Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship Thread 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FOLLOWYOURHEART

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its that time of the year again. As ERAS is now open, i was hoping we could get some helpful discussions going here.

My credentials : IMG, no visa needed, average USMLE scores, posters, attended national conferences, manuscript in final review, popular university affiliated community hospital, plan of applying broadly.

Any advice from last years applicants would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to get a feel for what the average number of programs people apply to. I got nervous and way over applied for residency and trying to avoid wasting a bunch of money applying for fellowship. Obviously it will depend on the strength of application, but just trying to get a rough estimate of what people are doing.

Credentials: AMG, below average step 1, average step 2 and 3, university program, one poster presentation in residency, currently doing research on rare lung diseases

Trying to get a feel for what the average number of programs people apply to. I got nervous and way over applied for residency and trying to avoid wasting a bunch of money applying for fellowship. Obviously it will depend on the strength of application, but just trying to get a rough estimate of what people are doing.

Credentials: AMG, below average step 1, average step 2 and 3, university program, one poster presentation in residency, currently doing research on rare lung diseases

Based on what I heard from my seniors, fellows at my hospital who matched recently, it is wise to apply broadly if you are not limited by location. I think on an average each program recieves any where from 300-500 applications(granted depends on how desirable the program is), and they interview 30-50 people for 3-7 positions. And you should aim for 7-10 interviews to be safe.

As I am not limited by location(although would love to stay close to home, but I’d rather match than apply next year) I will probably apply to alteast 75 programs. I would rather be picky while ranking than while applying. I am mentally prepared to spend 3 months of my resident salary towards applications and travel. I have been saving up since first year of residency just for this reason. Thus that much money, to me is an acceptable investment. I’m sure everyone has different financial commitments so that obviously will factor in as well. And your application strength, AMG MD vs AMG DO vs IMG citizen vs IMG visa status will play a role(probably less than it did for residency). Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. 2nd year IM resident applying this season, PCCM and CCM. I am so confused about where to put my ATS abstracts. should it be poster presentation? or it is peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts? As it is peer reviewed and published on Am J Respir Crit Care Med.

Hi everyone. 2nd year IM resident applying this season, PCCM and CCM. I am so confused about where to put my ATS abstracts. should it be poster presentation? or it is peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts? As it is peer reviewed and published on Am J Respir Crit Care Med.

Good question. I have the same question. ATS, SHM and CHEST have their own online abstract journals containing the abstracts from the conferences. Not sure where to put them.

Also, do we have to detail our pulmonary / icu electives and rotations anywhere ? Is there any place that we have to talk about our residency in, besides the volunteer and publications bit?

peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts

I guess I should join into the discussion as well. I am an IMG with no visa issues and currently finishing chief residency in a community hospital. Aiming for a good pulm/ccm university based program.

Does anyone have a list of top/good pulm/ccm programs? Or at least the toxic programs that we shouldn't apply to?

I was originally planning to apply to 144 programs but I think that's a lot. I have removed some programs and the number is down to 100.

Has anyone noticed that ERAS is charging CCM and PCCM as the same specialty? I did experiment on it. 10PCCM+1CCM program = 115+13=$126, instead of 115+115=230.
It gets more expensive for me, because I am applying to 58 PCCM and 11 CCM programs

Submitted everything yesterday! Let’s use the same format as last year:

Please try to copy the list, add your invites in BOLD, and paste it into your post. Thanks.

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Submitted everything yesterday! Let’s use the same format as last year:

Please try to copy the list, add your invites in BOLD, and paste it into your post. Thanks.

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Please add DO applicants to this too!

DOs are AMGs.......

I agree with you blub but I believe I have read gutonc in past threads separate DO's from AMGs (American MDs). It's an extra category but it may be useful for DO applicants to see it separated out.

I agree with you blub but I believe I have read gutonc in past threads separate DO's from AMGs (American MDs). It's an extra category but it may be useful for DO applicants to see it separated out.
Don't put that on me. I am on record thinking that dividing these lists at all is stupid.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't put that on me. I am on record thinking that dividing these lists at all is stupid.
Apologies gutonc, I meant that traditionally AMG meant American MD applicants not that you had advocated list dividing. I have been browsing a lot of old posts in the last week and found in one thread about AMG and J1 visa that you said what is below (but that was back in 2014).

AMG has always meant "American Medical Graduate" and is synonymous with a graduate of an MD school in the US.

I’m also cool with not doing any headers and just listing programs:

BU - 7/17

The division of lists is meant to help IMGs, US IMGs, and DOs get a better idea of what programs are inviting them out since they obviously don't get the same opportunities as an AMG. I know AMGs can care less about the divisions since they get invites from all over, but let's maintain the lists to help others out.

Apologies gutonc, I meant that traditionally AMG meant American MD applicants not that you had advocated list dividing. I have been browsing a lot of old posts in the last week and found in one thread about AMG and J1 visa that you said what is below (but that was back in 2014).
Not entirely sure how that is relevant. I was simply referring to the provenance of the A in AMG in that post (Allopathic vs American).

But whatever. You all divide and fail however the hell you want to. Just leave me out of it.

Emory PCCM invite on 7/17

AMG-MD

Emory (7/17)

AMG-DO

IMG-US (does NOT need Visa)

IMG-International (needs Visa)

Reactions: 1 users
LoR question directed at the PD's (gutonc, apd) - Would an old PD letter for a previous residency which I completed in good standing and was 3rd year chief in (then switched to IM) be beneficial versus a newer letter from a hospitalist? I have 3 LOR currently - 1 PD, 2 PCCM and I anticipate they are strong. My previous PD letter would likely state support for IM residency and would be about 2 years old. Thanks for your help!

LoR question directed at the PD's (gutonc, apd) - Would an old PD letter for a previous residency which I completed in good standing and was 3rd year chief in (then switched to IM) be beneficial versus a newer letter from a hospitalist? I have 3 LOR currently - 1 PD, 2 PCCM and I anticipate they are strong. My previous PD letter would likely state support for IM residency and would be about 2 years old. Thanks for your help!
It's probably a coin flip for you in terms of which should be your 4th LOR. Use the one that will be the strongest.

It is a silence for now. No invites........

But again, its only day 3.

Fingers crossed!

Is it worth to call the programs or send reminder emails? I know some of my seniors did this during their fellowship season.

do you all think it matters that I turned in my application on July 17 as opposed to July 15? I was waiting until all my letters were uploaded...in retrospect, I should have just submitted on July 15. Didn't realize interview offers would be sent so quickly

do you all think it matters that I turned in my application on July 17 as opposed to July 15? I was waiting until all my letters were uploaded...in retrospect, I should have just submitted on July 15. Didn't realize interview offers would be sent so quickly

I don't think it will matter. I've been in contact with a few programs over the last 1-2 months to let them know of my interest and several have said "thank you for showing your interest...I'm going to keep your name listed to pull your application in a few weeks" (or something quite similar), and the latest message I received like that was 7/13. As well, two of my friends currently in PCCM didn't receive their first invites for interviews until early August (both were very strong applicants). I think very few programs have sent first round invites as of yet, so I wouldn't worry too much. Now I could be wrong, I obviously don't know this for fact, but it's just my opinion. I wouldn't say that I'm an outstanding applicant (AMG-DO, just above average board scores), but I feel that my application is relatively strong and should at least muster up some interviews. With that said, no interview invites yet. Keep a good outlook, we aren't even out a week yet, and keep in mind also that these programs are literally in the process of training an entirely new set of residents/fellows which has to keep them busy busy busy.

Updating the list. Only a few of the hundreds of PCCM, Pulm, and CCM programs have sent out interview invites. Don't let this list stress you out. May be worthwhile to review last years thread to see when the programs you're interested in sent interview invites last year (vast majority sent them out late July/early August) so 99% of folks do NOT have interviews right now.

AMG-MD

Boston University (7/17)
Emory (7/17)
University of Maryland (7/19)

AMG-DO

IMG-US (do NOT need Visa)

IMG-International (need Visa)

Rejections

Washington University/SLCM (7/19)

AMG-MD
Boston University (7/17)
Emory (7/17)
University of Kansas, Kansas City (7/19)

AMG-DO

Rejections

Are people using the in-ERAS messaging service for communication with fellowships? Or is it okay to just use Gmail? Easier to reply with Gmail from on a phone.

Mayo 7/20

NewAMG-MD
Boston University (7/17)
Emory (7/17)
Mayo 7/20

AMG-DO

Rejections

First one!

AMG-MD

Boston University (7/17)
Baylor College of Medicine (7/20)
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)

AMG-DO

Rejections

First one!

AMG-MD

Boston University (7/17)
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)

AMG-DO

Rejections

Baylor ccm or pccm?

I am 2 yrs out of fellowship from a very busy University East Coast program currently in private practice. Most fellowships are critical care driven as hospitals want bodies in the unit and I came out very confident of my critical care skills . You will learn chest tubes, lines/catheters, bronchoscopies and EBUS at most places . Navigation as well and you will get better at it with independent practice.
Try to assess how confident graduating fellows are in CC/chest ultrasounds. We can sit for CC echo boards from Jan 2019 and bill for basic echos on the unit patients . Ultrasound is the present/ future and this is one skill that truly can truly set you apart.
I had to hussle for intubations during fellowship as anesthesia was anal about this at my institution . I comfortably tube majority of my patients currently and usually call anesthesia if I am busy/ anticipate trouble. Ask around who tubes unit patients.
My pulmonary office experience was below average and I did not feel comfortable managing PH/ILD patients. I still refer out most PH but have learnt to manage ILD . We routinely do biologicals for asthma in the community and that generates a lot of $$, we did not do that during fellowship. Try to see how well the office is run and whether fellows are happy with the experience. Office is usually a welcome break from the unit in the community and honestly at least in my practice, my partners generate a significant revenue in an outpt setting. Ask who does PH, ILD .
Everyone can manage asthma,COPD, SOB,cough etc etc
You have to do a separate year for IP and having IP trained faculty should be a big plus . In my experience , IP trained ppl generally do not want to spend any time in the unit and are very aggressive with procedures which is great for fellows.
I do not think being at a transplant center should be a big deal .

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Wake Forest added...

AMG-MD
Boston University (7/17)
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections

Washington University in St. Loius (7/19)

Received BU today

AMG-MD

Boston University (7/17, 7/23)
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

University of Vermont (7/23)

Rejections

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)

AMG-MD
East Carolina University (7/23)
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
University of Arkansas (7/23)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)
Emory CCM (7/23)

REJECTION
Emory CCM (7/23)

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Georgetown (7/24)
Mayo (7/20)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Georgetown (7/24)
Mayo (7/20)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)

Which georgetown program?

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Georgetown University Hospital (7/24)
Mayo (7/20)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
UCSF (7/24)

Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
UCSF (7/24)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)
CWRU metrohealth (7/25)

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
UCSF (7/24)
Wake Forest (7/22)
University of Louisville (7/25)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)
CWRU metrohealth (7/25)

AMG-MD
Emory (7/17)
Mayo (7/20)
UCSF (7/24)
Wake Forest (7/22)

AMG-DO

Rejections
Emory CCM (7/23)

UCSF PCCM? Regular track?