Preliminary Programs No Invitations Yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanandreas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been following the forum since ERAS opened and I am getting very worried as I have only received ONE interview invitation for a preliminary position. However, I received about 7 radiology invitations already. I applied to about 50 IM prelim, 25 Surgical Prelim and 15 Transitional programs.

The thing is I thought preliminary programs where less competitive than Rads and I just don't quite understand why I got far more rads invitations than prelims if what I initally assumed was correct. Still, I applied to a lot of prelim programs just to be safe. I just want to make sure I don't go unmatched as I would be very happy to be anywhere, even in the most demanding surgical program, if that's what it takes.

Could anyone let me know if I should start getting worried?

Thank you so much for your time

EDIT: Btw, I am an IMG

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Prelims can be more competitive than Rads especially as Rads has declined in competitiveness.

Prelims are funny cause their competitiveness is usually inversely related to the Categorical programs competitiveness.

For example in California, Santa Barbara Cottage or Huntington Memorial in Pasadena are not competitive at all for the categorical medicine program but are reasonably competitive for prelim. Why? Cause they are relatively cush community places which is great if you are a prelim but sucks as a categorical if you are interested in fellowship. Same goes for the Kaiser medicine programs (nice EMR, integrated systems which makes your day to day better).

prelims don't want to deal with your visa issues if you're only going to be there for a year

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies. Do you think I should apply to more programs asap? Is it too late?

I think your best bet would be to schedule interviews at as many categorical radiology programs as you can. That way you can avoid prelim programs who don't want to deal with your visa issues.