Purdue c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS, rejected

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just receive email interview invite for Jan 18th :D
good luck everyone

I got an invite as well :) Picked the 18th. Congrats to everyone!

Congrats everyone! Good luck on your interviews :)

Offered an interview!!! Picked my preference as the 18th, afternoon interview. 5 minute walk from my apartment :)

What time slots did you guys pick as your preference on the 18th?

Also, congrats to everyone else on their interview offers! Can't wait to hopefully meet some of you!

Offered an interview!!! Picked my preference as the 18th, afternoon interview. 5 minute walk from my apartment :)

I picked the afternoon slot too. Sounds like most people are choosing the 18th. Hopefully nobody gets bumped to the 25th and runs into a conflict with the VMRCVM interviews on the 25th/26th...

Afternoon as well! I'll be driving from U Illinois so I prefer to drive at a decent time in the morning, not at the crack of dawn :)

I picked the afternoon slot too. Sounds like most people are choosing the 18th. Hopefully nobody gets bumped to the 25th and runs into a conflict with the VMRCVM interviews on the 25th/26th...

This is a big concern for me. I wonder if it's possible to call and explain the situation if you are bumped to the 25th...

Congrats to everyone who received interview invites!! So exciting! Make sure to check out the interview forum - almost every question I was asked I was able to find through this forum and other places online. As silly as it sounds - practice answering the questions out loud from now until your interview. Come up with a basic "Tell me about yourself" answer to get the ball rolling (that was the first question I got)

Let me know if you have any questions about the interview process and my experience last year :)

To those of you that received rejections - let me just say as someone who has received more rejection letters than she would like to remember - hang in there - believe that your time will come with the right amount of hard work. Take the time to recover and be sad and upset - and in the next few months - get on the phone and get someone on the phone to give you some feedback about your application and get out there and kick some a**

As cheesy as this may sound - I am exactly where I am meant to be - and if I had gotten in on those first 2 tries I would have missed out on some really great things in my life.

I'm happy to answer questions about my experiences on how to improve for next cycle.

Happy end of the semester and happy holidays everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a vet student at Purdue? I just have some questions to ask you if you don't mind.

Congrats to everyone who received interview invites!! So exciting! Make sure to check out the interview forum - almost every question I was asked I was able to find through this forum and other places online. As silly as it sounds - practice answering the questions out loud from now until your interview. Come up with a basic "Tell me about yourself" answer to get the ball rolling (that was the first question I got)

Let me know if you have any questions about the interview process and my experience last year :)

To those of you that received rejections - let me just say as someone who has received more rejection letters than she would like to remember - hang in there - believe that your time will come with the right amount of hard work. Take the time to recover and be sad and upset - and in the next few months - get on the phone and get someone on the phone to give you some feedback about your application and get out there and kick some a**

As cheesy as this may sound - I am exactly where I am meant to be - and if I had gotten in on those first 2 tries I would have missed out on some really great things in my life.

I'm happy to answer questions about my experiences on how to improve for next cycle.

Haha, sorry I didn't read that you are a vet student. You mind if I ask you questions about Purdue?

Hey do you know how many students Purdue interviews?

Just looking at travel plans now... 90 min from the airport to the college?!! Welcome to the Midwest, good grief...

where you coming from?

Baltimore ("The City That Reads") .

Also, for any other people interviewing at Purdue OOS who are giving themselves stress ulcers over this whole process like I am, I have an encouraging statistic:

Last year out of 28 SDN'ers that were granted OOS interviews, at least 10 ended up getting into Purdue, and 27/28 ended up being accepted somewhere (not necessarily Purdue though). Niiice.

Wow, that is a lovely statistic. I'm going to be traveling from Blacksburg, VA myself. I read somewhere on the c/o 2016 forum that there is a limo/shuttle something that will take you from the airport to the college, I think.

Does Purdue require fall transcripts?

Wow, that is a lovely statistic. I'm going to be traveling from Blacksburg, VA myself. I read somewhere on the c/o 2016 forum that there is a limo/shuttle something that will take you from the airport to the college, I think.

Yep! It's called Lafayette Limo.

Hi all! Congrats to everyone that has received interview invitations; good luck! :luck:

I was wondering--from any current or prospective students--what's one of the biggest factors that is drawing you to Purdue? I received an interview invitation, but am thinking of declining the interview to save money. I have one acceptance at this point and am waiting to hear from my IS.

What do you all love about the school that maybe I'd be missing out on if I didn't at least give myself a chance to interview and visit. What are some unique qualities compared to other schools? :confused:

I've looked at the "factors choosing a school" thread which was helpful, but curious to hear any thoughts and opinions here too.

Got into Michigan State, so I'm retracting my interview to hopefully give someone else the spot. Good luck y'all!

Hey do you know how many students Purdue interviews?

I don't actually know how many they interview - I can't remember from last year and I'm having trouble finding the document that has the stats from pervious year applicant stats. I know they have ~800 applications a year and they have a class size of ~84. They take a larger proportion of OOS students than other schools - our class is ~50/50.

Also - to those of you interviewing - I highly recommend coming to the banquet that evening - its great food and you get the chance to meet and talk with a current student and faculty members during dinner. There are also speakers and a panel of students that give you lots of great information about the school. Purdue was always my top choice because I'm IS but after that banquet I was VERY excited about the prospect of going there.

Hi all! Congrats to everyone that has received interview invitations; good luck! :luck:

I was wondering--from any current or prospective students--what's one of the biggest factors that is drawing you to Purdue? I received an interview invitation, but am thinking of declining the interview to save money. I have one acceptance at this point and am waiting to hear from my IS.

What do you all love about the school that maybe I'd be missing out on if I didn't at least give myself a chance to interview and visit. What are some unique qualities compared to other schools? :confused:

I've looked at the "factors choosing a school" thread which was helpful, but curious to hear any thoughts and opinions here too.

Here are some of the things I really love about the school.

They have a strong focus on "family" and building relationships within your class and within the faculty. They do their best to take the focus off competition and promote working together as a team.

We get to touch animals :) We have a husbandry course the first year in which we learn handling and restraint for a variety of species. We take care of a group of dogs all year that help us learn all about dog handling, doing physical exams, basic procedure, etc. Apparently this is different from other schools. We have worked with cattle, horses, cats, dogs, and pigs. And I believe next semester we are adding sheep to the mix and expanding on what we've learned so far with the other species. We are given access to these different animals to practice and learning handling on our own outside of class as well.

There is a strong focus on creating educational opportunities outside of the classroom - we have lots of clubs you can get involved in to expand your learning. This is great for networking as well as getting exposure to different fields. I'm in the exotics, equine, diversity and business clubs. You have the opportunity to earn an additional certificate with the VBMA club (business club). Purdue also has a campus wide program called DiversiKey that is a program you can earn a certificate in that helps to get your ready for working in a many different working environments - this program was created by Purdue in response to employers letting the university know what qualities they want in new grads. The vet school has tailored this program to our schedule so we can easily complete this certificate as well.

We have a shelter medicine program - elective course and off campus learning experiences in your 4th year that focus on this. They have built strong relationships with a couple shelters in neighboring cities to give students this learning opportunity during 4th year rotations.

Study abroad opportunities are readily available for a variety of different specialties. There are a department that is there and ready to help you design your own program and the faculty is willing to reach out into their network to find someone pretty much anywhere in the world to help you get the study abroad experience you are looking for to further your career. I'm hoping to go to the Czech Republic this summer on a trip that is faculty lead - the focus is exotic and conservation medicine. I'm very excited! The hospital we are going to is one of the best in all of Europe.

Amazing faculty - I have only taken classes for 1 semester so far and I have been VERY impressed with our faculty so far. We have some amazing professors that are endlessly supportive of their students and make classes very fun.

Problem based learning class - we have a class call Applications and Integrations - it is one of the BEST class I've ever taken - you work in a group of 7- 8 students with a faculty tutor and you are presented with cases throughout the semester (8 total). They are presented in a way to facilitate learning how to process actual cases using the information we are learning in our other classes like Physiology, Anatomy, Neuroscience, and others. I have been told this is a unique feature of Purdue Vet Med and not all schools do this - I have found it to be one of the best ways to really teach us the big picture and not get bogged down in the drone of the basic sciences we have to take our first few semesters. Its a fun way to learn and you get to know faculty and fellow students really well.

Sorry for such a long post - I hope my take on this is helpful - please don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have.

I love Purdue and couldn't be happier there. I get the impression from my fellow classmates that this feeling is pretty widespread :)

Thank you so much! Yeah I am going to the banquet. I can't wait to meet the current students.
Thanks again and happy holiday's! !

So I am in the process of trying to book travel to Purdue from Florida and trying to figure out the best timings for everything. Is there anyone out there who can help? My interview is on the 25th at 12:30pm and I am trying my best to fly in the morning of and then leave after 5pm on the day of the interview if possible (I know its a rushed trip but I have to fly out again for another interview a couple of days after). If not, I was also looking into flying in on Thursday night. Can anyone give an accurate time estimate from the Indianapolis airport/how easy it is during traffic times to travel from Purdue there? I do not want to book tickets for the wrong times!

So I am in the process of trying to book travel to Purdue from Florida and trying to figure out the best timings for everything. Is there anyone out there who can help? My interview is on the 25th at 12:30pm and I am trying my best to fly in the morning of and then leave after 5pm on the day of the interview if possible (I know its a rushed trip but I have to fly out again for another interview a couple of days after). If not, I was also looking into flying in on Thursday night. Can anyone give an accurate time estimate from the Indianapolis airport/how easy it is during traffic times to travel from Purdue there? I do not want to book tickets for the wrong times!

How are you getting from the airport to Lafayette? Are you renting a car? Taking a shuttle? The trip from the airport to the vet school is roughly 1.5 hours - depending on traffic (could take up to 2 hours if traffic is slow). If you're taking the shuttle it may be a little slower than that - I would look to see what time the shuttle departs and arrives on campus to give you an idea of how long that will take.

Because Indiana weather is so unpredictable I would be careful not to schedule your arrival time too close to your interview time. Its impossible to know if you will have snow to deal with that may slow your ability to get to campus, and you don't want to miss your interview.

I do highly recommend sticking around for the banquet - although I understand time constraints - I learned the most about the school from this banquet and the talks given during it. If you want to get to know Purdue that's the best way to do so I believe.

Let me know if I can be of any other assistance - I know how hard it is to make travel plans to a place you've never been before.

How are you getting from the airport to Lafayette? Are you renting a car? Taking a shuttle? The trip from the airport to the vet school is roughly 1.5 hours - depending on traffic (could take up to 2 hours if traffic is slow). If you're taking the shuttle it may be a little slower than that - I would look to see what time the shuttle departs and arrives on campus to give you an idea of how long that will take.

Because Indiana weather is so unpredictable I would be careful not to schedule your arrival time too close to your interview time. Its impossible to know if you will have snow to deal with that may slow your ability to get to campus, and you don't want to miss your interview.

I-65 can get REALLY backed up, especially with all the construction going on right now, so a lot of the time it's a toss up on how long it will take. And as Cypress said, the weather is very unpredictable also, so be sure to allow plenty of time for both of these possibilities. Something that might take a little time off your trip if you're driving and traffic is giving you trouble...take I-65 then exit at SR-52 instead of at SR-26. You can by pass some traffic and not have to deal with (as much) Lafayette traffic. There are a couple of ways to go once you get on 52, so if you end up driving you can PM me for further directions...or Google would be more than happy to help too, I'm sure. :)

Here are some of the things I really love about the school.

They have a strong focus on "family" and building relationships within your class and within the faculty. They do their best to take the focus off competition and promote working together as a team.

We get to touch animals :) We have a husbandry course the first year in which we learn handling and restraint for a variety of species. We take care of a group of dogs all year that help us learn all about dog handling, doing physical exams, basic procedure, etc. Apparently this is different from other schools. We have worked with cattle, horses, cats, dogs, and pigs. And I believe next semester we are adding sheep to the mix and expanding on what we've learned so far with the other species. We are given access to these different animals to practice and learning handling on our own outside of class as well.

There is a strong focus on creating educational opportunities outside of the classroom - we have lots of clubs you can get involved in to expand your learning. This is great for networking as well as getting exposure to different fields. I'm in the exotics, equine, diversity and business clubs. You have the opportunity to earn an additional certificate with the VBMA club (business club). Purdue also has a campus wide program called DiversiKey that is a program you can earn a certificate in that helps to get your ready for working in a many different working environments - this program was created by Purdue in response to employers letting the university know what qualities they want in new grads. The vet school has tailored this program to our schedule so we can easily complete this certificate as well.

We have a shelter medicine program - elective course and off campus learning experiences in your 4th year that focus on this. They have built strong relationships with a couple shelters in neighboring cities to give students this learning opportunity during 4th year rotations.

Study abroad opportunities are readily available for a variety of different specialties. There are a department that is there and ready to help you design your own program and the faculty is willing to reach out into their network to find someone pretty much anywhere in the world to help you get the study abroad experience you are looking for to further your career. I'm hoping to go to the Czech Republic this summer on a trip that is faculty lead - the focus is exotic and conservation medicine. I'm very excited! The hospital we are going to is one of the best in all of Europe.

Amazing faculty - I have only taken classes for 1 semester so far and I have been VERY impressed with our faculty so far. We have some amazing professors that are endlessly supportive of their students and make classes very fun.

Problem based learning class - we have a class call Applications and Integrations - it is one of the BEST class I've ever taken - you work in a group of 7- 8 students with a faculty tutor and you are presented with cases throughout the semester (8 total). They are presented in a way to facilitate learning how to process actual cases using the information we are learning in our other classes like Physiology, Anatomy, Neuroscience, and others. I have been told this is a unique feature of Purdue Vet Med and not all schools do this - I have found it to be one of the best ways to really teach us the big picture and not get bogged down in the drone of the basic sciences we have to take our first few semesters. Its a fun way to learn and you get to know faculty and fellow students really well.

Sorry for such a long post - I hope my take on this is helpful - please don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have.

I love Purdue and couldn't be happier there. I get the impression from my fellow classmates that this feeling is pretty widespread :)

Hi Cypress! Thanks for the thoughtful feedback! This whole process is so nervewracking, but exciting and it's so great to hear all the positives! I actually had to decide before you posted :confused: It was a tough decision, but I decided to decline the invitation. I just wasn't sure, and as an OOS, I figured that maybe someone else that really has their heart set on Purdue will have the opportunity to interview and visit the school.

Thanks again for your help, and good luck to everyone interviewing in the weeks ahead!

I-65 can get REALLY backed up, especially with all the construction going on right now, so a lot of the time it's a toss up on how long it will take. And as Cypress said, the weather is very unpredictable also, so be sure to allow plenty of time for both of these possibilities. Something that might take a little time off your trip if you're driving and traffic is giving you trouble...take I-65 then exit at SR-52 instead of at SR-26. You can by pass some traffic and not have to deal with (as much) Lafayette traffic. There are a couple of ways to go once you get on 52, so if you end up driving you can PM me for further directions...or Google would be more than happy to help too, I'm sure. :)

My husband commutes to Purdue from Indianapolis several days a week for his PhD classes - he takes 65N to 52 and that helps a TON on cutting out some traffic - his commute is typically between 1.5 - 2 hours depending on the time of day.

Hope our input helps with your plan making - you can shot me PM as well for any additional information or directions.

Hi Cypress! Thanks for the thoughtful feedback! This whole process is so nervewracking, but exciting and it's so great to hear all the positives! I actually had to decide before you posted :confused: It was a tough decision, but I decided to decline the invitation. I just wasn't sure, and as an OOS, I figured that maybe someone else that really has their heart set on Purdue will have the opportunity to interview and visit the school.

Thanks again for your help, and good luck to everyone interviewing in the weeks ahead!

Good luck with your other interviews!!!

Cleaning out email box and found some notes from people about interview questions.

Tell me about a time that you faced personal challenge and how you overcame it.
Tell me about a time that you faced a challenge in the workplace and how you overcame it.
How do you feel about terminal surgeries?
Have you ever seen someone act unethically in the workplace?
Tell me about your family.
Do you have any questions for us?
Besides the advantage of being in-state, tell us why you would want to attend Purdue University.
Where else did you apply?
What will you do if you don't get in this time? (My initial answer was "apply again" but they kept after this. I think they want to know some sort of concrete plans if you don't get in.)

So, why are you interested in veterinary medicine?
What would you do if you saw someone cheating?
What if that person reported you for cheating first?
What would you do if, while in practice, you saw someone violating the ethical code?
What do you do for fun?
Do you know how much money you will earn when starting out?
Do you know what kind of debt you will face?
What will you do if you don't get in this time?
What if you don't get in next time?
How do you feel about animals used in research?
What about dogs bred specifically for surgeries and to be euthanized and used as cadavers?
Have you had any incidents with PETA or animal rights activist groups in your laboratory?
What do you think is the difference between animal rights and animal welfare?
Tell me about a time when you dealt with conflict in a group.
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
What qualities do you have that would make you a good vet?
What would you say was your most rigorous class? Why?

What qualities do you think make a good vet?
Tell us about a time you over stepped your boundaries. (very weird question and I asked for clarification and didn't really get any - gave a VERY generic answer about doing too much at work)
Tell us about yourself.
Do you have any questions for us? (Prepare some questions)

I will tell you last year both weekends of interviews there was bad weather. I came in the night before to make sure that i did not miss my interview. I do know someone arrive late due to weather and they let them interview at the end of the day though.

I don't actually know how many they interview - I can't remember from last year and I'm having trouble finding the document that has the stats from pervious year applicant stats. I know they have ~800 applications a year and they have a class size of ~84. They take a larger proportion of OOS students than other schools - our class is ~50/50.

Also - to those of you interviewing - I highly recommend coming to the banquet that evening - its great food and you get the chance to meet and talk with a current student and faculty members during dinner. There are also speakers and a panel of students that give you lots of great information about the school. Purdue was always my top choice because I'm IS but after that banquet I was VERY excited about the prospect of going there.
Last year they had over 900 applications and offered interviews to just over 300.

Hi there, I know there's interview questions online and on SDN and even on this forums but other than reviewing these questions, what would you advise I do to prepare for the upcoming interview? Attire? Pen & notepad? What else to review? ETC..?

Hi there, I know there's interview questions online and on SDN and even on this forums but other than reviewing these questions, what would you advise I do to prepare for the upcoming interview? Attire? Pen & notepad? What else to review? ETC..?

Review the curriculum and the classes you would be taking. Browse the website and familiarize yourself what the university has to offer. I read mission statement stuff as well just to understand what the university placed importance on. I also came up with several questions to ask the interviewers during my interview - I took a tiny notebook that fit in my pocket that had the questions written down already.

I wore a suit - this is what I saw most people in - business attire for sure - but you also want to be comfortable in what you're wearing.

Don't just review the questions - practice answering them out loud - in the car alone - to someone you love who can give you feedback.

Review your personal statement and your grades so you can quickly answer any questions about yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Good luck with your prep! :)

Hello! I was looking into booking my hotel for my upcoming interview on the 25th. I was wondering, is it a big deal to stay at a hotel other than the ones they have listed? I found a few that are about half the price... I am driving straight from my school to Purdue so I will have transportation. Is there enough visitor parking on campus so that I won't have to worry about finding a place to park?

Thanks in advance!

Hello! I was looking into booking my hotel for my upcoming interview on the 25th. I was wondering, is it a big deal to stay at a hotel other than the ones they have listed? I found a few that are about half the price... I am driving straight from my school to Purdue so I will have transportation. Is there enough visitor parking on campus so that I won't have to worry about finding a place to park?

Thanks in advance!

Yes there is visitor parking - I honestly don't know if you have to pay for it - if you do it's not terribly expensive. Its not too far of a walk from the visitor parking garage to the vet school. I would go with what is cheapest and easiest for you :)

http://www.purdue.edu/visit/navigating/parking.php

Grant Street Parking garage - on the map that is linked to in the above website.
You then walk to LYNN hall

Yes there is visitor parking - I honestly don't know if you have to pay for it - if you do it's not terribly expensive. Its not too far of a walk from the visitor parking garage to the vet school. I would go with what is cheapest and easiest for you :)

http://www.purdue.edu/visit/navigating/parking.php

Grant Street Parking garage - on the map that is linked to in the above website.
You then walk to LYNN hall

Thanks! And Lynn is my middle name so that will be hard to forget! :)

Links below to some information that can help prepare for interviews.
When i mentioned earlier that you should prepare a few questions - I would prepare however many you come up with while you prepare and during your interview day. Then just gage your interviewers for how many of them you should ask and which you should ask.

I only asked 3:
What do you find to be some of Purdue's strengths?
Is there was any potential for student research opportunities in behavior? (I had an interest in behavior at the time)
I am interested in exotic pets - what kind of opportunities are there for these types of species and which track is best for this field of interest?

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/dvm/files/documents/10-factsheet.pdf

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/dvm/files/documents/plan_of_study3-02.pdf

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/dvm/index.php