Pulmonary/Critical Care 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is Metrohealth, OH? Anyone has any idea?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa is the only one on that list that will give you a real shot at an academic research career.
Ohio and Case are both also supposed to be good
The rest aren't particularly academic stand-outs - the rest as you like them. I am a fan of A&M.
I'd probably rank St. E's last - good pulm cases in boston just isn't going to go to St. E's.

Thanks JDH.
Any input how you guys rank these programs.
Tulane
University of Tenessee
Texas A&M
University of Houston

Members don't see this ad :)
How is Metrohealth, OH? Anyone has any idea?:confused:

Metrohealth has good clinical exposure and fellows are happy.They have very good faculty.It is one of the program of Case Western program.Its a nice program.

hello all,

What are your impressions when comparing UNC to WashU or Hopkins? I know all about the reps of the latter too, and I'm aware of the lack of ILD research at UNC, but I'm interested in airways anyway, sooo. Would it be a mistake to go to UNC for someone dead set on academics (mainly clinical/translational with an eye towards clinical education?)

Thanks.

hello all,

What are your impressions when comparing UNC to WashU or Hopkins? I know all about the reps of the latter too, and I'm aware of the lack of ILD research at UNC, but I'm interested in airways anyway, sooo. Would it be a mistake to go to UNC for someone dead set on academics (mainly clinical/translational with an eye towards clinical education?)

Thanks.

No. You gotta do what's best for you. It's not like your choices are WashU or Hopkins or Mickey Mouse University. UNC is still UNC.

No. You gotta do what's best for you. It's not like your choices are WashU or Hopkins or Mickey Mouse University. UNC is still UNC.

Also they have arguably one of the best public health schools in the country, if you want to be a clinician-educator and get a Masters. They have some good health services researchers and do good clinical outcomes research (Shannon Carson) and palliative care research.

Chapel Hill is a smaller but more beautiful place to live in than Baltimore or St Louis.

I know all these programs are very clinically oriented but how do you rank in terms of reputation and clinical experience.What you guys have done if location is not a priority.Which one has more reputation if want to go to academics down the road.Please help.

1.Tulane
2.University of Texas ,Houston
3.Texas A&M- Scott and white
4.University of Tenneessee,Memphis

I know all these programs are very clinically oriented but how do you rank in terms of reputation and clinical experience.What you guys have done if location is not a priority.Which one has more reputation if want to go to academics down the road.Please help.

1.Tulane
2.University of Texas ,Houston
3.Texas A&M- Scott and white
4.University of Tenneessee,Memphis

Oh boy.

I'm a big fan of A&M so I think A&M sits at that top of that list (though they don't have transplant and I believe UTH does, so if you are very interested in transplant then probably Houston at that top) . . . otherwise just go with your gut.

Oh boy.

I'm a big fan of A&M so I think A&M sits at that top of that list (though they don't have transplant and I believe UTH does, so if you are very interested in transplant then probably Houston at that top) . . . otherwise just go with your gut.

Can you pls any input about university of tenneessee,memphis and Tulane.Which you think is better name?

Anyone has any info on University of Louisville program? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone share their opinions about NYU and Mount Sinai - especially comparing the differences between clinical training in the ancillary hospitals (Elmhurst for Sinai, Bellevue and Tisch for NYU) and mentoring/support from faculty? Thanks.

Last edited:
Need help for my rank list. Already asked some opinions but still have some doubts.
I am interested in doing research, I want a good critical care exposure.
Any input will be appreciated.
this is my list:

- UH case western
- IU
-OHSU
-Cleveland Clinic
-Mount Sinai
-Henry Ford

Thanks

Need help for my rank list. Already asked some opinions but still have some doubts.
I am interested in doing research, I want a good critical care exposure.
Any input will be appreciated.
this is my list:

- UH case western
- IU
-OHSU
-Cleveland Clinic
-Mount Sinai
-Henry Ford

Thanks

Research doing what? And is IU, Indiana?

Hello guys,
Any ideas on how to rank some of my top choices? I am trying to go to a place with good research in critical care and maybe pulm htn, with a good clinical training..
In no specific order;
UPMC
CCF
UCSD
Duke
OHSU
UNC
Duke
Emory
Yale

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if all applicants that interviewed at Henry ford have received an e-mail from the new Division Chief.
Thank you

Hello guys,
Any ideas on how to rank some of my top choices? I am trying to go to a place with good research in critical care and maybe pulm htn, with a good clinical training..
In no specific order;
UPMC
CCF
UCSD
Duke
OHSU
UNC
Duke
Emory
Yale

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You're just showing off.

Pitt has more money for critical care research than just about anywhere, so if that's really what you're interested in and if can put up with that kind of program, that's probably a good number 1. Duke is so good, it's mentioned twice in your list, and is probably going to be a second on that list. I'm a HUGE fan of OHSU in general - they are lacking transplant at this time, but I think it's still a great academic program with plenty of research chances.

Apparently the dirty little secret about UCSD is that they have FANTASTIC pulm htn, but everything is is . . . meh . . . not bad, not stand-out. Hard to beat the location.

Hope you like transplant pateints, there is a very good chance you'll be up to your a-hole in transplant alligators in about 8 months.

You're just showing off.

Pitt has more money for critical care research than just about anywhere, so if that's really what you're interested in and if can put up with that kind of program, that's probably a good number 1. Duke is so good, it's mentioned twice in your list, and is probably going to be a second on that list. I'm a HUGE fan of OHSU in general - they are lacking transplant at this time, but I think it's still a great academic program with plenty of research chances.

Apparently the dirty little secret about UCSD is that they have FANTASTIC pulm htn, but everything is is . . . meh . . . not bad, not stand-out. Hard to beat the location.

Hope you like transplant pateints, there is a very good chance you'll be up to your a-hole in transplant alligators in about 8 months.
Thank you for the reply! I wish i was showing off and not worried about whether I should pick a better location vs a better training program. I do feel blessed about the choices I have!

I have no experience with transplant and so I cannot say if i like it or not.
I was very impressed with Portland but am not sure how reputed the program is in the rest of the country. The people do seem very nice!
Any idea about Duke vs UNC? I liked the area very much!

Thanks again for the help... !:)

Thank you for the reply! I wish i was showing off and not worried about whether I should pick a better location vs a better training program. I do feel blessed about the choices I have!

I was very impressed with Portland but am not sure how reputed the program is in the rest of the country. The people do seem very nice!

OHSU is well regarded generally, more so on the hard science side of things. It's a great program, one of my favorites.

Duke is Duke. It's going to be hardcore.

I've heard good things about UNC - solid program, solid training, nice people, good research. Enough transplant so you're exposed, but not so much you're overwhelmed.

Decide how hard core you are and then go with your gut between Duke and UNC (and OHSU).

Based on what you've told me, I'd say your vibe is . . .

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. OHSU

Nothing wrong with that list at all. Seriously. Nothing. It's time to pick the right program for YOU and YOUR career. Not all programs are going to be created equal when it comes to have you want your next three (or four! :)) years will go.

I don't know how well reputed OHSU is either. And the department is relatively small. But there are some stellar basic scientists on both the Pulm and CCM side of things and the CCM training is excellent. The pulm side is very good with excellent sleep and (informal) interventional training, especially at the VA. But there's no transplant and no Pulm HTN (either or both of which you could easily consider as a major plus or minus).

Can anyone give any input regarding Cleveland clinic versus Uni of Florida in regards to academic potential and overall reputation. I'm having trouble ranking them and cannot seem to pick one over the other. Any input is appreciated

Hey guys,
I was wondering If you can advice me in ranking between wayne state/Detroit versus SUNY downstate brooklyn. both seem to be strong clinical programs but regarding living and overall fellowship experience I am not able to decide which one should I rank above.Your input is appreciated.
Thanks

Can anyone give any input regarding Cleveland clinic versus Uni of Florida in regards to academic potential and overall reputation. I'm having trouble ranking them and cannot seem to pick one over the other. Any input is appreciated

Eh.

Cleveland for the transplant and ICU experience

Florida for the research and academic reputation

If it were MY list, I'd have Florida > CCF, but that may not be the kind of program you're looking for.

There is no wrong way to rank them.

Hi, This is my first time posting although i've been following this forum closely. I am still undecided regarding my rank list. Does anyone think I would be making a mistake to rank MUSC above Duke? I want to go into academics but beyond that i havent identified a specific area of interest in the field. Any help would be very much appreciated. The rest of my top 5 is UNC, U chicago and Boston U. Thoughts?

Hi, This is my first time posting although i've been following this forum closely. I am still undecided regarding my rank list. Does anyone think I would be making a mistake to rank MUSC above Duke? I want to go into academics but beyond that i havent identified a specific area of interest in the field. Any help would be very much appreciated. The rest of my top 5 is UNC, U chicago and Boston U. Thoughts?

Yes...that would be a mistake.

thank you for your opinion, would you mind explaining your reasoning?

Academic intentions, research leaning. Good vibe from all places. In no particular order:
U.Michigan
U.Maryland
VCU
UAB
OHSU (Oregon Health Science U)

Thoughts?

can we let the program director know about our intention to rank their program high??

Have to disagree with gutonc a little. MUSC has a nice little pulm/cc program with a research pathway built in. If is looks like the kind of place you'll like, will grow, and has people doing the research you're interested in, MUSC isn't a bad choice as long as you have the ducks you want lined up.

can we let the program director know about our intention to rank their program high??

Uh. Don't play that game. I've already discussed this more than once on this thread. If you want to tell you're number one they are number one go ahead and do that, but don't tell more than one program they are number one and don't play the "I will rank you highly".

Academic intentions, research leaning. Good vibe from all places. In no particular order:
U.Michigan
U.Maryland
VCU
UAB
OHSU (Oregon Health Science U)

Thoughts?

Can't go wrong with any of them, not really. Go with your gut and career goals.

Metrohealth has good clinical exposure and fellows are happy.They have very good faculty.It is one of the program of Case Western program.Its a nice program.
Thanks.

I was wondering about the following programs. I want to stay in northeast (near New York City). Mainly interested in clinical. Can anyone suggest how to rank them?
Yale
Jefferson
Drexel
Vermont
Uconn
UMDNJ
Winthrop
Albany
Buffalo
Syracuse
The others are not around here... So the will be lower in my list.

I was wondering about the following programs. I want to stay in northeast (near New York City). Mainly interested in clinical. Can anyone suggest how to rank them?
Yale
Jefferson
Drexel
Vermont
Uconn
UMDNJ
Winthrop
Albany
Buffalo
Syracuse
The others are not around here... So the will be lower in my list.

Probably Yale and then Jeff at the top. I really like the Vermont program and would probably put them three. The rest kind of how you like them.

Probably Yale and then Jeff at the top. I really like the Vermont program and would probably put them three. The rest kind of how you like them.

Anyone have first-hand knowledge (or hearsay) about the clinical training at Yale? (especially ICU, variety of bread and butter pathology in Pulm (including infection), ILD, and procedural training)

Anyone have first-hand knowledge (or hearsay) about the clinical training at Yale? (especially ICU, variety of bread and butter pathology in Pulm (including infection), ILD, and procedural training)

It's supposed to be good. Though, they don't have transplant.

Thanks. Also wanted some insight about the other programs specially
UMDNJ
Winthrop
Albany
Buffalo
Syracuse
I am more confused about these... :confused:

Thanks. Also wanted some insight about the other programs specially
UMDNJ
Winthrop
Albany
Buffalo
Syracuse
I am more confused about these... :confused:

You and me both . . .

Make choices based on 1) your gut 2) programs that offer the training you want (interventional bronch, IPF, pulm htn, etc.) 3) where you would prefer to live and 4) your gut

Nothing stand out about any of those programs, so you're going to have to use the criteria as above and I know I put "your gut" twice. Good luck.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to rank Stanford vs. Wash U. I am interested in staying in academics and getting some good exposure to research with good clinical training?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to rank Stanford vs. Wash U. I am interested in staying in academics and getting some good exposure to research with good clinical training?

Unless you see major deficiencies in either program based on your area of interest (e.g. ILD, pulm HTN, transplant, interventional) or gut feeling, i would emphasize on choosing a place based on where you want to live. St Louis is a very different city compared to the Bay Area, in more ways than one.

Agreed, unless there is mentor at one of hose programs doing the stuff you're interested in, then go with gut and location.

Please help ranking following programs:

University of Florida-Gainsville
Tufts-boston
Thomas Jefferson
UTMB -galveston
St Lukes , New york
Albert einstein- Phili

Probably want to go for Academics in future.
Thanks in advance!

Please help ranking following programs:

University of Florida-Gainsville
Tufts-boston
Thomas Jefferson
UTMB -galveston
St Lukes , New york
Albert einstein- Phili

Probably want to go for Academics in future.
Thanks in advance!

Hmm. I don't know really anything about the St. Lukes or AE-Philly program . . . so I guess unless you really love those cities, put them at the end.

The rest, probably . . .

Florida
Jeff
Tufts
UTMB

Though, I'd wouldn't protest too much if anyone wanted to put Jeff over FL. (I've seen their division chief give a talk [or at least she was their division chief back when I was interviewing] and they seemed like they had some interesting things going on as well as some interesting research. Seemed like a solid program, but kind of unknown at the same time. I didn't interview there.)

Please help with ranking the following programs (in alphabetical order)

georgetown
loyola
medical college of wisconsin
minnesota
the ohio state
saint louis university
stanford
university of illinois chicago
university of north carolina
washington university in st louis

interested in academics in future with some research

thanks!

I am sure everyones doing the last minute rounds.. Pls help me ASAP..Rank list order..my programs are

Yale
Stony brook
Brown
Albany
Cleveland Clinic
Stanford
UCLA
Baylor
UT Houston
UAB

Looking for a strong clinical program overall, name and opportunities for research. Heard great things about CCF always but not sure about some of the other