Psych job flexibility post-residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophieea

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
"_"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This will likely depending on where you are, but at least in my area this is possible. Some of the women who have recently graduated and have young children elected to work part-time immediately after draining. I'm guessing that gigs in psychiatric ERs may be more amenable to this than, say, an outpatient or inpatient position.

Reactions: 1 user
This will likely depending on where you are, but at least in my area this is possible. Some of the women who have recently graduated and have young children elected to work part-time immediately after draining. I'm guessing that gigs in psychiatric ERs may be more amenable to this than, say, an outpatient or inpatient position.
Now what would Dr. Freud have to say about that?

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is fairly easy to do in this field. Call any recruiter and they should be able to find moonlighting gigs in most areas of the country. And if you do this for a few years it generally does not affect your reentry into full time work. The only exception is if you want to work in academia or on the administrative track. In these scenarios the typical advisory is to work through maternity, but try to figure out more flexible arrangements or hire help. Even then I think our field is much more family friendly compared to many other fields and a number of women have successful careers in senior administrative roles.