You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Army Psychiatry Residency in Hawaii
Started by slw2014
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Who is butt?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wholeheartedly disagree.
I got sent to the pink palace TAD because they needed a break (seeing fewer patients than I was at the time). Stayed at the Hale Koa and drank cheap Mai Tais for a couple weeks. Was pretty sweet
The super Mai Tais at the Barefoot Bar with rum 151 were awesome.
I have no memory of that
The super Mai Tais at the Barefoot Bar with rum 151 were awesome.
I'm not surprised.I have no memory of that
Some of us called it the Big Colostomy: it's pink, and thus healthy, but its main function is to put out s**t...
...the pink palace ...
TA - An IMG is not eligible to apply for a military residency unless you have an unrestricted license in a US state. Continue with your civilian residency application. Complete a year. Get licensed somewhere in the US then contact a military medical recruiter to apply for an active duty commission. Even as a licensed physician, the transition to an AD commission as a GMO won't be easy. Serve as a GMO for a period of time then apply for a military residency with no guarantee of acceptance.Is it opened for everyone or just who are from US Naval Medical school?
I'm serving in National Guard and I wanna practice in psychiatric field. However, I'm an IMG. Is it acceptable for me to apply for this program?
Are you a US citizen? What's your YOG?
Thank you for you reply. I'm a US citizen. my YOG is 2015.TA - An IMG is not eligible to apply for a military residency unless you have an unrestricted license in a US state. Continue with your civilian residency application. Complete a year. Get licensed somewhere in the US then contact a military medical recruiter to apply for an active duty commission. Even as a licensed physician, the transition to an AD commission as a GMO won't be easy. Serve as a GMO for a period of time then apply for a military residency with no guarantee of acceptance.
Are you a US citizen? What's your YOG?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Caribbean?Thank you for you reply. I'm a US citizen. my YOG is 2015.
Bottom line, the military can't help you until you have at least an unrestricted state license. Some states will grant one after just an intern year. But that intern year will have to be through a civilian program.
No, I'm from Vietnam. I got the emails from recruiters about being practicing medicine in the US. Yes, it requires 1 year in residency in civilian programs. Just asking if there is any change in this Hawaii program. Thank you for answering my concernsCaribbean?
Bottom line, the military can't help you until you have at least an unrestricted state license. Some states will grant one after just an intern year. But that intern year will have to be through a civilian program.
D
deleted981229
Assuming you are an enlisted soldier in the guard and you got your MD before you enlisted. Your best shot is civilian Residency.No, I'm from Vietnam. I got the emails from recruiters about being practicing medicine in the US. Yes, it requires 1 year in residency in civilian programs. Just asking if there is any change in this Hawaii program. Thank you for answering my concerns
The program above is reserved for HPSP/USUHS students. on the other hand, even if you get selected by the active duty component program, it’be nearly impossible for the guard to release you to go active duty. The guard is very restrict about releasing people.
Do well on your step 1 and 2 if you haven’t done so, apply residency in your state or neighbor states. ( hate to say it again that the guard will not release you unless you complete your obligation )
Another possibility, and I understand this isn't real attractive, is to go to medical school again in the US. I know one physician in the military (presently a resident) who completed several years of medical school in Vietnam, came to the United States, started over in a US medical school, and participated in HPSP.
I scored back-to-back 6 week clerkships at Tripler as a USUHS MS3. OB and ... I think it was peds. Stayed in the provided BOQ for part of it. Brought my wife out and stayed in Hickam AFB TAD housing for the rest. Something like $17/night for a 2 bedroom townhouse. Good times.I got sent to the pink palace TAD because they needed a break (seeing fewer patients than I was at the time). Stayed at the Hale Koa and drank cheap Mai Tais for a couple weeks. Was pretty sweet
D
deleted981229
Another possibility, and I understand this isn't real attractive, is to go to medical school again in the US. I know one physician in the military (presently a resident) who completed several years of medical school in Vietnam, came to the United States, started over in a US medical school, and participated in HPSP.
he/she can’t go to a medical school in the US. No medical school will accept him/her if the person already holds a MD degree from another country. Except NYCOM
U.S. IMG here. Should I do med school all over again in the US?
I'm a US citizen and am almost done with an IMG program in China (WHO certified program). I came here straight out of high school. My parents think I should take MCAT and apply for a US med school after I get my MBBS from here, because they think I won't be able to get a residency even with an...
some US dental schools accept those who already have DDS/DMD from other countries and provide a two year programs for those graduates
Last edited by a moderator:
Is that simply an admissions prejudice or is there some rule about it?he/she can’t go to a medical school in the US. No medical school will accept him/her if the person already holds a MD degree from another country. Except NYCOM
I would think most every medical school would be delighted to accept 4 years of tuition from someone with a near-certain probability of graduation and bonus diversity points.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 6K
D
- Replies
- 23
- Views
- 4K