Public Reaction to Ebola Case in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evisju7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinions welcome
Skipping the intro...

People are willing to allow rights to be taken because of a perceived threat. The reality: Ebola is not an immediate threat to you if you are an American. (Unless you are family with the guy who has it.. which is minuscule)

The overreaction points:
-flight restrictions
-mandatory lab tests
-government monitoring of recent travel activity

Normally, people would find those points outrageous and be strongly opposed. But because of FEAR, we allow these to be acceptable? I do not understand.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's all over the news. Keywords: Dallas and Ebola

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just reading people's comments on the new sites

The CDC's probably like "We're trying to contain a virus that kills over 50% of people it infects by making sure it can't possibly spread and identifying anyone who may have it. F*** us, right?"

Now that it's in America they'll figure out how to cure it within a month.

Reactions: 9 users
Body fluids. It spreads through body fluids. As far as I can tell through reading the media reports, the passenger refrained from ejaculating all over first class.

So much ignorance on the comments sections of these news articles. The few people who actually try to explain Ebola facts get shouted down as part of the medical world conspiracy. It's entertaining and sad at the same time.

Never let facts get in the way of hysteria, America.

Reactions: 7 users
Ebola in Texas...
m86lz.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Body fluids. It spreads through body fluids. As far as I can tell through reading the media reports, the passenger refrained from ejaculating all over first class.

So much ignorance on the comments sections of these news articles. The few people who actually try to explain Ebola facts get shouted down as part of the medical world conspiracy. It's entertaining and sad at the same time.

Never let facts get in the way of hysteria, America.

And Americans think they're so smart.

:smack:

It's funny because not much has actually changed. People with ebola have come to America and been treated here. Now there just happened to be someone who (probably) had the virus 10 days ago when he flew over from Liberia but it didn't manifest until he was here. Really, very little in this news story, except people can shout at you saying "The first American case of Ebola has happened," which, technically, is true, but just a guy who contracted it in Liberia and started to show symptoms here.

All the mass hysteria is so dumb. The news networks aren't helping either.

It only passes through bodily fluids that includes sweat, it's NOT airborne, and if an infected person touches a surface and their sweat is deposited on it....someone coming later on and contracting it by making contact there is very unlikely as well.

Rule #1 for the Media:
"If it bleeds, it leads."

Facts, Science and those other inconvenient things.....those just get in the way.

Opinions welcome
Skipping the intro...

People are willing to allow rights to be taken because of a perceived threat. The reality: Ebola is not an immediate threat to you if you are an American. (Unless you are family with the guy who has it.. which is minuscule)

The overreaction points:
-flight restrictions
-mandatory lab tests
-government monitoring of recent travel activity

Normally, people would find those points outrageous and be strongly opposed. But because of FEAR, we allow these to be acceptable? I do not understand.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's all over the news. Keywords: Dallas and Ebola
I meant about your assertion that people are giving up their liberties in exchange for perceived safety.

But I see what you mean. I haven't seen any reports of "hysteria" but I can fully understand the public freaking out over this. Heck, in Durand, Michigan people were flipping because of a hoax report that "dihydrogen monoxide" was in their ground water.

Reactions: 5 users
Looks like the CDC is going to get that budget increase they've been wanting for a while...

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
All the mass hysteria is so dumb. The news networks aren't helping either.

It only passes through bodily fluids that includes sweat, it's NOT airborne, and if an infected person touches a surface and their sweat is deposited on it....someone coming later on and contracting it by making contact there is very unlikely as well.

Yeah, but the problem is that so is HIV/AIDS and look how many people it kills a year. The problem lies in the fact it has a ~20 day incubation period and the patient was previously seen by doc and sent home. Who have they been in contact between then? Who dealt with bodily fluids at that time of visit? They could be completely healthy and not even know they have been infected. Just because it is only through direct body fluid contact does not mean it is any less of a threat. I know the doctors at my hospital are concerned over how to diagnose, aside from a fever and foreign travel. Do you suspect everyone with a fever? How long do labs take to come back? Should they be placed in isolation until then? etc... We have set up a specific 'ebola' room even though the likelihood of us having exposure to someone with Ebola is slim. IMO, moderate cause for concern is warranted.

Also, these hemorrhagic fevers kill people so quickly and in such a blatant manner, the patients rarely get the chance to interact with other people. Ebola is also only transmissible when the infected individual is symptomatic.

Y'all should read The Hot Zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, these hemorrhagic fevers kill people so quickly and in such a blatant manner, the patients rarely get the chance to interact with other people. Ebola is also only transmissible when the infected individual is symptomatic.

Y'all should read The Hot Zone.

Actually, that's exactly the problem. If you read any news article comment section it's all too evident that many people have read The Hot Zone and consider themselves instant Ebola experts. That book is the main reason everyone is freaking out. "It'll make you bleed from every orifice!!!!! It's gonna kill us all!!!!"

That said I do think the authorities and the media are downplaying the risk. No, it's not as contagious as influenza or measles but it's a heck of a lot easier to spread around than HIV.

Apparently the guy was vomiting all over the sidewalk in his apartment complex as he was being taken to that hospital. Did someone clean up that vomit? If so, are they being monitored? Or worse yet, what if it didn't get cleaned up and there was a pile of ebola vomit sitting on a sidewalk for a few hours near where kids were playing, etc. The patients family is still out home with his used sheets and his used towels, presumably using the toilet he used??

He went to the ED once symptoms began... and was sent home with antibiotics???? Really??? His girlfriend took him there and told the nurse twice that he had just come from Liberia. The hospital is saying that that info 'wasn't fully relayed to the whole team.' Seriously? A guy walks in to the hospital with a thick African accent and says, "I've just come from Liberia and I'm sick," and the nurse forgot to relay that? And the doctor [/forgot] to ask him? Several people really screwed that one up.

I heard the ambulance he was transported to the hospital the 2nd time continued in service for two days. But officials are saying it's ok because the paramedics disinfected it using the same standard procedures they use after every patient? Ha! So we're wasting money testing this virus in BSL-4 facilities and putting patients in special isolation chambers on planes and so on? Just spray down the bed with Lysol and you're good, right?

The good news is that it appears Ebola is quite survivable given timely care and a good ICU.

He're in good ol' 'Murica it's easy to control, you just have to follow basic safety protocols.

Except apparently we're incapable of not dropping the ball on that.

Do I think there is going to be a nationwide epidemic of Ebola on the scale we see in Africa? Of course not. But I do think there is a very real possibility of several more cases popping up around this patient and his family, and there's a possibility of people dying and it could have been prevented.

And since the world's response to the epidemic in west Africa has been woefully too little much too late, it's inevitable that more cases will pop up anywhere in the US among people just having traveled from the Ebola zone. I can only hope that our public health system learns from this situation and doesn't bungle it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
@NurWollen , I was recommending it because it's a good read, not because it's a virology textbook lol. I think most of us are intelligent enough not to flip out over it.

He went to the ED once symptoms began... and was sent home with antibiotics???? Really??? His girlfriend took him there and told the nurse twice that he had just come from Liberia. The hospital is saying that that info 'wasn't fully relayed to the whole team.' Seriously? A guy walks in to the hospital with a thick African accent and says, "I've just come from Liberia and I'm sick," and the nurse forgot to relay that? And the doctor [/forgot] to ask him? Several people really screwed that one up.
Psshhh
3AyA7dZ.jpg

Amirite?

I heard ebola leads to autism

Reactions: 2 users
Comparing HIV to Ebola just because both are blood-borne is a real stretch. With HIV you can be asymptomatic for 8-12 YEARS, never knowing you have it, and be passing it around to sexual partners and people you share IV drug needles with,. With Ebola (according to you) you have about 20 days. It IS less of a threat because it's direct body fluid contact, because in most (but not all) situations, we don't have direct contact with people's body fluids in day-to-day life.

The 20 is just the time you are quarantined if you come in close contact with it (like in a level 4). Patients usually exhibit symptoms in a much shorter time frame.

Also there is some evidence that some strains are airborne (though never shown in humans). But I don't think anyone is suggesting this one is. Spooky though.

The 20 is just the time you are quarantined if you come in close contact with it (like in a level 4). Patients usually exhibit symptoms in a much shorter time frame.

Also there is some evidence that some strains are airborne (though never shown in humans). But I don't think anyone is suggesting this one is. Spooky though.

Those airborne studies make it very clear that droplet transmission is possible, but true aerosol transmission (I.e. sneeze and the room is contaminated) just isn't going to happen. No virus has ever been shown to change transmission methods in humans in the wild.

Also: yes, Lysol will take care of the virus. It's membrane-bound, and anything that disturbs that membrane inhibits infectivity.

So long as the CDC stays on top of it, the US will be fine. This Dallas scenario is one of the worst possible cases, and even it will be cleaned up with no more than a handful of secondary infections.

Here's a question for the community: why don't we see more efforts to fundraise? Why no special donation broadcasts for MSF? It seems like money is what Liberia needs more than anything else: money for sterile suits and to pay workers to track down infections.

Those airborne studies make it very clear that droplet transmission is possible, but true aerosol transmission (I.e. sneeze and the room is contaminated) just isn't going to happen. No virus has ever been shown to change transmission methods in humans in the wild.

Also: yes, Lysol will take care of the virus. It's membrane-bound, and anything that disturbs that membrane inhibits infectivity.

So long as the CDC stays on top of it, the US will be fine. This Dallas scenario is one of the worst possible cases, and even it will be cleaned up with no more than a handful of secondary infections.

Here's a question for the community: why don't we see more efforts to fundraise? Why no special donation broadcasts for MSF? It seems like money is what Liberia needs more than anything else: money for sterile suits and to pay workers to track down infections.
It looks like people are more interested in dumping ice water on themselves and adding to one organization's ~$100 million coffers.

Reactions: 5 users
@NurWollen , I was recommending it because it's a good read, not because it's a virology textbook lol. I think most of us are intelligent enough not to flip out over it.

Yeah I actually enjoyed reading it too, when I read it way back when. It's just funny because I see people on the internet parroting the same few, most shocking facts they remember from reading that book. 'Ebola-Reston is airborne, and what not.'

Of course Lysol can kill it. On a nice smooth surface, without any crevices or hiding places. Do you really think a normal standard 'get ready for the next patient' type cleaning is completely reliable for killing off all the ebola virions in that ambulance? There's a reason the virus is normally handled in BSL-4 facilities. You're right though, this instance will be contained with only a few secondary cases at most. What concerns me more is the apathy of world governments with the means to do something about the epidemic in Africa. As that epidemic grows, there will be more and more of these cases where someone jumped on a flight to the US or who knows where else after getting infected.

Some updates:

Potential contacts up to 100 people:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29462431

He apparently lied about having exposure to the body of someone who died of ebola-like symptoms:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a66e...4e/liberia-prosecute-man-who-brought-ebola-us

His family may have tried to violate their quarantine:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-patients-family-ordered-stay-inside-leave/story?id=25912405

Apartment he was in hasn't even been contacted by CDC:
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/heal...n-dallas-county-ebola-patient-cases/16524303/

I would like to see more discussion from people on this case and how it's being handled. Can anyone near Dallas give some more perspective on how the general public is reacting?

It's an unfortunate situation but an interesting one nonetheless.

Look at it this way:

Ebola kills AT MOST 70% of those infected. That means if EVERY PERSON IN AMERICA GOT EBOLA, there would still be ~100 million of us left.

Doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Look at it this way:

Ebola kills AT MOST 70% of those infected. That means if EVERY PERSON IN AMERICA GOT EBOLA, there would still be ~100 million of us left.

Doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

I guess you could also say the bubonic plague wasn't that bad either then. ha

I'm honestly disappointed that his family was quarantined/placed on house-arrest basically. From where I stand, I can see public fear and willingness to allow the government to use whatever powers needed to "protect" them from a threat. This shouldn't be handled lightly, but people need to be educated enough so that they don't allow the ABUSE of power. His family is being treated as criminals when they have done nothing illegal. Close monitoring for signs of illness and sanitizing their house would have sufficed just fine.

Haha, the comments are out of control and border on ridiculous. One woman said, "Sierra Leone is a terrorist, pure and simple. He knew he was exposed and chose to expose countless others." Fortunately several people did remind her that Sierra Leone is, in fact, a country, and not the name of the patient in Dallas.

I saw that too!!! I laughed so hard. And I read the lady's other comments on different articles. She's pretty much one of the town people from the TV show Parks and Recreation.

Last edited:
As an EMT (and premed student at UT-Austin), I see a problem with disposal of the disposable stretcher sheet the Ebola patient was lying on, which was probably tossed in a regular hospital garbage can instead of being bagged as HAZMAT. Also, a photo of the vomit-on-the-sidewalk clean-up shows two workers pressure-washing it with no protective gear on. Pressure-washing was a really bad choice, the stuff should've been HAZMAT bagged. Instead, it was aerosolized. And if the vomit was just sprayed around with no disinfectant (which was what it looked like), it will probably become food for vermin and possibly travel up the food chain. And while I'd hope the airlines are trying to contact everyone who sat near him on the plane, I kinda doubt it.