Pulmonary/Critical Care 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wasn't expecting to match but I did.

I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread. Was a lurker before. Hope to post more.

Members don't see this ad.

Matched to my number 1 choice, University of South Florida. Congratulations and best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to post some of my interview experiences and advice. I was a fairly competitive applicant. I'm going to skip over the obvious things that are helpful and just focus on a few things I found helpful. Ultimately, I ended up matching at a "top tier" program.

1. Research: I certainly don't have a research powerhouse background; however, one thing that served me well was that I new the data behind my research cold. There were a few times when someone would reference an article relevant to my field of research and I think it helped that I was able to speak intelligently about potential implications of other studies on my own project. Whatever your research is, make sure you understand it, have background reading and know what some next steps could be.

2. Interviews: Make sure you have a story to tell about who you are, why you want to go into pulmonary /cc and what you see as your career (private v. academic; research v. clinical; pulm v. CC). Most of the questions I got were fairly straightforward and asked me to address these sorts of topics. Almost every place asked me what I was asking for in a program. While I obviously spun my answer based on where I was interviewing; I made sure to be honest about what I want to do with my career and the sort of research I wanted to do during fellowship. The last thing I wanted was to say I want to be a primary researcher and work in a lab (when I don't) and then get to a program and have them be expecting me to be someone who I'm not.

3. After the Interview: I actually got very little post-interview contact. A few programs sent me positive (but not guarantees) e-mails in response to me expressing interest. Only a couple sent me unprompted communication. I did have a faculty member contact people at my top choice, but I don't know if it actually helped.

If I think of other useful things, I'll add them. Let me know if you have any questions.

For those of you that interiewed at Duke what did you think of the interview day? I did most of the interview day hosting so looking for areas that you thought we did well in or that you thought we could improve upon. Feel free to PM me if you do not want to post on the forum. Thanks and good luck to you all in July!

Can someone tell me what text book to read to prepare for pulmonary fellowship? Is Murray and Nadel the right one? Thanks!

is there a good internal medicine board review live course that the current fellow have attended? Thanks.

Does anyone know much about Loma Linda PCCM program in California? I know majority of California programs are difficult to get in. My friend is a resident there and said it is not super competitive. The program only has two US MD graduates and the rest are FMGs and DOs. Does anyone have any experience with Loma Linda?

Is it time to start a new 2013-14 PCCM application cycle sticky?

Also hope for some advice from those that just went through the application process. Perhaps even gain even more insight into certain programs as recently matched fellows start fellowship at their respective institutions.

Pulm/Critical care fellowship 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this forum. I know its a bit early for the fellowship process this yr. I intend to apply for PCCM fellowship this yr. Have been involved in some interesting clinical asthma research for about an yr but don't have any publications/abstract/presentations (and don't see any coming soon). Am an IMG and have been working as a community PCP for abt 5yrs after residency (from a good Univ program), just wondering if I had any chances to get a good clinically sound PCCM fellowship spot.Will appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Pulm/Critical care fellowship 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this forum. I know its a bit early for the fellowship process this yr. I intend to apply for PCCM fellowship this yr. Have been involved in some interesting clinical asthma research for about an yr but don't have any publications/abstract/presentations (and don't see any coming soon). Am an IMG and have been working as a community PCP for abt 5yrs after residency (from a good Univ program), just wondering if I had any chances to get a good clinically sound PCCM fellowship spot.Will appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pulm/Critical care fellowship 2014

Hi Everybody,

Honestly . . . will be an uphill battle. I mean, I don't know of any off the top of my head "bad" clinical spots for pulmonary and critical care by reputation, so just about any of them should be fine if all you want to do is general pulm and critical care.

How bad do you want to do this? It actually might be easier to find a solitary pulmonary spot first, and then a single year of critical care afterwards.

So I perused most of this thread and I realise as the cycle is over and the July 2014 cyycle is about to start most are probably done posting/reading it but if anyone interviewed for the 2 year pure CC or 3 year pulm/cc at wake could you PM me your thoughts about the 2 programs. thanks.

I spend all season doing my best to help out in here and I can only get three or four of you to tell me you matched??

Lame.

Congrats to everyone. And good luck.

I know that this is super late, but I got caught up in trying to finish my program, and I was involved in a very traumatic personal experience, which I won't get into now.

But I applied to like 30 programs.

Got 6-7 interviews.

Ranked only 2.

And got my #1.

Thanks for all the help.

I know that this is super late, but I got caught up in trying to finish my program, and I was involved in a very traumatic personal experience, which I won't get into now.

But I applied to like 30 programs.

Got 6-7 interviews.

Ranked only 2.

And got my #1.

Thanks for all the help.

Was the traumatic experience a dream where you ended up have to withdraw your apps and be a hospitalist instead for 2 years? Scary. Yet eerily familiar...... :(

Hello everyone,
I am applying for Pulm/Critical fellowship this year. I have a quick question regarding the time line, so the EFDO website says that we can apply on July 1 and on July 15 the programs will start downloading the application. So is it okay to submit our complete application before July 15 or we need to submit it before July 1. The reason I am asking is, I have not received my LOR's still, so should I ask my attendings to upload before July 1 or July 15th ??

Hello everyone,
I am applying for Pulm/Critical fellowship this year. I have a quick question regarding the time line, so the EFDO website says that we can apply on July 1 and on July 15 the programs will start downloading the application. So is it okay to submit our complete application before July 15 or we need to submit it before July 1. The reason I am asking is, I have not received my LOR's still, so should I ask my attendings to upload before July 1 or July 15th ??

You can submit your complete application any time after July 1.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Does it matter if we apply on July 1 or before 15th.. I mean, can the programs download it before 15th ? I

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Does it matter if we apply on July 1 or before 15th.. I mean, can the programs download it before 15th ? I

It won't really matter. Get the application done and submitted sometime July 1 or after. Programs won't be downloading until July 15th (earliest) if that's what ERAS says.

Thanks !! one more question regarding LOR, I read in the forums that it is always better to get LOR's also from attendings other than Pulm/crit , so I was thinking about getting one from Pulm/Crit attending, one from PD, one from haem onc.. I am left with the fourth one, I was thinking should I get from pulm/crit or from an internist ?

Thanks !! one more question regarding LOR, I read in the forums that it is always better to get LOR's also from attendings other than Pulm/crit , so I was thinking about getting one from Pulm/Crit attending, one from PD, one from haem onc.. I am left with the fourth one, I was thinking should I get from pulm/crit or from an internist ?

Well, get whichever will be better but assuming everything is equal, use the pulm/crit attending.

Hello,
Few doubts while I was trying to fill the application
1. Who is our supervisor during residency ? There is already a section for PD.
2. What should we write in work/voluntary/research experience ? Is it the experience prior to residency ?
3. Where we should mention about current research projects that we are working on ? The abstracts are not submitted yet, we are still gathering the data.
Thanks,

Hi,

I'm currently a PGY-2 (Graduated from Ross University) at a community hospital in NY and considering to go into Pulm/CC. I have pretty decent Step scores and passed Step 3. I've been involved in a few research projects, but haven't been a first author. I was wondering how difficult will it be for me to get into Pulm/CC and what can I do to boost up my CV? Thanks.

Hi,

I'm currently a PGY-2 (Graduated from Ross University) at a community hospital in NY and considering to go into Pulm/CC. I have pretty decent Step scores and passed Step 3. I've been involved in a few research projects, but haven't been a first author. I was wondering how difficult will it be for me to get into Pulm/CC and what can I do to boost up my CV? Thanks.

Pulm-CC isn't that competitive....yet.....

Get good LOR and most people will be ok

Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread. Applied for PCCM this year on July 18th. Still haven't received any calls, but few rejections from top institutions. Applied around 40 programs (didn't do much research, just took the top list from US News Pulmonology). I'm from a community program in Michigan, IMG on H1Visa, have reasonably good letters, bunch of posters including couple of research projects. I am hesitating whether I should apply for more program or wait few more days. Is it too early to expect interviews? Appreciate any input! Thanks

Probably a difficult question to answer but. I have applied to a bunch of small non-fancy programs with 1-2 fellows per year and most of the fellows coming from their own residency program. The reason is that I'm not a stellar applicant on paper. IMG, 2y post residency and also I don't really like the cut throat mentality of Ivy League places anyway but prefer small friendly places. Anyway, is it a waste of time applying to this kind of programs? I'm thinking (hoping) perhaps there is a shot at getting a spot if their own residents match at more prestigious places.

Edit: Just realized I posted in an old thread and not the current one..