Pre med OOS application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedCatLover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love some advice on how to improve my chances of getting accepted into medical school.

I'm finishing up my associates degree in Biology this quarter and will be graduating from my community college with a 3.89. This is with some minor setbacks, I did decide to audit Organic Chemistry one quarter because I was in 3 other classes and knew that I didn't have enough time to do well in all 4 classes. I finished that quarter with a 4.0 in all 3 classes and an Audit. I also decided to retake 2 math classes that I got B-s in and will finish with As. My community college replaces your grade when you retake a class. In total after replacements I will only have one grade below an A or A- which is Engineering (calculus) Physics 1 which I got a B-. I was accepted into my local university with highest distinction (given to 5% of applicants). I plan on studying all summer for the MCAT and taking it in September. As for ECs by the time I apply to medical school in just over a year I will have worked in the healthcare field with one company for 9 years, I am a registered nurses assistant doing in home care giving for DD adults. I have experience in this job with hospice, managing chronic health issues and extreme behavioral issues, and have some experience in minor medical care (shots, giving meds of all forms, compression stockings, breathing machines for those in heart failure, etc). I also have worked with a different company doing hospice care for 2 years. For volunteering I have been fostering with a no kill animal rescue for 3.5 years so far, personally fostered between 100-200 cats and dogs, have brought upon significant growth in the rescue, and will be on the board soon. I have literally thousands of hours of volunteer work with this rescue as I always have cats and dogs in my house. I also provide minor medical care to these animals and have brought some back from death's door, even my vets were surprised. I don't have any clinical volunteer work or shadowing yet, however my job has given me a lot of clinical experience with a variety of clients and medical conditions. This shows dedication, commitment, and that I'm not doing this to just look good for a medical school. If needed, I can volunteer at a local planned parenthood or hospice center for clinical volunteer experience. I want to know if it is necessary in my case due to my work experience and extensive non clinical volunteer work.
I plan on applying to the medical schools my state (Northwest), but in reality my heart belongs in in the south where it's warm, specifically Texas. I know that Texas schools are extremely hard to get into as they only can accept 10% of OOS applicants. I will also be applying to other medical schools in the south. I am not trying to get into a competitive school, I just am ready to live where it's warm. I can write a strong secondary app on why I want to go to the OOS school and hope to stay in my medical school state permanently.
MCAT and GPA aside, how can I strengthen my changes of being accepted into an out of state school, Texas specifically because it is so competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

I also want to add that I do have a pretty strong personal statement. I had cancer as a teenager and went through extensive chemotherapy as well as many surgeries. I have a lot of experience as patient which I feel like will make me a better doctor. It wasn't until about 8 years post cancer treatment where my life was saved once again by doctors, this time at Planned Parenthood, when I knew that no other career would satisfy me and that I needed to give back. I feel like my history is quite unique and gives me an edge. I don't have to use my work or volunteer experience in my personal statement and can reserve it for my activities sections of the application when the time comes.

I don't have a lot of information for you. But, here's something to think about. I will be rather blunt, so I apologize in advance. (If anyone on this board thinks I am crazy, please set me straight).

I am willing to re-locate my family, including two school aged children for medical school. I'm quitting my career to go full time student in preparation and won't be able to retire. I am willing to go to any school whether it's DO, MD or whatever. My wife is willing to change her job and be flexible and yet it still restricts me a bit with what schools I can apply to (her industry limits me to central TX area). This is a huge problem for me that may limit my ability to be a doctor. I'd go to school at the North Pole or even a Caribbean school if it came down to that (if I wasn't married, etc).

After reading your post you state that you really want to go to a southern school because of the weather. I laughed a little bit. It's funny to be that anyone trying to go to med school even thinks about weather as a consideration before they have multiple acceptances lined up (which almost nobody gets).

Personally, I don't think that being saved from medicine is a strong reason that one should be a doctor or that they would make a great doctor. Doctors save people every day.

My 2 cents. from someone who isn't a doctor and hasn't been accepted anywhere yet is this: REALLY open your eyes a bit. You are trying to do something very competitive and difficult. I just get the vibe that you are trying to sell the idea that you want to be a doctor.

Last edited: