... I just can't care about the NHL.

I think it's funny how they think David Beckham is going to make soccer popular in the States. Not gonna happen!

I love soccer.

It's really the only sport I will watch on TV, and even then I don't watch any American teams because....oh wait...do we have any teams?

Yeah, I like INTERNATIONAL soccer. I hereby petition for soccer to be given back its rightful name: football.

That which is known as football here isn't so. I rest my case.

I don't think being pre-med and loving/hating sports has a real correlation...maybe the amount of TIME one can devote to this hobby decreases with the pre-med curriculum, though!

K, how about a compromise. American football can remain football, and soccer can be futbol.

I love soccer.

It's really the only sport I will watch on TV, and even then I don't watch any American teams because....oh wait...do we have any teams?

Yeah, I like INTERNATIONAL soccer. I hereby petition for soccer to be given back its rightful name: football.

That which is known as football here isn't so. I rest my case.

K, how about a compromise. American football can remain football, and soccer can be futbol.

But futbol is just an alternative phonetic spelling of football. Although it's a nice compromise, I wonder if we can come up with another name for American football. Tackleball? Okay, okay, that's lame....any others?

Rugby+football=Rugball

But futbol is just an alternative phonetic spelling of football. Although it's a nice compromise, I wonder if we can come up with another name for American football. Tackleball? Okay, okay, that's lame....any others?

My husband is obsessed with sports. Before we got married I liked sports (meaning watching sports on TV) but didn't really get into them. Over the course of 5 years, I've grown to hate sports on TV. (Maybe not passionately hate, but avoid at all costs)

I like playing sports or attending sports, but won't watch them on TV unless its the Olympics.

I have to care immensely about sports, especially my college teams because I am on one. Aside from actually playing my sport, I have gotten much better at not being so obsessive about checking scores and watching games...

I will do whatever is necessary to make sure I can fit NFL Sunday ticket into my budget next year. It's not a Sunday in November without Steelers football.

I think it's funny how they think David Beckham is going to make soccer popular in the States. Not gonna happen!

well everyone knew that all MLS was really going to get for this is a nice little spark in interest... and so far it worked... Expansion team Toronto FC saw a 300% spike in season ticket sales after Beckham signed, and he's only visiting Toronto once per season. Plus, on the business end, the move has been brilliant. Citibank has tentatively agreed to a jersey sponsor deal worth more than Beckham's entire salary, so the LA Galaxy, already a team that turned a nice profit before Beckham came along are going to be seriously in the black this year.

I don't follow pro sports, but I love my hopkins lacrosse and of course my cross-country and track teams that I compete on.
I don't feel connected to pro sports, I prefer college teams.

I like playing sports or attending sports, but won't watch them on TV unless its the Olympics.

who is hoping to use residency vacation to go to the Olympics in London 2012?

ME!

I look forward to returning to intramurals in med school- 1 every night like in undergrad

Im a girl, I was premed and I love sports... Im more into some sports than most of my guy friends. If I stay in New Orleans and go to LSU-NO then I plan on keeping my season tickets to both LSU Football and the Saints. I found in college that sports, mainly football, baseball, and soccer were huge among premeds. We had to arrange the times we would be in the lab this summer around the World Cup and we never had a test after a big lsu football game (Prob because the prof drove down to Baton Rouge too). You will always have people that just aren't into sports I don't think that being premed or in med school has anything to do with it.

i don't give an s about watching sports - maybe espn streetball - but i love playing.

word :thumbup:

i cant make myself care about other people playing sports, but I have played/will continue to play just about everything

soccer and hockey are my two favorites :D

Not only do I dislike organized sports as a whole, my head used to hurt when I was forced to listen to presentations made by members of the football team during freshman level classes.

Oh - I also have no idea how to play basketball or football. Grant it, I get the general idea that men (and sometimes women, who often resemble men) chase a ball back and forth across a field while trying to avoid being attacked by other people who share the same goal. Mix in some rules, zany acronyms, Budweiser(R) beer, and you got a multi-billion dollar power house. :)

It's still fun to see people who really get into the game though. I guess it's just nice to see people passionate about something, weather it's sports or taco bell.

Thrall

i love sports :)

loooove michigan football/basketball, but will unfortunately probably be attending ohio state.

Gator basketball
Gator football
Magic basketball
Buccaneers football
Williams F1 team
BMW Sauber F1 team
ATP tennis