Purdue C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! New to the site, but have decided to attend Purdue as part of the class of 2021 and I'm excited to meet future classmates! Are there any current students that wouldn't mind me asking a bunch of questions about supplies, housing, etc? OOS here, would greatly appreciate any help offered. :)

I am a current first-year. Ask away haha

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a prospective OOS student as well!! I'm currently trying to choose which school to attend. I would love to hear any current student's pros and cons about the school. :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm a prospective OOS student as well!! I'm currently trying to choose which school to attend. I would love to hear any current student's pros and cons about the school. :) :)

Pros:
-small class size = I know everyone personally (some might see that as a con) but i love it. its like a big 84 person family
-friendly professors = I like the majority of my professors and have great relationships with them as in they know more than just my name. They like to get involved outside just lecturing like running in vet med 5ks or hosting cultural food event at their house. I think its great and many of them are so friendly.
-animal interaction = At purdue, you get more animal experience in one semester than some vet schools get in 3 years before clinicals. I couldnt even imagine not touching a cow or horse before clinicals :O
-teaching animals = I love all of them. Most of the cows and horse we do physicals on and learn husbandry with are really great and pretty patient.
-they take care of us = for the most part, the faculty and administration care about our wellbeing. we have wellness wednesdays and they just got us 3 brand new fridges to put our lunches in. they do care haha

Cons:
-not much wildlife/exotics = Purdue is great if you want to be a large or small animal vet but there is not much in the way of learning about wildlife or exotics. There are a few classes, lectures, and clubs to help but nothing compared to other schools. But still worth it for me (who wants to be a wildlife vet) to come here cause its still important to learn the basics
-some drama and cliques = its not surprising that with a small class size there can be some drama and cliques but with my class, there really isnt any of that. I know some previous class had some issues but not always and its not usually a problem anyways so I wouldn't let that bother you

Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current first-year. Ask away haha

Thanks so much!

In terms of supplies, equipment, books, etc -- do you find that the school usually requires you to buy specific items (like a particular kind of microscope) or is it okay to bring what you already have and use it? I know you have to get the laptop through the school, but are there any other pricier pieces of equipment that need to be bought or rented from them specifically?

As for housing -- I have a rather destructive (but still lovable) cat that I'll be bringing with me, so I'm looking for either a studio or 1 bedroom in a safe area nearby so that he doesn't have to terrorize any roommates. Are there any particular areas near the school you'd recommend avoiding, or is it all safe to live in? Would visiting in June to scope out potential apartments be too late?

Thanks so much!

In terms of supplies, equipment, books, etc -- do you find that the school usually requires you to buy specific items (like a particular kind of microscope) or is it okay to bring what you already have and use it? I know you have to get the laptop through the school, but are there any other pricier pieces of equipment that need to be bought or rented from them specifically?

As for housing -- I have a rather destructive (but still lovable) cat that I'll be bringing with me, so I'm looking for either a studio or 1 bedroom in a safe area nearby so that he doesn't have to terrorize any roommates. Are there any particular areas near the school you'd recommend avoiding, or is it all safe to live in? Would visiting in June to scope out potential apartments be too late?

We didn't have to buy a microscope, they provided them for use (not to keep forever). I bought my dissection kit/gloves/blades/etc through them because they said if you didn't buy the right stuff, you would have to end up buying the right one anyway so I just bought it through them cause I didn't know where else to get it. A lot of people had fancier dissection kits that they used instead. A lot of people buy gloves or blades (when they run out) from other places. I still buy from the vet school bookstore because any profit they make goes back to us (we got three new fridges from them ....) so I dont mind if they are a little more expensive than amazon.

As for books, most of them were provided in pdf format for free so people only bought textbooks first semester if they wanted a hard copy. Second semester, we had one or two required books we needed to buy.

Coveralls and anatomy smocks have to be bought through the vet school bookstore.

We are currently working on an apartment guide with suggestions on where to rent. I have friends who live at Launch and they are pet friendly, close to campus, and have reasonably priced studios/1 bedrooms. Might want to look there. Typically by June some places might start to run out of some types of apartments but its still doable to find a place.

Reactions: 2 users
@<3Ivy<3 Do you remember how much the books for second semester, dissection kit, coveralls and anatomy smocks cost? I'm just wanting to take the least amount of loans out possible and wanted to start budgeting for certain things. Thanks!

@<3Ivy<3 Do you remember how much the books for second semester, dissection kit, coveralls and anatomy smocks cost? I'm just wanting to take the least amount of loans out possible and wanted to start budgeting for certain things. Thanks!

Oh goodness, I have no idea. I know I kept the receipt somewhere so when I find it, ill let you know!
Also for this semester I spent around a 100 on just the textbooks but the immuno one wasnt actually required.

I thought all new vet students had to get the rabies vaccination. I've know a couple of people who have gone to vet school and they did. I don't see it listed on the immunization requirement for Purdue though.

I thought all new vet students had to get the rabies vaccination. I've know a couple of people who have gone to vet school and they did. I don't see it listed on the immunization requirement for Purdue though.

Yes you have to be vaccinated against rabies. Are the requirements you are looking at for Purdue in general. All purdue students have to have some basic vaccinations where as vet school students have additional ones

Yes you have to be vaccinated against rabies. Are the requirements you are looking at for Purdue in general. All purdue students have to have some basic vaccinations where as vet school students have additional ones
Does Purdue offer vaccination clinics or are you expected to get all vx prior to orientation?

Yeah I might have been looking at the general stuff. Thank you

Does Purdue offer vaccination clinics or are you expected to get all vx prior to orientation?

We could get rabies vaccines and I believe a TB test through the vet school. We would get them before class.

Also rabies shots aren't as bad as you think haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any Purdue students on here that are veterans?

Does anyone know if there will be a off-campus spring housing fair this year? Or perhaps when the best time would be to go look at apartments?

Does anyone know if there will be a off-campus spring housing fair this year? Or perhaps when the best time would be to go look at apartments?

The housing fair this year is on April 6th. They usually have a very large tent with all the apartments inside to get information from, as well as a lot of free stuff! I'd say that weekend would be the best to look at apartments because the vet school open house is the 8th!

Reactions: 1 users
We could get rabies vaccines and I believe a TB test through the vet school. We would get them before class.

Also rabies shots aren't as bad as you think haha
Do you know how much that'll cost?

Do you know how much that'll cost?

It was around 900$ but sometimes you can get your insurance to pay for it which is what I did I believe. I also think the vet school can help you get coverage from insurance if they deny your claim. Its like a letter saying how important it is for us to be covered but Im not entirely sure.

Last edited:
OOS most likely going to be attending Purdue this upcoming year! Has anyone received their financial aid information yet? Purdue is one of the cheapest schools I've been admitted to (which is nice because I really liked the campus/atmosphere/etc.), but it's still a lot. Does anyone know whether or not more financial aid/compensation can be applied for once we hear back from the FAFSA/general scholarship information?

Will anyone else be spending their summer in or around Purdue? I'd like to get to know the area before I start going to school and may lack the time to do so. I've been looking at Purdue research professors to potentially assist with see a ton of really good ecology/conservation work that looks cool.

OOS most likely going to be attending Purdue this upcoming year! Has anyone received their financial aid information yet? Purdue is one of the cheapest schools I've been admitted to (which is nice because I really liked the campus/atmosphere/etc.), but it's still a lot. Does anyone know whether or not more financial aid/compensation can be applied for once we hear back from the FAFSA/general scholarship information?

Will anyone else be spending their summer in or around Purdue? I'd like to get to know the area before I start going to school and may lack the time to do so. I've been looking at Purdue research professors to potentially assist with see a ton of really good ecology/conservation work that looks cool.

Hi. Yes, I have received financial aid information. I received $4700 in scholarships/grants and was quoted the rest as a federal unsubsidized loan. Once we hear back from FASFA, I'm not sure. There might be other scholarships? I will more than likely be spending my summer here. Waiting to hear back about a lab animal tech position, and meeting with someone about doing blood brain barrier cancer research. Pm me if you have any questions about the area or apartments or anything. The professors are extremely helpful here, so I'm sure you won't have problems finding someone! Just email them giving a background of who you are and where your interests lie.

Hello! I am also OOS and will also be attending Purdue in the Fall. I found out my financial aid info after setting up my Purdue account and paying my deposit, but they also sent me a letter in the mail toward the end of February. I received $6500 for the year from grants/scholarships, some from the Purdue Loan, and the rest were Federal Loans.

I will also be around for the summer, I am getting married in May and we will be moving to the area shortly after!

Hey future classmates! I'm officially heading to Purdue in the Fall! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody know if first-years are required to purchase a stethoscope during the first year? Trying to plan out expenses.

Anybody know if first-years are required to purchase a stethoscope during the first year? Trying to plan out expenses.

I believe that first years have a stethoscope dinner in September. The Indiana Veterinary Medical Association holds the dinner where first year students are provided a stethoscope from Patterson Veterinary Supply!

Does anybody know if lectures are recorded for later reference? Thanks!

Does anybody know if lectures are recorded for later reference? Thanks!

Most are. Some use it because they don't pay attention in lecture. I wouldn't recommend that as occasionally they don't record. A lot of us rely on them to go back for stuff we missed or to review. Its nice because you can speed up or slow down the recording

Hi everyone! I was waitlisted at Purdue IS so for now will be attending Mizzou unless I get off the waitlist! Does anyone know much about the admissions process? I was told by a few people that Purdue initially over-accepts way more OOS than IS, and then once all of the OOS positions are filled they reach out to the rest of the IS applicants who are given spots (I was told that they only reach out to their first 20 IS and then call the next 20 after the deadline). Is this true? Or does anyone have more information? Thanks everyone and congrats on Purdue!!!

Hi sorry to keep asking so many questions but I'm OOS and I received a $6500 scholarship for freshman year. It is the 'Veterinary Medicine Gen Schl' and the 'Mary Elinor Davis Schl'. For the general scholarship, it says that the scholarship is 'non-renewable' but in order for me to get the same scholarship all four years I would need to fill out the FAFSA and demonstrate the same financial need. Anybody know if these are one time scholarships or something I can get every year!? Help!!!

Any updates, my waitlisted friends?

IS waitlist, last week they emailed to say that they would start calling 4/17. I haven't heard anything yet but I wasn't really expecting them to call that soon after the deadline!

Just got the email that the class of 2021 is full and they won't be making any more offers... see y'all next year!

sorry to hear! :( Seems like their class filled really fast this year, and they had a lot of applicants (more than last year). Keep your heads held high, there's always next year. Best of luck to both of you.

I got to email too, and it is definitely disappointing. So does this mean we don't have a chance at all or is it just even smaller now but still a chance if people back out over the summer?

Also just saw this email :( at least I got in somewhere, just sad I won't be paying in state tuition!

I got to email too, and it is definitely disappointing. So does this mean we don't have a chance at all or is it just even smaller now but still a chance if people back out over the summer?
There is always a chance (probably small....), especially if someone who accepted then later in the summer declines their seat to go to another school or for whatever other reason.

There is always a chance (probably small....), especially if someone who accepted then later in the summer declines their seat to go to another school or for whatever other reason.

Okay that's what I figured. I'm still trying to have a little hope, even though I know I definitely should not count on it. The email made it seem like we would never have a chance but I'm still hoping by some miracle that it's possible this year.

holy cow there is a lot of info on the class of 2021 page. I'm glad they sent it out early and made the deadlines clear, didn't realize there is so much we need to do!

Lol same! Do you know the specific model of computer we need to get? It just says Lenovo Yoga.. will they send out the specifics for it you think? I definitely want to get the right one

Lol same! Do you know the specific model of computer we need to get? It just says Lenovo Yoga.. will they send out the specifics for it you think? I definitely want to get the right one
I'm thinking they will send out more information at some point. Whenever I click on the page for laptops it says 'not found'. So I think they will give more info closer to orientation?

@amgoose319 Yes that's what I found too. We have to buy it before July 14 so more info will probably be given out. Can't wait to meet you and everyone else. The insider's guide is very helpful and has a lot of info. I am excited!!!

I'm excited they sent out that apartment guide. I guess this means I really need to sit down and check dates and everything.

I'm excited they sent out that apartment guide. I guess this means I really need to sit down and check dates and everything.
I know, they posted all the deadlines and I'm like I def need to put this in my google cal, but not gonna happen until after graduation haha. One school at a time!

Good luck apartment hunting!

If you guys have any questions please feel free to PM me! I'm a female 2nd year IS student

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So I've been looking over the Purdue suggested places to live list. My husband and I are looking at one bedroom apartments that are about 15-20 min away from the vet building. All of the apartments I've been looking at look like they are very student friendly and they assume that their new tenants will be Purdue students. So as a nontraditional, married student I'm worried we'll move into one of these complexes and it's going to be like moving into a dorm. I want to be close to the vet building but I also don't want to live in a building that is full of partying college students if that makes sense. What are you guys' thoughts on this? @amgoose319 I'm not sure we're your at in the process, but do you have any recommendations?

I am moving to West Lafayette with my husband as well. We looked at many of the apartment complexes, but ultimately went with a really nice rental house through Rental Property Management Inc. We have several pets and the landlord was super supportive of that. She doesn't charge pet deposits either. She was also able to give us several tips on where the quiet sides of the neighborhoods are vs. the areas with a lot of partying.

That being said, the apartments we looked at were a lot cheaper especially for a 1 bedroom. If we didn't need a yard and an adequately sized space for 7 pets we definitely would have gone the apartment route.

Zillow is great for finding rentals as long as you do your research on the management of the places you find. I believe anywhere in West Lafayette is within 20 minutes of the school (our place is on the North side and is only 8 minutes away). If you would like any more info feel free to PM me.

So I've been looking over the Purdue suggested places to live list. My husband and I are looking at one bedroom apartments that are about 15-20 min away from the vet building. All of the apartments I've been looking at look like they are very student friendly and they assume that their new tenants will be Purdue students. So as a nontraditional, married student I'm worried we'll move into one of these complexes and it's going to be like moving into a dorm. I want to be close to the vet building but I also don't want to live in a building that is full of partying college students if that makes sense. What are you guys' thoughts on this? @amgoose319 I'm not sure we're your at in the process, but do you have any recommendations?
My fiance and I ended up renting an apartment that is above a dental clinic that is about a 5 minute drive across the river from the vet school. It was a listing I found on boilerapartments.com, and the timing worked out well where he could visit the apartment and we both liked it, and rent was super reasonable. So I would just keep an eye out for off-the-wall listings on their site and visit them if you can. New listings pop up all the time.
Another place we considered were Winfield Farms apartments and he visited those as well. Those were nice too, but the rental we went with was slightly cheaper. But I would recommend looking there, it seemed like a nice quiet area with washer/drier in unit, and their pet fee was reasonable (I think it was $25/month).
Good luck to you @bjeh !

Titan management and June Palms also have a pretty wide selection of properties to choose from, instead of looking at complexes.

I've lived in a few different complexes, and honestly unless you're living near a frat house, there's not a lot of them that are "party complexes." But YMMV.