program not happy from me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hasf

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i am 1 yr intern, int med, my program is generally not happy from me because of (i think very trivial things).
today my pd called me and delayed my graduation to 3 months.
i m so frustrated, dont know what to do

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a prelim intern headed to an advanced program next year? Because if that's the case, the first thing you need to do is call your advanced program PD.

If you're a categorical medicine intern, you need to do exactly what your PD told you to do, put your head down and do your work. You need to seek out feedback from seniors and attendings about what you need to do to improve. You need to make sure nobody ever hears anything but good news about you going forward.

Reactions: 3 users
hi all,
i am 1 yr intern, int med, my program is generally not happy from me because of (i think very trivial things).

Let me just say that no PD delays graduation for a resident due to trivial things. This is not some little thing you just brush off and go about your life with. It's a pretty big deal to already require a 3 month extension when you are <9 months into your intern year. Do what gutonc says, but, in addition, really think about why you might be struggling or having issues in your residency.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hi all,
but apparently your PD does not find them to be trivial things...you need to realize that a 3 month delay in graduation is pretty significant....

Reactions: 1 user
hi all,
Are you a prelim intern headed to an advanced program next year? Because if that's the case, the first thing you need to do is call your advanced program PD.

If you're a categorical medicine intern, you need to do exactly what your PD told you to do, put your head down and do your work. You need to seek out feedback from seniors and attendings about what you need to do to improve. You need to make sure nobody ever hears anything but good news about you going forward.

thanks all, i am a in categorical IM program.
You all are rights i already started hard work
i think i m very week in academics and then my poor ITE score makes everything worse for me.

hi all,

can i ask this question here
how bad is delay in graduation is?
i have no idea about this?

can i ask this question here
how bad is delay in graduation is?
i have no idea about this?
if you plan on going out into the workforce, not a big deal, but if you plan on doing fellowship, you will have to wait a year since most fellowships start in july and i doubt that any place will wait 3 months for you.

Sometimes a delay in graduation is the first step to trying to kick a resident out.

You need to start increasing your efforts significantly and improve as the PD wants and expects, now.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the first step is to have a mature insight about where you stand at right now and to identify that there is a problem with your growth chart as a resident especially that you are on the verge of turning into a senior into few months and this require for you to at least be "safe" and with your PD feedback he is apparently thinks not and with you using the word "trivial" it also implies that you lack insight of your critical situation.
Now even though the situation is not so good for now it is important for you to realize that this is pretty much reversible so with the right efficient amount of hard work you can improve and get your self out of this. So talk to your PD and show a genuine desire to change, be open for criticism and work hard with your seniors to get the best evaluations possible and of course to show an actual growth and Study study study and try to LEARN instead of getting dragged into a comfortable zone of doing the same old plans without actually doing some serious thinking for each patient

Good luck

I'm confused. You said in your first post you are "1 year intern" and later on you're in categorical program....so if you're 9 months into your intern year (first year of a three year residency), why are they talking about delaying graduation by 3 months which is over 2 years away? Or do you mean they are delaying your progression from intern to resident by making you stay an intern for an additional 3 more months?

I'm confused. You said in your first post you are "1 year intern" and later on you're in categorical program....so if you're 9 months into your intern year (first year of a three year residency), why are they talking about delaying graduation by 3 months which is over 2 years away? Or do you mean they are delaying your progression from intern to resident by making you stay an intern for an additional 3 more months?

Likely the latter..3 more months of being an intern before being promoted..it shouldn't delay your graduation though you should just have less elective time assuming you improve

Likely the latter..3 more months of being an intern before being promoted..it shouldn't delay your graduation though you should just have less elective time assuming you improve

This is incorrect. The ABIM requires 12 months at each level for graduation / board certification. The program will not be able to shorten the PGY-3 to make up for an extended PGY-1.

The rest of the advice on this thread is spot on. The most important thing is that the OP realize that whatever they thought was "trivial" is really serious. Their career is in some jeopardy here. If the problem is medical knowledge, that's the easiest to fix. The OP should be reading/studying EVERY DAY. The OP's plan should be to do as well on the ITE next year as possible, not just a minimum improvement.

Reactions: 4 users
hi all,

Not saying anything new here, but you are in much more hot water than you seem to appreciate. Every resident I have seen in your situation ultimately was fired/left.

They are building a case against you/building a paper trail so you don't sue them. You need to bust your ass to prove them wrong and walk the straight line.

Come in early, get your notes done promptly, dress nicely, read, come to conference, fill out your duty hours, be thorough.

Reactions: 4 users
Not saying anything new here, but you are in much more hot water than you seem to appreciate. Every resident I have seen in your situation ultimately was fired/left.

They are building a case against you/building a paper trail so you don't sue them. You need to bust your ass to prove them wrong and walk the straight line.

Come in early, get your notes done promptly, dress nicely, read, come to conference, fill out your duty hours, be thorough.

I would also add:

Don't be a complainer.
Don't brush this off. This is on you, not your PD.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.