Purdue C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My fiance and I ended up renting an apartment that is above a dental clinic that is about a 5 minute drive across the river from the vet school. It was a listing I found on boilerapartments.com, and the timing worked out well where he could visit the apartment and we both liked it, and rent was super reasonable. So I would just keep an eye out for off-the-wall listings on their site and visit them if you can. New listings pop up all the time.
Another place we considered were Winfield Farms apartments and he visited those as well. Those were nice too, but the rental we went with was slightly cheaper. But I would recommend looking there, it seemed like a nice quiet area with washer/drier in unit, and their pet fee was reasonable (I think it was $25/month).
Good luck to you @bjeh !

Winfield is reasonable and it is great that they have washers and dryers in their units. Just as a warning, however, management is very difficult to get in contact with and getting anything fixed is like pulling teeth. It's a great place to live if nothing ever breaks but anytime we need management it's a stressful few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a certain date that we need to accept student loans by? I'm trying to figure out budgets and things. I don't think I'll take the full amount, but it's divided into two semesters right? So that I can give back whatever I didn't use?

Is there a certain date that we need to accept student loans by? I'm trying to figure out budgets and things. I don't think I'll take the full amount, but it's divided into two semesters right? So that I can give back whatever I didn't use?

Not sure when you need to accept by but yes you do receive one lump sum in the fall and one in the spring. If you realize you've taken out too much for a semester you get a certain amount of time (a week or two I believe?) during which you can return the money and not owe any interest on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure when you need to accept by but yes you do receive one lump sum in the fall and one in the spring. If you realize you've taken out too much for a semester you get a certain amount of time (a week or two I believe?) during which you can return the money and not owe any interest on it.

Thank you! I also had one other question. How important is it to follow the COA they provide to us? Should I budget the 3000+ they have for books/supplies and $1470 for miscellaneous?

Thank you! I also had one other question. How important is it to follow the COA they provide to us? Should I budget the 3000+ they have for books/supplies and $1470 for miscellaneous?

I think the books/supply is only that high because of the Lenovo tablet you'll buy this summer. Many of my classmates and I didn't buy books (or maybe only bought one) so I would only plan on keeping $100 at most for books. As far as miscellaneous goes I would just suggest instead of just taking it, try to make a budget for how much you think you'll need for fall semester and just take out that much +$100-$200 for wiggle room.

Hi everyone! I am trying to fill out some of the required forms on our class website. Has anyone filled out the "Profile Information" online form?? I don't know what that is or how to answer the question "I would like to have the following used as my profile statement."

Hi everyone! I am trying to fill out some of the required forms on our class website. Has anyone filled out the "Profile Information" online form?? I don't know what that is or how to answer the question "I would like to have the following used as my profile statement."
Hi! I answered by saying where I was from and some experiences I had in college (clubs and work experience). I also stated what type of vet I want to be.

Has anyone on here purchased the C parking permit yet? It's only letting me purchase a visitor permit, not sure if it's just me or if it's too early or something.

Has anyone on here purchased the C parking permit yet? It's only letting me purchase a visitor permit, not sure if it's just me or if it's too early or something.

I think it's too early. The one I have now is good until like mid August of this year (bought it last year in August) so they are usually available to buy shortly before school starts.

I think it's too early. The one I have now is good until like mid August of this year (bought it last year in August) so they are usually available to buy shortly before school starts.
Ok thanks! I thought that might be the case but I'm trying to get as much done now before I'm busy with all the moving stuff.

Ok thanks! I thought that might be the case but I'm trying to get as much done now before I'm busy with all the moving stuff.

No problem. I would just check online periodically... I know when buying it at the parking facilities, it's shortly before school starts but it may be different online. I've never bought the pass online before. Can't wait for the fall!!

Hi all!
Very excited to meet everyone in the fall. Does anybody know how we can apply for food representative positions (hills, purina)? Are these available to 1st years? When/how can we apply?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I know it's early, but I need to know for packing reasons. What are you all wearing during orientation (or if there are current students lurking what did you wear)? I see we need to wear a nice shirt for the first day, but how nice do we need to dress the other days?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on wearing polos and khaki shorts with tennis shoes for walking.

I was gonna ask Someone the first day about t shirts and such... especially for the challenge thing.

So I know it's early, but I need to know for packing reasons. What are you all wearing during orientation (or if there are current students lurking what did you wear)? I see we need to wear a nice shirt for the first day, but how nice do we need to dress the other days?
The first day I have a nice blouse and capris with good walking shoes. Reading the dress code, it sounds like we can wear pretty much anything as long as it's not too revealing and in good condition.

Anyone know what or if we need to bring anything to the first day of orientation (locker locks, computer)?

Reactions: 1 users
The first day I have a nice blouse and capris with good walking shoes. Reading the dress code, it sounds like we can wear pretty much anything as long as it's not too revealing and in good condition.

Anyone know what or if we need to bring anything to the first day of orientation (locker locks, computer)?

I was wondering the same thing today.. especially since we are getting our locker assignments day 1. I may ask my Big.

I was wondering the same thing today.. especially since we are getting our locker assignments day 1. I may ask my Big.

Oh my gosh I completely forgot I had a Big I could ask stuff. :smack: Haha thanks for the reminder!

Where the Purdue class of 2022 thread at? I need more threads to stalk

Haha seriously. The Purdue class of 2022 needs to be more enthusiastic.

Hey guys we only have a little over two days left before it all begins :eek: (and by "guys" I guess I mean cheat and goose since I don't think anyone else from our class is on here...)

Last edited:
Hey guys we only have a little over two days left before it all begins :eek: (and by "guys" I guess I mean cheat and goose since I don't think anyone else from our class is on here...)
so crazy! I can't believe summer's over already :( I'm definitely excited for orientation though!

so crazy! I can't believe summer's over already :( I'm definitely excited for orientation though!
Yeah I feel the same way. Just hoping to enjoy the last couple of days of freedom haha

I am still on here! I just lack anything interesting to say. :)

Reactions: 2 users
How has your moving in been? Have any of you been able to explore West Lala much?

How has your moving in been? Have any of you been able to explore West Lala much?
Hopefully the movers are coming with our stuff today. I haven't been out too much since I haven't had a ton of free time. I'm hoping over orientation week I'll get out a little more.

I moved up in June, so I have had quite a bit of time. So far I have explored a few of the parks (HappyHollow, Celery, Tapawingo), the little zoo, and was able to volunteer a little with the humane society. This place has the best trail and park system!

Would anyone be able to help me with a quick question. For the Pre-Reqs, purdue wants a communications class, which can persuasion. Has anyone used Eng. Comp II to meet this pre-req?

Would anyone be able to help me with a quick question. For the Pre-Reqs, purdue wants a communications class, which can persuasion. Has anyone used Eng. Comp II to meet this pre-req?
I'm not 100% sure but I believe they want a speech class for communications. You can email admissions to be sure, but I don't know if simply writing will cut it.

Is there a Purdue class of 2022 thread? I moved in to Indiana early August to get the in-state residency. I am also applying this year to Purdue so I am kind of looking for a thread. I haven't found one yet, so I've been stalking this one for a while. :laugh:

I'm not 100% sure but I believe they want a speech class for communications. You can email admissions to be sure, but I don't know if simply writing will cut it.

Hey thanks for the response. I took a look at their website and it says that if you get a BS they'll assume communications was met, and for my school's catalog; English 2 is used to fulfill a written communications class.

I applied this cycle and obviously do not know if I will be invited for an interview, but if I am offered an interview, I am trying to make the most out of the trip. Outside of being accepted to the school, what about the area, town culture, etc, contributed to your decision to attend? Are there any places or activities you would recommend visiting to get a better picture of life outside of vet school? (A mythical concept).

For instance, I will have my 2 cats and most likely my dog (he may stay with my family for the first semester so I can adjust to a move oos). What kind of trails or hiking opportunities are there? Is it challenging to find housing for 3 pets (one of them a 75+ pound GSD, who is a love ball).

I may not get an interview but I found out that two of the schools I applied to will have interview weekends overlapping, and I am not sure how long you have to accept an invitation, therefore I am trying to weigh options that would make it easier to choose.

I applied this cycle and obviously do not know if I will be invited for an interview, but if I am offered an interview, I am trying to make the most out of the trip. Outside of being accepted to the school, what about the area, town culture, etc, contributed to your decision to attend? Are there any places or activities you would recommend visiting to get a better picture of life outside of vet school? (A mythical concept).

For instance, I will have my 2 cats and most likely my dog (he may stay with my family for the first semester so I can adjust to a move oos). What kind of trails or hiking opportunities are there? Is it challenging to find housing for 3 pets (one of them a 75+ pound GSD, who is a love ball).

I may not get an interview but I found out that two of the schools I applied to will have interview weekends overlapping, and I am not sure how long you have to accept an invitation, therefore I am trying to weigh options that would make it easier to choose.

I love the area. You have West Lafayette (where Purdue is) and then Lafayette. It's more of a small town feel. Chicago and Indy are relatively close by (whithin a couple hours driving) if you wanted a big city feel. There are lots of bars and cool places to eat around campus. There is a mall in Lafayette and most stores are pretty close to campus (Walmart, Meijer). Purdue itself is a pretty big campus that is diverse (I went here for undergrad), but as a vet student I don't spend much time on campus at all really.

It's pretty pet friendly I would say. There are some dog daycares and a park close by. I live in an apartment where there are lots of hiking trails nearby. You can drive 15 minutes to some larger parks such as Prophetstown state park and Happy Hollow if you wanted to look them up. It might be a little difficult to find housing in a complex. Mine has a weight limit and breed ban, but not all apartments or housing is like that. I have several classmates with pets and none have really had any trouble. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions.

I love the area. You have West Lafayette (where Purdue is) and then Lafayette. It's more of a small town feel. Chicago and Indy are relatively close by (whithin a couple hours driving) if you wanted a big city feel. There are lots of bars and cool places to eat around campus. There is a mall in Lafayette and most stores are pretty close to campus (Walmart, Meijer). Purdue itself is a pretty big campus that is diverse (I went here for undergrad), but as a vet student I don't spend much time on campus at all really.

It's pretty pet friendly I would say. There are some dog daycares and a park close by. I live in an apartment where there are lots of hiking trails nearby. You can drive 15 minutes to some larger parks such as Prophetstown state park and Happy Hollow if you wanted to look them up. It might be a little difficult to find housing in a complex. Mine has a weight limit and breed ban, but not all apartments or housing is like that. I have several classmates with pets and none have really had any trouble. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions.
Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information! I like how it has reasonable access to bigger cities but doesn't seem to have as much chaos of a very urban location. I am so happy to hear about the hiking opportunities and thank you for the information on the parks. Are there single home rentals available? Or is the rental market agreeable to renting from vet students out there? I know where I currently attend graduate school, some single family rentals will not rent to graduate or vet students. I haven't been invited to interview... so, I know these questions are maybe pre-mature or silly but I am trying to be as logical about my decisions as possible.

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information! I like how it has reasonable access to bigger cities but doesn't seem to have as much chaos of a very urban location. I am so happy to hear about the hiking opportunities and thank you for the information on the parks. Are there single home rentals available? Or is the rental market agreeable to renting from vet students out there? I know where I currently attend graduate school, some single family rentals will not rent to graduate or vet students. I haven't been invited to interview... so, I know these questions are maybe pre-mature or silly but I am trying to be as logical about my decisions as possible.

You're fine... ask away! Yes there are single home rentals available. I am currently looking for one, but it's too early still. I haven't run into any home rentals that won't rent to me because I'm a vet student.