This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nameste92

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I am a pre-med student in S.Florida who has interests in pursuing psychiatry after I graduate. As I began to study for the MCAT and later begin the application process to medical school I would really like to incorporate volunteer experience to my curriculum vitae. However, due to obvious privacy reasons I am running into lots of road blocks finding opportunities where I would be exposed to psychiatry. I used to volunteer at a children's hospital, however, I wasn't in an environment conducive for learning and/or 'shadowing' a psychiatrist. I would really appreciate any insight or advice on the matter.

Thank you.
 
I think the best option would be to look into volunteering at state psychiatric hospitals. I live in Virginia and I'm close to one of our state hospitals which expresses interest in volunteers. I'm not sure if this will be possible as I'm not sure how common this is and I know state hospitals are few and far between.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you get a CNA certificate or even a CPR card you may be able to get a job as a mental health tech. They like to see either customer experience or clinical experience.

Also check for a child crisis center or similar that you can volunteer at.