This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishfish42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on my application for the 2016-2017 cycle for physical therapy program and was wondering what other people thought about the essay prompt. It is: "What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program?" I feel like this prompt is a little vague and I am unsure which direction to go with it. Any thoughts are welcome!

Also, I was wondering how my stats are looking. Do they need improvement? Do they look good? Are these good or should I try to do more?
Major: Exercise Science: Pre-Physical Therapy
Current GPA: 3.54
GRE Scores: 148V 149Q 3.5AW
Hours: 150 hours at sports PT clinic, 50 hours in athletic training room; will complete at least 50 more at two other private PT clinics

Members don't see this ad.

I am working on my application for the 2016-2017 cycle for physical therapy program and was wondering what other people thought about the essay prompt. It is: "What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program?" I feel like this prompt is a little vague and I am unsure which direction to go with it. Any thoughts are welcome!

Also, I was wondering how my stats are looking. Do they need improvement? Do they look good? Are these good or should I try to do more?
Hours: 150 hours at sports PT clinic, 50 hours in athletic training room; will complete at least 50 more at two other private PT clinics

Hey!

Yes, I agree with you that the prompt is a little vague. I think they left it that way so it's open to your interpretation and there's no true wrong way to go about it. Make sure within your essay to make it personal though, as it is a personal statement while answering the prompt itself. I think they did it this way to see which direction the student takes it, and so they don't read thousands of the same essay.

Your stats aren't bad, but they could be better. Your GPA is around average for most schools i'd say, but your GRE is on the low side. I would suggest retaking the GRE to see if you can improve it at all, since your GPA is like I said, around average. I scored basically the same as you (only 1 point better), but I have a 3.9 cumulative GPA.

Hope that helps!

Hello!

Building off what @tonydo93 mentioned, one of the main things you definitely can improve on is your GRE since most schools prefer if you have a combined score of 300+, above 150 on both sections, and preferably at least a 4.0 on the essay portion. So if you were hoping to improve your application, that would probably be the first thing to try and tackle.

Is 3.54 your cumulative GPA? Like @tonydo93 said, it is right around the average for most schools. How do your pre-req GPA look? If your pre-preq GPA is super high while you're maintaining a cumulative of 3.54, then your GPA aspect should be alright. I know people with higher GPAs than you who did not get in or are waitlisted and I know people with lower GPAs than you get into multiple schools (me being one of them). While GPA is important, there are other aspects of your application that the schools look at.

Hello!

Building off what @tonydo93 mentioned, one of the main things you definitely can improve on is your GRE since most schools prefer if you have a combined score of 300+, above 150 on both sections, and preferably at least a 4.0 on the essay portion. So if you were hoping to improve your application, that would probably be the first thing to try and tackle.

Is 3.54 your cumulative GPA? Like @tonydo93 said, it is right around the average for most schools. How do your pre-req GPA look? If your pre-preq GPA is super high while you're maintaining a cumulative of 3.54, then your GPA aspect should be alright. I know people with higher GPAs than you who did not get in or are waitlisted and I know people with lower GPAs than you get into multiple schools (me being one of them). While GPA is important, there are other aspects of your application that the schools look at.

Yep! As far as stats go I'd say you should be alright if your pre req gpa is at or higher than your current cumulative.

I do agree with the above, in that you should aim for above a 300 GRE. I was at 298, but my 3.9 cumulative and 3.86 pre req ''made up for it' so to speak. The GRE is the easiest one and likely the only thing you could do now to improve your app if you're applying this cycle. Of course do great on the essays and get awesome LOR and I have no doubt you will get into some schools. I've been lurking on here for the past 8 months and I've seen plenty of people with lower stats get in.

Good luck!