Professionalism in Medical School--Does anyone else feel like this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like our med school professors really try to stress professionalism (MUCH MUCH MORE THAN UNDERGRAD).

They sort of make me feel like I'm not mature enough to be in medical school (this is made worse by the fact that I am probably one of the youngest people in my class. 21 years old).

Examples of when I felt immature/unprofessional:
- In anatomy lab, the prof was standing on the other side of the room. Our group had a question. So, I raised my hand to get his attention. He looked, but wouldn't come over. I had to walk over and he said, "Yes? Are you waving at me? Saying good afternoon, huh?"

- I was walking to my first ethics class today and I didn't know what room to go to (no one did really...they forgot to send the assignments). I saw my professor (I couldn't remember his name though). I stopped him and asked "Do you happen to know what room we're in?" He kind of acted like I approached him in the wrong way. I admit, I should have said, "Excuse me..Dr. XXXX." first but I didn't know his name.

- Lastly, everyone has to shake the professor's hand and state your name before you can walk up and ask a question.

-Our class has been lectured several times about "inappropriate responses" on evaluation forms of the profs. For example, someone (not me) wrote, "the exam was too hard!!!!" and the professors were furious because the comment was unprofessional.

Just looking for a discussion about professionalism in med school. Do you think they should emphasize it this much? Why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like our med school professors really try to stress professionalism (MUCH MUCH MORE THAN UNDERGRAD).

They sort of make me feel like I'm not mature enough to be in medical school (this is made worse by the fact that I am probably one of the youngest people in my class. 21 years old).

- In anatomy lab, the prof was standing on the other side of the room. Our group had a question. So, I raised my hand to get his attention. He looked, but wouldn't come over. I had to walk over and he said, "Yes? Are you waving at me? Saying good afternoon, huh?"

- I was walking to my first ethics class today and I didn't know what room to go to (no one did really...they forgot to send the assignments). I saw my professor (I couldn't remember his name though). I stopped him and asked "Do you happen to know what room we're in?" He kind of acted like I approached him in the wrong way. I admit, I should have said, "Excuse me..Dr. XXXX." first but I didn't know his name.

- Lastly, everyone has to shake the professor's hand and state your name before you can walk up and ask a question.

-Our class has been lectured several times about "inappropriate responses" on evaluation forms of the profs. For example, someone (not me) wrote, "the exam was too hard!!!!" and the professors were furious because the comment was unprofessional.

Just looking for a discussion about professionalism in med school. Do you think they should emphasize it this much? Why or why not?
man, your professors sound like they have sticks up their asses. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)

WTF?

WTF??

WTF??? Where do you go to school?

Part of "professionalism" is learning how to pick your battles.

Your prof sounds like a tool, and is not indicative of the large majority of faculty you will interact with during your med school years. But still, there are some like him, or worse, that you will be forced to maintain professional relationships with - especially during your clinical rotations where they will be grading you. I recommend learning to grin and bear it, unless they do something that has serious implications (not utilizing 'professionalism' for simple ego massaging as you describe). Then there should be proper channels in place to utilize.

For negative feedback, I find things are much smoother if they are offered in the context of constructive criticism. Instead of saying "the exams were too hard," which can be construed as whining, instead offer suggestions on how to make the exams more fair. This lends validity to your point and prevents the person receiving criticism from feeling directly attacked.

As for professionalism and its emphasis in med school curriculum, there's several reasons for it in today's day and age. I know it was a "point of emphasis" for the AAMC several years ago, so schools ramped up their professionalism shtick for accreditation issues. It's also a matter of precedent. If the school chooses to emphasize that certain behaviors are "unprofessional," odds are students have engaged in those behaviors in the past. You'll be amazed at the incidents that have occurred before you - from cadaver vandalism in anatomy lab, to cheating on exams, to inappropriate patient encounters, etc. "Professionalism" education is a CYA tactic by the school so that if a student DOES cross the line, the school can say "it's not like we didn't tell you so."

I don't think its an age issue. I was also 21 when I started medical school, but never felt like I was being chided as if I was a small child. You'll find maturity very rarely correlates with age amongst your classmates.

I guess the gist of it is: You're going to have to suffer through it, no matter how ridiculous you think it is. So try to take something away from it.

Let's just say it's a mid-tier school on the east coast. Don't really want to put the name here, though I'm sure you could find it on your own if you searched my posts.

It's not all bad. Sometimes their emphasizing professionalism is ok. For example, they make us dress up on days when there are patients coming in to speak with us or when we are working with standardized patients. That's a good habit to teach I guess.

Also, someone left a cadaver uncovered and I thought the profs were going to tar and feather someone. We got like 5 emails about professionalism and they threatened to lock the lab up when class is not in session. It was my cadaver that they left open. So I was happy with their threats (although also glad they didn't lock up the lab for good.)

Let's just say it's a mid-tier school on the east coast. Don't really want to put the name here, though I'm sure you could find it on your own if you searched my posts.

It's not all bad. Sometimes their emphasizing professionalism is ok. For example, they make us dress up on days when there are patients coming in to speak with us or when we are working with standardized patients. That's a good habit to teach I guess.

Also, someone left a cadaver uncovered and I thought the profs were going to tar and feather someone. We got like 5 emails about professionalism and they threatened to lock the lab up when class is not in session. It was my cadaver that they left open. So I was happy with their threats (although also glad they didn't lock up the lab for good.)
or your mdapps

your profs seem to be psychos

If you put as much effort into your studies as you seem to put into trying to analyze your profs, you might make AOA. Chill out and concentrate on what is important.Medical school is a very short part of your training for becoming a physician. You need to figure out what's important and let the rest of the "touchy feely" crap go. That's professionalism in a nutshell. Either you do your job or you don't. If you don't (or can't), no amount of "professionalism" is going to mean much.

sounds like either the admins are a bunch of aholes or a lot of the past students were aholes. but i feel ya, it really sucks when they make you do a ton of stuff that doesn't really have anything to do with real professionalism

Your school sounds a little more extreme on the whole professionalism thing. I wonder if the school has always had a pretty traditionalist culture, and now they use the term professionalism to fit that. I agree that tuning it out is about your only option now. Skipping non-required classes is a good way to do that. :) Also, I doubt your clinical professors will have the same attitude.

It sounds like your professors are confusing "professionalism" with "attention to detail." My school did the same thing.

Of your stories, the only one even close to breaching professionalism was your failure to address your prof by the appropriate title. For future reference, when you can't remember the name, go with "Sir" or "Ma'am". It's not just for military use, trust me.

The remainder are simply situations where your school has demanded that a certain policy or procedure be followed, and you (or others) have failed to do so. That's not a breach of professionalism, it's intellectual laziness, and those aren't the same thing.

Don't take this as a sign that they think you are immature, or treating you like a child. They are trying to instill in you that there are expected ways of doing things, and if you can't follow simple directions, life will be much harder later on. This sounds like pretty good training for the day when you are managing 50 patients on the wards as an intern, and all 10 attendings have different expectations of how their patients are to be cared for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all of us get some of the professionalism spiel, sometimes taken to extremes. Hell, I think some of us have classmates who chime in on the side of the faculty.

I'm with njbmd for the most part. Can't really do anything about it, so you might as well take it in stride as best you can.

But hey, just know that you're not the only one. Professionalism is one thing; being an automaton is something else entirely.

$0.02 deposited.

Let's see if I got this right:

S: Jibber, jabber, you mean when students raise their hand in lecture, they want to talk to me? bitch, whine, moan.

O: Stiff back. Pursed lips. Tight anus on DRE. Bulging eyes

A: Rectal rigidity secondary to misplaced stick

P: Surgical consult for a stickectomy.

Life goes a lot better if you accept the things you can't change. You complaining isn't going to change anything. My strategy is to just shut up and do it.

I feel you OP, it is a bit ridiculous sometimes. Although it seems like society places less value on developing proper social etiquette today than in years past so a little bit of "guidance" is probably a good thing. I just remember that no matter what crap we have to put up with, at the end of four years we'll have an MD, and at the end of residency we'll be able to practice. The time is going to pass at the same rate regardless, sucks if you don't like your situation but don't let that get in the way of reaching end goals.

Is your medical school run by Nazis?

ULTRON

This might be because not much professionalism is not expected from a college student. Things change when you get to medical school. You're expected to act professional, you're in a professional program.

There is a good chance that your professors are trying to prepare you for 3rd and 4th year (and for the rest of your career). Lack of professionalism could make a huge impact on your grade during rotations. Better to learn it now than finding out the hard way.

Professionalism is VERY heavily emphasized at my school, most likely because we have so many BS/MDs that make up our class, and they tend to be younger (this girl turned TWENTY today!) and perhaps a bit less mature. But geez, nothing like the OP has described. That's just ridiculous. Do they really think they are fostering any kind of effective or supportive learning environment? I would be scared to death to go see a professor with questions.

Professionalism is the most overused word in medical school.

"Professionalism" is a problem when it sneaks into all our graded standardized patient exercises, which allows a harsh amount of subjectivity to get incorporated into your grade when it shouldn't make a difference.

Yes, I agree, if I swear at my patient, throw something, goof off, or don't stick to the task at hand during my encounter, then by all means points should be deducted.

Other than that, however, it seems like the only way to "ace" this portion of the exam is to be one of the 4:
1) All-American golden boy (1 or 2 per class)
2) robot
3) doormat
4) a girl

So basically I can't comment about the weather while I'm palpating the spinous processes to feel for tenderness? Come on now.

Really not kidding about #4. Most males are getting shafted BIGTIME in our most recent patient exams.

Our school emphasizes professionalism during orientation. No obscene clothing, disrespectful behavior, etc. - all the no-brainer stuff.

I wish someone would have explained it carries over to emails too.

I don't especially like being addressed as "pimps and pimpettes" on class-wide email distributions by a euphoric med student.

Our school emphasizes professionalism during orientation. No obscene clothing, disrespectful behavior, etc. - all the no-brainer stuff.

I wish someone would have explained it carries over to emails too.

I don't especially like being addressed as "pimps and pimpettes" on class-wide email distributions by a euphoric med student.
You need to take the stick out of your ass too.

lol there are just sticks stuck up asses everywhere :D

"Professionalism" is a problem when it sneaks into all our graded standardized patient exercises, which allows a harsh amount of subjectivity to get incorporated into your grade when it shouldn't make a difference.

Yes, I agree, if I swear at my patient, throw something, goof off, or don't stick to the task at hand during my encounter, then by all means points should be deducted.

Other than that, however, it seems like the only way to "ace" this portion of the exam is to be one of the 4:
1) All-American golden boy (1 or 2 per class)
2) robot
3) doormat
4) a girl

So basically I can't comment about the weather while I'm palpating the spinous processes to feel for tenderness? Come on now.

Really not kidding about #4. Most males are getting shafted BIGTIME in our most recent patient exams.

bro standardized patient exercises are the bane of my existence. I feel great pressure to regurgitate canned responses and as a result none of what i say comes out naturally -- it all feels and sounds (the important part) forced and i hate it.

my favorite is telling a patient they are overweight and getting the challenge "so you think i'm fat?!" GOD DAMMIT

We had the same cadaver situation happen here. The same threats were given. We weren't yelled at about "professionalism," though.

This might be because not much professionalism is not expected from a college student. Things change when you get to medical school. You're expected to act professional, you're in a professional program.

There is a good chance that your professors are trying to prepare you for 3rd and 4th year (and for the rest of your career). Lack of professionalism could make a huge impact on your grade during rotations. Better to learn it now than finding out the hard way.

I agree. I'm shocked sometimes by things that people do during clinical rotations. Basic manners seem to escape some folks. I did feel like the professionalism stressed during the first few years was a bit excessive but seeing how it didn't penetrate I think we need more and probably a different approach to getting it thru to some folks.

man, your professors sound like they have sticks up their asses. Sorry.

It sounds like the rods up their asses have rods up their asses.

OP:

Illegtiimi non carborundum.

A degree of medical school is playing others silly little games to get where you want to be in life. In fact, that's just life in general.

So play the silly little games, don't take any of it personally (you haven't really done anything truly "unprofessional" so who gives a damn what they think) and resolve not to be "that guy" when you are teaching someone or in a position of authority.

Last edited:
Illegitimi non carborundum.

So play the silly little games, don't take any of it personally... and resolve not to be "that guy" when you are teaching someone or in a position of authority.

This post should be required reading for all medical students on this planet.

You gotta level the playing field.

Don't wear a belt, and midway through the interview let your trousers slide down a little ways. Give 'em a little glimpse of some tube steak, then say indignantly, "Excuse me, my eyes are up here, ma'am!"

They'll respect your confidence, and it may give you something to do later that night, if you know what I mean...

I literally just laughed out loud.

You are working towards a professional degree, so professionalism is obviously important. You cannot talk to your professor the same way you talk to a random stranger, and you cannot behave in front of your professors the same way you behave in front of your friends.

However, its excess can sometimes be a problem. Professors sometimes mistreat students in the name of professionalism.

You are working towards a professional degree, so professionalism is obviously important. You cannot talk to your professor the same way you talk to a random stranger, and you cannot behave in front of your professors the same way you behave in front of your friends.

However, its excess can sometimes be a problem. Professors sometimes mistreat students in the name of professionalism.

I agree. In fact, I propose that all medical students be required to snap to the rigid position of attention when addressing a Dr. or instructor and maybe we can integrate saluting as well.

Or perhaps we can all agree that some people are just jerks that get off on abusing students under the guise of "professionalism" to compensate for their own inadequacies. That sounds like the case here (w/ perhaps the exception of not covering the cadaver. I understand the need to be excessive when it comes to cadavers).

This post should be required reading for all medical students on this planet.

Thanks.

Just because we are students doesn't mean we can't call a spade a spade.

My experience with the concept of "professionalism" in medical school is that it can become a convenient tool for a given school's administration and staff to establish control over it's students and to provide a certain kind of outward appearance to the public. It kind of gives the school a sort of carte blanche ability to do or enforce something without having to provide an explanation. It's a nebulous concept for sure and it can be twisted devilishly, just like, for example, the concept of "national security." I don't like how it sometimes plays out, personally, because if folks want something enforced, they should just be upfront about it, instead of trying to pass it off as some ridiculous admonishment of "not being professional." There's nothing wrong with tastefully laying down the law. It's one thing to do that and completely something else to ignore or be rude to a student because they didn't address them the way they would have liked them to. To me, that's unprofessional. I suppose some people don't know any other way to make things happen other than to treat professional students as little kids. I mean, it's hard. It does take a bit of intelligence to be a leader. Wasn't it Lao-Tzu who said, "A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves" ?

Anyway, that being said, I do think it is important to be professional in your interactions. To me, this means being truly conscious of your context, listening deeply, and choosing to act in a situationally-appropriate, ethical manner. I do think you can teach some of it, especially by modeling (very important) and by providing useful feedback to students, helping them to make fine adjustments as need. However, there is also a lot you cannot directly teach, especially when it comes to attitude. You can help mold a student's behavior, but it can be difficult to change someone's attitude. That can only come from the student himself. For that, I think there needs to be an organic willingness. Current attitude is shaped by many things, but I think a lot of it has to do with upbringing, openness to learning, events in that person's life, and the environment from which the person was socialized. The student brings these things with him to the school. Attitude and personality are fluid, of course, and I think they can be reshaped and encouraged with the right kind of influence and education. Having a stick-up-your-butt approach in dealings with students isn't really an effective way to encourage true professionalism, in my mind. I think schools need to approach this differently, for a more lasting effect. Students need to be encouraged to think.

OP, as others have said, just play their stupid little games and move on. It's not worth being a rebel this early in the game. Learn from the experience and do something different later on.

Last edited:
My experience with the concept of "professionalism" in medical school is that it can become a convenient tool for a given school's administration and staff to establish control over it's students and to provide a certain kind of outward appearance to the public. It kind of gives the school a sort of carte blanche ability to do or enforce something without having to provide an explanation.

I've found this to be true in my experience as well.

Students aren't coming to lectures and are instead just listening to them online? Announce that skipping lectures is "unprofessional".

Students are giving negative comments about a course? Announce that the nature of their comments is "unprofessional".

Students complain that an exam was moved forward on short notice? Announce that part of professionalism is always being prepared for unexpected events.

Part of the problem is that the people deciding what professionalism in medicine is during the preclinical years are not actually physicians. And then "whatever we want students to do" becomes "professionalism".

Professionalism is in the same category as empathy.

They're like the synergies and competencies of the business world.

Buzzwords. Jargon. Stupid.

wow my school is so chill compared so some of yours. they had to tell us at orientation to make sure that we wear undergarments at all times while we are at school.

My experience with the concept of "professionalism" in medical school is that it can become a convenient tool for a given school's administration and staff to establish control over it's students and to provide a certain kind of outward appearance to the public. It kind of gives the school a sort of carte blanche ability to do or enforce something without having to provide an explanation.

Yep. This is a universal medical school concept. It never really goes away even in clinical years. Better get used to it and when they harass you about professionalism, pretend to take it seriously. Failing to do so will make you a target to them, which is a bad, bad thing. Just roll your eyes when you're alone.

And make sure to go into a highly paid subspecialty and flip them the bird on your way out after graduation. They hate that. :laugh:

Like all posts prior, my school is giving my classmates and me a heavy dose of professionalism. Additionally, we received a doubly heavy dose of ethics, medical ethics, and bioethics. Is this found in any other schools?

Like all posts prior, my school is giving my classmates and me a heavy dose of professionalism. Additionally, we received a doubly heavy dose of ethics, medical ethics, and bioethics. Is this found in any other schools?

That's what we're saying. Yes, it is.

from my experience it seems the ones who stress this are often the faculty that are the biggest dicks.

The survey cited a handful of examples. In one, a student posted identifying patient details on Facebook. Another requested an inappropriate friendship with a patient on the site. Others used profanity, according to the deans.
Oh heavens!

Coming soon, mandatory "online professionalism classes" to further waste your time as Medical School finds a way to suck the life out of yet another fun thing.

I swear, this would just all be so much easier if medical students were auto matrons.

Last edited:
That's clearly a popular thought.

I love the disconnect in the teaching faculty that occurs sometime along the progression of their careers when they forget just how dorked up they were as medical students.

I hope I am never that way.