Preparing to Re-Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Thanksgiving has come and passed. For some of you, this is now time to consider preparing to re-apply per the Turkey Rule. However, I share the opinion that anyone who doesn't have an acceptance should be thinking about this regardless of interviews.

So, in response to the influx of posts by people who are starting to think/panic about this, lets get a good on-topic thread going where people can ask their questions, plan ways to improve their app in case they find themselves on the re-applicant forum next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Last year I applied kind of late and had four interviews, but no acceptances (lots of wait lists). So I spent the whole application cycle doing stuff that would fill in the weak spots in my app, then worked my butt off to have my entire application rewritten and ready to go on day one of this current cycle. I now have three MD acceptances. So being a reapplicant sucks, but it's not a death sentence. If you are truly committed to becoming a doctor and are willing to keep working and fighting, you can absolutely still get there. Good luck to everybody! :thumbup:

Reactions: 7 users
If anyone wants advice or a non-biased opinion on their situation, feel free to message me. Good luck everyone there is still time left!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,

However, I share the opinion that anyone who doesn't have an acceptance should be thinking about this regardless of interviews.
i have a couple neurotic friends who have 7+ interviews at top schools that are non-rolling and wont find out for at least a few months. this thread does not apply to you!!

I'm a bit worried because it's looking like I have to reapply, yet I've had a very difficult semester in terms of family emergencies, and I've done little to nothing to improve upon my application wrt ECs.

I posted this to the main page, but I'll copy it here in case anyone has advice:

Say I don't get into any schools this cycle. Alright, well the plan will be to improve upon my ECs throughout 2017/2018, retake the MCAT, and apply next cycle.

Yet if I apply next cycle, that would technically mean I'd need to start applying this May 2017. Wouldn't I just be showcasing the same old stuff on my old application from this cycle, maybe add a few ECs? My gap year would be where I'd really improve myself, but I'd be doing that DURING my next application cycle of 2017/2018, not before.

Do people who normally take gap years after not getting into their cycle usually wait 2 years before they apply again, so they can have significant improvements BEFORE applying? I hope this makes sense!

Do schools that I re-apply see my previous application and compare? or Will they just know it based on how I answer the questions in the secondary about what I changed between last cycle and this cycle?

Only 1 II so far that I still haven't heard back from. I know I should retake the MCAT: I scored 505. I honestly dont know what else I can do to strengthen my application, other than maybe apply more broadly. I only applied to 1 top 20 school though, so I thought I was already broad. Hoping for an acceptance from my II!

If we were to reapply next cycle and submit our primary application in the first week of June or whenever it opens, would that nullify this year's application or would schools still consider us for the current cycle?

Also, if I did decide to re-apply and tried to login to AMCAS, would I just continue to see my current app or would there be an option to start an application for the next cycle?

Thanks!

I had to re-apply and I'd be happy to lend advice to anyone who may be interested in my input. I did a pretty good job of dissecting my application and seeing what needed improvement so I think I can help some people. Feel free to PM me.

I had to re-apply and I'd be happy to lend advice to anyone who may be interested in my input. I did a pretty good job of dissecting my application and seeing what needed improvement so I think I can help some people. Feel free to PM me.

How soon after your first cycle did you apply? Did you wait 1 or 2 years?

If we were to reapply next cycle and submit our primary application in the first week of June or whenever it opens, would that nullify this year's application or would schools still consider us for the current cycle?

Also, if I did decide to re-apply and tried to login to AMCAS, would I just continue to see my current app or would there be an option to start an application for the next cycle?

Thanks!

I read somewhere that once you are off any waitlists/holds, you're free to reapply. But I'm not 100% confident!

I'm a bit worried because it's looking like I have to reapply, yet I've had a very difficult semester in terms of family emergencies, and I've done little to nothing to improve upon my application wrt ECs.

I posted this to the main page, but I'll copy it here in case anyone has advice:

Say I don't get into any schools this cycle. Alright, well the plan will be to improve upon my ECs throughout 2017/2018, retake the MCAT, and apply next cycle.

Yet if I apply next cycle, that would technically mean I'd need to start applying this May 2017. Wouldn't I just be showcasing the same old stuff on my old application from this cycle, maybe add a few ECs? My gap year would be where I'd really improve myself, but I'd be doing that DURING my next application cycle of 2017/2018, not before.

Do people who normally take gap years after not getting into their cycle usually wait 2 years before they apply again, so they can have significant improvements BEFORE applying? I hope this makes sense!

this is a judgment call on your part because it depends on how much/where your application may be lacking.

if your MCAT is significantly low where it's not competitive for most schools you're interested in, it would probably not help you very much to reapply until you've taken that and received a (hopefully higher) score.

if your stats are okay but your extracurriculars are lacking, I'd say really try to get in some more meaningful ones and it wouldn't be a bad idea to try again sooner. also, definitely have as many people as possible read your personal statement and activities. sometimes it's not about adding more but showcasing what you already have in the best light. how you present things matters a lot.

your school list could also be a potential factor. best of luck.

I re-applied while still on the waitlists for schools from the previous cycle. If you want to re-apply in the next cycle, I'd suggest starting today making the improvements on your application. I'm brutally honest with myself and realized that I would more than likely have to re-apply so I didn't waste any time waiting to see.

Do schools that I re-apply see my previous application and compare? or Will they just know it based on how I answer the questions in the secondary about what I changed between last cycle and this cycle?

most schools keep applications on file for at least a while. it depends on each school, but there are ones who evaluate reapplicants separately by comparing their previous applications to the current one. this is why it is never advisable to reuse essays without significant improvement. it's a chance that isn't worth taking.

there are also schools that limit how many times a student can apply (albert einstein I believe?).

Thanks!

AMCAS has an option to import old materials from last application cycle to your current one, but it requires that you rereview everything before submission. most schools have completed their cycle before AMCAS reopens for the following year.

I waited a year and now have an acceptance. It gave to time to retake the mcat, become a cna, and get more volunteer and shadowing experience.

Thanks!
Any subsequent applications through the primary are processed for the current application cycle. It will have no effect on your current cycle in terms of acceptances. However, you should have a pretty good idea of where you stand by mid-june since schools like to start finalizing their lists in april/may (some schools earlier)

Either way, it won't effect this year's application