Purdue c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I was looking into booking my hotel for my upcoming interview on the 25th. I was wondering, is it a big deal to stay at a hotel other than the ones they have listed? I found a few that are about half the price... I am driving straight from my school to Purdue so I will have transportation. Is there enough visitor parking on campus so that I won't have to worry about finding a place to park?

Thanks in advance!
Last year i did not stay in a hotel they listed. Also if i remember correctly if you stay still the end of the day either they gave a free parking pass or there was no one to collect money when you left the gargage. I would highly recommend the banquet. I found out more about the school and the people at the banquet than I did the whole day at the interview and tours. While i did not end up going to Purdue the experience certainly changed their ranking in my mind.
 
Review the curriculum and the classes you would be taking. Browse the website and familiarize yourself what the university has to offer. I read mission statement stuff as well just to understand what the university placed importance on. I also came up with several questions to ask the interviewers during my interview - I took a tiny notebook that fit in my pocket that had the questions written down already.

I wore a suit - this is what I saw most people in - business attire for sure - but you also want to be comfortable in what you're wearing.

Don't just review the questions - practice answering them out loud - in the car alone - to someone you love who can give you feedback.

Review your personal statement and your grades so you can quickly answer any questions about yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Good luck with your prep! 🙂
I would second this advice. I actually carried a brief case that had a notebook ( with info about Purdue and questions i wanted to ask.) and pen, a small bottle of water, and a copy of my VMCAS application.
I was asked questions about information on my VMCAS. In addition 2 of the 3 interviewers had NOT seen my application so dont make that assumption when answering their questions. I didnt find out until the interview was almost over that not everyone has seen my application.
 
For those of you with afternoon interviews (and previous interviewees), do you know when the best time to start in the interview festivities will be? I know check in is around noonish, but are you planning to/expected to go to the panels etc before check in? I saw that they were slightly different from the afternoon panels (with the difference being Life of first year vs second year or whatever). I ask because I am planning to drive to Purdue the morning of (2 hour drive) and don't know if I should be there in time for all the morning panels or just for check in. My intention is to arrive extremely early regardless.

Your insight appreciated 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you with afternoon interviews (and previous interviewees), do you know when the best time to start in the interview festivities will be? I know check in is around noonish, but are you planning to/expected to go to the panels etc before check in? I saw that they were slightly different from the afternoon panels (with the difference being Life of first year vs second year or whatever). I ask because I am planning to drive to Purdue the morning of (2 hour drive) and don't know if I should be there in time for all the morning panels or just for check in. My intention is to arrive extremely early regardless.

Your insight appreciated 🙂

I would recommend doing what you're interested in - I got the most information from the financial aid lecture and the banquet dinner speakers. So really it depends on what you want to learn about. I took a tour which wasn't the best (my tour guide wasn't very good) - but I had also been here before so it would be good for those who have not been here before.

I honestly put alot of focus on keeping calm and staying relaxed. I attended one of the classes (I recommend doing this) - couldn't stay for too long because had to go to my interview but gave me a chance to talk to a couple students and see how the problem based learning class was run (one of my favorite classes now).

Its a long day so getting here too early could leave you a little worn out before your interview - you want to be fresh 🙂

Remember to keep an eye on the weather - could effect your drive time - not sure where you're coming from but the weather has been crazy here - blizzard a couple weeks ago and now we are looking at high 50s for this weekend. Could be crazy weather so be prepared to leave earlier than you planned if weather isn't great.
 
OMG i havn't heard from them yet... they emailed me before new year asking me to submit an unofficial copy of my new transcript and nothing more after that... however I submitted my application at the last second, that might be the reason.... do you guys know when will be the last interview session? Im oos btw... have not idea whats going on..🙁
 
OMG i havn't heard from them yet... they emailed me before new year asking me to submit an unofficial copy of my new transcript and nothing more after that... however I submitted my application at the last second, that might be the reason.... do you guys know when will be the last interview session? Im oos btw... have not idea whats going on..🙁

Huh - that's kind of strange - never really heard of them doing that before - usually you don't send fall transcripts - maybe you were on a short list and they wanted some extra info on you. My understanding is they send invites and rejections at the same time (usually the same day). So not having heard anything is out of the ordinary for Purdue - but they could have made some changes this year. I know some schools will have an interview wait list in case people decline an invite - they will then contact people from the wait list to come and interview.

I don't think it would be out of line to call and see how things are going - check in to see where you are in the process or when you can expect to hear a response.
 
Huh - that's kind of strange - never really heard of them doing that before - usually you don't send fall transcripts - maybe you were on a short list and they wanted some extra info on you. My understanding is they send invites and rejections at the same time (usually the same day). So not having heard anything is out of the ordinary for Purdue - but they could have made some changes this year. I know some schools will have an interview wait list in case people decline an invite - they will then contact people from the wait list to come and interview.

I don't think it would be out of line to call and see how things are going - check in to see where you are in the process or when you can expect to hear a response.

Also - keep in mind we just got back this week from break - so if they are processing stuff that you sent them after the end of your semester - you might not have heard back yet. Purdue is not great about sending confirmation about receiving things - so you could call to make sure they received the fall transcript.
 
Huh - that's kind of strange - never really heard of them doing that before - usually you don't send fall transcripts - maybe you were on a short list and they wanted some extra info on you. My understanding is they send invites and rejections at the same time (usually the same day). So not having heard anything is out of the ordinary for Purdue - but they could have made some changes this year. I know some schools will have an interview wait list in case people decline an invite - they will then contact people from the wait list to come and interview.

I don't think it would be out of line to call and see how things are going - check in to see where you are in the process or when you can expect to hear a response.

....= = errr, nvm, sorry my mistake, I thought here was pharmacy forum...😳...but thank you anyways 😀
 
Are we allowed to check-in in the morning for afternoon interview so we know what time we'll be interviewed? And for those that's attended banquet or will be attending, any idea on the attire?
 
Are we allowed to check-in in the morning for afternoon interview so we know what time we'll be interviewed? And for those that's attended banquet or will be attending, any idea on the attire?
Yes I had an afternoon interview and checked in about 9:30 - 10. Did a tour and then got ready for my interview. I worn my same clothes that i interviewed in. I believe they said no jeans but cant swear to that.
 
Are we allowed to check-in in the morning for afternoon interview so we know what time we'll be interviewed? And for those that's attended banquet or will be attending, any idea on the attire?

Wore my interview attire to dinner which seems to be true of everyone - everyone was dressed nicely. You will be sitting at a table with a faculty member and current student. They say the interview is over at that point but some of the faculty at the tables are on the admissions committee - so you want to continue to make a good impression.

Yay for interview time!!! You guys are going to do great!!!
 
Wore my interview attire to dinner which seems to be true of everyone - everyone was dressed nicely. You will be sitting at a table with a faculty member and current student. They say the interview is over at that point but some of the faculty at the tables are on the admissions committee - so you want to continue to make a good impression.

Yay for interview time!!! You guys are going to do great!!!

Thank you Cypress and Museum Nerd. I am actually super nervous that I can't think straight. I feel like the moment I enter the room, my head will just black out and I won't know what I'll end up saying. I'm currently trying to review the questions from SDN, from online, and from Cypress's posted questions. While I'm practicing answering out loud, I feel like I'm either vague or talking too much. I know they are trying to get an idea of who I am but boy am I nervous or what. :help:
 
Thank you Cypress and Museum Nerd. I am actually super nervous that I can't think straight. I feel like the moment I enter the room, my head will just black out and I won't know what I'll end up saying. I'm currently trying to review the questions from SDN, from online, and from Cypress's posted questions. While I'm practicing answering out loud, I feel like I'm either vague or talking too much. I know they are trying to get an idea of who I am but boy am I nervous or what. :help:

Hang in there! In one year you will be sitting pretty remembering how stressful it was to interview 🙂 And staring a little dumbfounded at the insanity of the exam schedule for your second semester of your first year 🙂

Do everything you can on that day to breath deep and stay calm. BE CONFIDENT! Nerves are your worst enemy at this point 🙂

I had a pretty successful tactic to help stay calm for my interview although I don't recommend it. The day before my exam I was thrown from a horse - landed squarely on my ass and spent the rest of the day drugged up in front of the TV alternating between heat and ice. The next day I was in so much pain that it was basically my main focus - so that helped me to not stress too much 🙂

Again - I don't recommend this tactic 🙂

Be yourself! You will be great - getting to the interview is more than half the battle - they just want to get to know you - so let your personality shine through! There are no right or wrong answers

You'll do great!! Good luck!!!!
 
Honestly i thought Purdues interview was very laid back and everyone was very nice. Just remember to try and stay calm and breathe!
 
Good luck to everyone that will be here tomorrow for their interview!! You're going to do great!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to everyone that will be here tomorrow for their interview!! You're going to do great!!!

Thanks!! Both of the vets I work with are rooting for me to like Purdue and go there. (They both graduated from U of I and want me to get the heck out of Illinois :laugh: ). Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about 🙄
 
Was anyone else as impressed as I was yesterday? I really found myself believing in the family atmosphere and am very excited about A&I and the international opportunities. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's still far from a sure thing. Here's to hoping!!!

For everyone who is interviewing next Friday, I hope you're excited! And just so you know, the interview didn't feel to bad- the whole experience was just as much about you getting to know the school as it was about the school getting to know you.
 
Was anyone else as impressed as I was yesterday? I really found myself believing in the family atmosphere and am very excited about A&I and the international opportunities. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's still far from a sure thing. Here's to hoping!!!

For everyone who is interviewing next Friday, I hope you're excited! And just so you know, the interview didn't feel to bad- the whole experience was just as much about you getting to know the school as it was about the school getting to know you.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear your impressions! 🙂

We really do pride ourselves on the family atmosphere and love to hear the school was able to portray that to you while you were here. I know many of the interviewers are doing their best to make everyone comfortable and to give you the chance to "interview" the school as well.

A&I for sure is an amazing class! So I'm also glad you had a chance to check it out.

I left my interview thinking what a horrible teaser it was because it only made me want vet school even more 🙂 Luckily for me I received the amazing call from Dean Reed not too long after.

To everyone that hasn't interviewed - Good luck next week! You'll do great!!

As for the waiting period now - try to put it out of your mind and be confident that you have done all you can and relax and be proud! Getting interviews is a huge step towards vet school and is an accomplishment in its own right!

Also - most everyone I know received their calls from the dean on a weekend - so don't be surprised when you get a call from a 765 # on a weekend. I was getting ready for an awards banquet on a Sunday morning when I got my call, another friend was out to dinner at a bar when he got his, and calls were even made Sunday evening. He usually spreads the calls out over a couple days so if you see people posting here that they received a call and you didn't - don't worry 🙂

Congrats and good luck to all of you again!!

Looking forward to seeing you in Lynn Hall next year 🙂
 
I can't tell you how happy I am to hear your impressions! 🙂

We really do pride ourselves on the family atmosphere and love to hear the school was able to portray that to you while you were here. I know many of the interviewers are doing their best to make everyone comfortable and to give you the chance to "interview" the school as well.

A&I for sure is an amazing class! So I'm also glad you had a chance to check it out.

I left my interview thinking what a horrible teaser it was because it only made me want vet school even more 🙂 Luckily for me I received the amazing call from Dean Reed not too long after.

To everyone that hasn't interviewed - Good luck next week! You'll do great!!

As for the waiting period now - try to put it out of your mind and be confident that you have done all you can and relax and be proud! Getting interviews is a huge step towards vet school and is an accomplishment in its own right!

Also - most everyone I know received their calls from the dean on a weekend - so don't be surprised when you get a call from a 765 # on a weekend. I was getting ready for an awards banquet on a Sunday morning when I got my call, another friend was out to dinner at a bar when he got his, and calls were even made Sunday evening. He usually spreads the calls out over a couple days so if you see people posting here that they received a call and you didn't - don't worry 🙂

Congrats and good luck to all of you again!!

Looking forward to seeing you in Lynn Hall next year 🙂

I totally agree with the previous post about the interview. I felt very comfortable and boy am I glad to have been chosen for the interview. I don't want to give myself false hope but I am crossing my fingers that I receive good news. I usually don't use my phone on weekends so what if I happen to not pick up.. :[
 
I totally agree with the previous post about the interview. I felt very comfortable and boy am I glad to have been chosen for the interview. I don't want to give myself false hope but I am crossing my fingers that I receive good news. I usually don't use my phone on weekends so what if I happen to not pick up.. :[

He leaves messages 🙂

I missed the call originally - just missed it - saw it was a 765# and sat and started at my phone for a solid minute waiting for a voicemail to come through. One of the best days of my life - I was blessed that my mom and husband were with me when the call came through - after playing phone tag with the Dean for about 10 mins he finally got through to me - I have a fantastic picture my husband had the presence of mind to snap while I was on the phone with him.

Amazing! I wish that moment for all of you! Whether its Purdue or any school you are interviewing with. 🙂
 
I am interviewing Friday and was wondering if it is frowned upon to bring my boyfriend? I don't want to make the trip/drive alone and my parents are unable to come. He also wants to see what the town/school is like. Any thoughts?
 
A lot of people brought their significant others and/or parents with them when I went to my interview this past Friday, so I wouldn't worry about it - I'd go ahead and bring him!
 
I am interviewing Friday and was wondering if it is frowned upon to bring my boyfriend? I don't want to make the trip/drive alone and my parents are unable to come. He also wants to see what the town/school is like. Any thoughts?

I brought mine :] He seemed to have enjoyed it more than I.
 
I am interviewing Friday and was wondering if it is frowned upon to bring my boyfriend? I don't want to make the trip/drive alone and my parents are unable to come. He also wants to see what the town/school is like. Any thoughts?

I've brought my fiance to all my interviews (except Purdue, but that was only because we both attended undergrad here. He already knew what it was like, he didn't need to see it again!) So yes, bring your boyfriend! I've seen many others do the same also 🙂
 
I have my interview this Friday and I just had a few questions about the interview style. How many people interview you and is it open-file, closed-file, or both? I'm getting nervous but I'm really excited at the same time! I feel like Purdue might be a great fit for me so I'm excited to finally see the campus!
 
I have my interview this Friday and I just had a few questions about the interview style. How many people interview you and is it open-file, closed-file, or both? I'm getting nervous but I'm really excited at the same time! I feel like Purdue might be a great fit for me so I'm excited to finally see the campus!

You either have 2 or 3 interviewers (I think IS have 2 and OOS have 3?). The ad coms have seen your file, but the other interviewer has not. There were some general "Tell me about..." questions, and my interviewers weaved a couple of ethical questions into those. It was very laid-back with lots of laughing! They were really good about making me feel comfortable, so don't worry your nerves will go away 🙂 Purdue is a wonderful place, I hope you enjoy your visit! Good luck! :luck:
 
You either have 2 or 3 interviewers (I think IS have 2 and OOS have 3?). The ad coms have seen your file, but the other interviewer has not. There were some general "Tell me about..." questions, and my interviewers weaved a couple of ethical questions into those. It was very laid-back with lots of laughing! They were really good about making me feel comfortable, so don't worry your nerves will go away 🙂 Purdue is a wonderful place, I hope you enjoy your visit! Good luck! :luck:

Thank you so much for your reply! I always tell myself there is no need to get nervous beforehand but then I get there and I can barely remember to breath! Haha thank again!!!
 
You either have 2 or 3 interviewers (I think IS have 2 and OOS have 3?). The ad coms have seen your file, but the other interviewer has not. There were some general "Tell me about..." questions, and my interviewers weaved a couple of ethical questions into those. It was very laid-back with lots of laughing! They were really good about making me feel comfortable, so don't worry your nerves will go away 🙂 Purdue is a wonderful place, I hope you enjoy your visit! Good luck! :luck:

I second all of that 🙂

I had one interviewer that had my file and the other had never read it. So remember not to assume they know everything about you. Remember they just want to get to know you as a person and that the interview is about learning about the school itself as well as about them learning about you. They will make you feel comfortable and you will have a great time!

And yes - bring your boyfriend 🙂

Don't forget to come check out the classes too! We had people sitting in on our Immunology class and our A&I classes that afternoon. Great chance to meet current students.

Ask questions 🙂 We love to share our experiences!
 
Does anyone have any more insight on questions that could be asked this weekend? The interview feedback section has just a couple and I wanted to know what to expect! Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They asked lots of questions regarding my college life and work.. It was a fun interview so don't be worried about questions
 
For anyone whose already interviewed, how much of the tour is outdoors? Its going to be super cold (at least for my experience) and I want to be able to plan accordingly.

Also, would it look out of place to wear a nice skirt and a sweater set to the dinner? I don't really like wearing my suit any more than necessary.

thanks!
 
For anyone whose already interviewed, how much of the tour is outdoors? Its going to be super cold (at least for my experience) and I want to be able to plan accordingly.

Also, would it look out of place to wear a nice skirt and a sweater set to the dinner? I don't really like wearing my suit any more than necessary.

thanks!
The tour was all inside. Everything was inside Lynn Hall.
Everyone pretty much wore their suits for the banquet but I think a nice skirt and sweater would be fine.
 
The tour was all inside. Everything was inside Lynn Hall.
Everyone pretty much wore their suits for the banquet but I think a nice skirt and sweater would be fine.

I agree - sweater and skirt for the banquet would be perfectly fine.

And yes - its been very cold - but tour wise you'll be inside. The hospital and school are all connected and any of the outdoor stuff tends not to be part of the tour (barns where we have large animal handling labs and such). You should be good if you wear comfortable shoes for walking around and being on your feet.
 
Does anyone have any more insight on questions that could be asked this weekend? The interview feedback section has just a couple and I wanted to know what to expect! Thanks!

If you scroll back through this thread - I posted all the questions I could remember from my interview, plus questions my friend had, and a website that had a long list of questions.
 
Tell me about a time that you faced personal challenge and how you overcame it.
Tell me about a time that you faced a challenge in the workplace and how you overcame it.
How do you feel about terminal surgeries?
Have you ever seen someone act unethically in the workplace?
Tell me about your family.
Do you have any questions for us?
Besides the advantage of being in-state, tell us why you would want to attend Purdue University.
Where else did you apply?
What will you do if you don't get in this time? (My initial answer was "apply again" but they kept after this. I think they want to know some sort of concrete plans if you don't get in.)

So, why are you interested in veterinary medicine?
What would you do if you saw someone cheating?
What if that person reported you for cheating first?
What would you do if, while in practice, you saw someone violating the ethical code?
What do you do for fun?
Do you know how much money you will earn when starting out?
Do you know what kind of debt you will face?
What will you do if you don't get in this time?
What if you don't get in next time?
How do you feel about animals used in research?
What about dogs bred specifically for surgeries and to be euthanized and used as cadavers?
Have you had any incidents with PETA or animal rights activist groups in your laboratory?
What do you think is the difference between animal rights and animal welfare?
Tell me about a time when you dealt with conflict in a group.
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
What qualities do you have that would make you a good vet?
What would you say was your most rigorous class? Why?

What qualities do you think make a good vet?
Tell us about a time you over stepped your boundaries. (very weird question and I asked for clarification and didn't really get any - gave a VERY generic answer about doing too much at work)
Tell us about yourself.
Do you have any questions for us? (Prepare some questions)

http://web.wm.edu/so/prevet/purdue-interview.html
 
I have been a long time creeper on this forum, but I love it here and I think it's time to emerge. I am sitting in the hotel room too, but more nervous than excited!
 
also in a hotel room....paranoid i'll ignore my alarm in the morning!

and the snow tonight/tomorrow...0 experience driving in it, even a little...
 
also in a hotel room....paranoid i'll ignore my alarm in the morning!

and the snow tonight/tomorrow...0 experience driving in it, even a little...

I set the hotel alarms and multiple alarms on my phone! I have an afternoon interview though so I just want to wake up to go to the sessions (esp the equine one which is of course the first one). I'm used to the snow but it can be scary for people who have never driven in it. Please drive safely!

Good Luck to both of you and anyone else interviewing! And welcome, Cider :hello:
 
Good luck today everyone!!! You're going to do great!! Enjoy the experience and be confident - you've made it this far - just let them know who you are!!! 🙂
 
Haha hopefully I made a good impression becuase Purdue definitely made a good impression on me. I bet everyone who interviewed today did awesome, so good job guys! 🙂

Forgot to ask when we find out about decisions. Does anyone know? :X
 
Haha hopefully I made a good impression becuase Purdue definitely made a good impression on me. I bet everyone who interviewed today did awesome, so good job guys! 🙂

Forgot to ask when we find out about decisions. Does anyone know? :X

i think they said mid-february.
 
So happy to hear you had such a great day!
I'm sure you did wonderfully!

They tend to make acceptance calls over a 2-3 day period mid Feb. Wait list letters I'm not sure if those come via snail mail or email - but they go out after the phone calls are complete.

People begin getting pulled from the wait list following the deadline in April that people who are offered a seat have to accept. Those have been phone calls as well. There is a girl in my class that was pulled from the wait list in June.

Try and relax now - the hard part is done - just hang in there and know you've done all you can 🙂

Sending you all good luck vibes!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really enjoyed the whole process day! It was long, and I'm certainly tired, but I am more interested in Purdue than I thought I would be! My interview was awesome too. We were laughing the whole time and the questions were pretty easy and felt like a conversation. Can't wait to hear back now!