Dra. Cula

Cornell Vet school C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
Hi everyone! I didn't see a Purdue Class of 2022 thread so I decided to create one :)
Good!! I was trying to create one last week, but didn't know how so I waited for someone else to do it. Good to see that it is finally here :laugh:

About the Ads

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
I am a first time applicant, and since I moved to Indiana early August I might be applying as an in-state. I will also be applying to six other schools OOS. Nervous but also excited to see what will be happening these next months. :clap:

Reactions: southpaw93

Shepherd Lover

Purdue c/o 2019
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2014
Bloomington, IN
Status
Veterinary Student
Hey guys! I'm a current third year IS student. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me via PM!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm a current first year and also IS. If you have any questions just ask! The application process for me wasn't that long ago. :)

Reactions: galixia17

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
Hii @Shepherd Lover and @cheathac. i do have a question. I noticed Purdue is not going to be looking at the GRE anymore. There is also no personal statements. Do you guys know how will they be evaluating applicants this year? This makes me kind of nervous; I don't know what to expect.

Reactions: ahallowell

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Hii @Shepherd Lover and @cheathac. i do have a question. I noticed Purdue is not going to be looking at the GRE anymore. There is also no personal statements. Do you guys know how will they be evaluating applicants this year? This makes me kind of nervous; I don't know what to expect.
What do you mean by there are no personal statements? They still require the 3 VMCAS essay prompts that replaced the personal statement.

And Purdue also has interviews. So that's part of how they are evaluating you. There's lots of schools that are moving away from the gre this year.

Edit: super quick search of their website brought this up.

Last edited:

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
I agree with Ski here. You still have to write 3 prompts I think? That still takes place of the personal statement. They are looking for well written prompts where you highlight some things about yourself that set you apart. They also look at GPA, experience, interview, diversity, etc. They are pretty holistic in what they are looking for.

Shepherd Lover

Purdue c/o 2019
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2014
Bloomington, IN
Status
Veterinary Student
Overall Purdue prides themselves on the fact that they look at the applicant as a whole and not just for your grades so they will evaluate you based off of your interview, personal statements, grades and academic rigor pretty evenly.

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
@SkiOtter @Shepherd Lover @cheathac
Thank you so much for all of the information. :cat:

What I meant was that they don't ask for more in depth questions like other schools. Those three questions from VMCAS are only 1000 characters. I feel like it is more difficult to get to know the applicants through those 3 questions compared to the personal statement from previous years.

Reactions: Shepherd Lover

Shepherd Lover

Purdue c/o 2019
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2014
Bloomington, IN
Status
Veterinary Student
@SkiOtter @Shepherd Lover @cheathac
Thank you so much for all of the information. :cat:

What I meant was that they don't ask for more in depth questions like other schools. Those three questions from VMCAS are only 1000 characters. I feel like it is more difficult to get to know the applicants through those 3 questions compared to the personal statement from previous years.
I definitely understand what you meant. I think they just use the personal statements to look for major red flags and then use the interview itself to get to know the applicants better.

Reactions: Dra. Cula

Cateeight

2+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hi guys :) Quick question, since my undergrad doesn't offer an Animal Nutrition course, so I'd be taking it only if accepted, would it be best to list Purdue's course as planned and put that as the pre-req or just say I'm not putting anything for that pre-req? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

About the Ads

Ashgirl

Pokemon Academy c/o 2018!
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2013
Castle Oblivion
Status
Veterinarian
Hi guys :) Quick question, since my undergrad doesn't offer an Animal Nutrition course, so I'd be taking it only if accepted, would it be best to list Purdue's course as planned and put that as the pre-req or just say I'm not putting anything for that pre-req? Any input is appreciated, thanks.
I believe you could say planned if you were indeed going to take it if you got accepted?

It's been a few years, and I took it in person, so I may be off here, but will you have time to complete that class after acceptance? Or would you just wait closer like if you get an interview? If I remember correctly you can't take classes the summer before right? So what if you get waitlisted and then accepted in April/May/June without the pre-req done?

Cateeight

2+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I believe you could say planned if you were indeed going to take it if you got accepted?

It's been a few years, and I took it in person, so I may be off here, but will you have time to complete that class after acceptance? Or would you just wait closer like if you get an interview? If I remember correctly you can't take classes the summer before right? So what if you get waitlisted and then accepted in April/May/June without the pre-req done?
Thanks for your reply :) I believe they allow you to take it the summer before, based on their website: "(The animal nutrition pre-requisite is the exception; you have until the start of your veterinary medical classes (mid-August) to complete this requirement.)" which would be ideal for me since I can't really afford to take it unless I know for sure I'm accepted.

Reactions: Ashgirl

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
Thanks for your reply :) I believe they allow you to take it the summer before, based on their website: "(The animal nutrition pre-requisite is the exception; you have until the start of your veterinary medical classes (mid-August) to complete this requirement.)" which would be ideal for me since I can't really afford to take it unless I know for sure I'm accepted.
I listed the class as planned. Schools know that sometimes you end up not taking the classes you list as planned amd that sometimes you take different ones. I feel like it is better for the university to see that you listed it.

PS. Thanks for the information given about letting us take the class over the summer. I am in the same boat as you. I was planning on taking it on January, but waiting might be a good idea. Maybe at least until April. Do you know if animal nutrition from Oklahoma State is self-paced just like the one from Purdue? I know in Purdue you can enroll anytime and you have one year to finish the class.

Amanasoul

Purdue c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
May 6, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi! I'm a First Year IS applicant to Purdue. I am a little anxious over the two month wait for interview notifications to go out.

Shepherd Lover

Purdue c/o 2019
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2014
Bloomington, IN
Status
Veterinary Student
I listed the class as planned. Schools know that sometimes you end up not taking the classes you list as planned amd that sometimes you take different ones. I feel like it is better for the university to see that you listed it.

PS. Thanks for the information given about letting us take the class over the summer. I am in the same boat as you. I was planning on taking it on January, but waiting might be a good idea. Maybe at least until April. Do you know if animal nutrition from Oklahoma State is self-paced just like the one from Purdue? I know in Purdue you can enroll anytime and you have one year to finish the class.
I took the Oklahoma one the summer before I started at Purdue and it is indeed self-paced. The one from Oklahoma is very affordable - it was actually cheaper than Purdue was for me (and I'm an IS student)

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
I took the Oklahoma one the summer before I started at Purdue and it is indeed self-paced. The one from Oklahoma is very affordable - it was actually cheaper than Purdue was for me (and I'm an IS student)

Does that mean I can pay and start the course whenever I want? Or is there any due dates to enroll?

Also, is it difficult to apply for in-state tuition?

Shepherd Lover

Purdue c/o 2019
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2014
Bloomington, IN
Status
Veterinary Student
Does that mean I can pay and start the course whenever I want? Or is there any due dates to enroll?

I took the nutrition course 3 years ago but as far as I can remember you could pay and start the class whenever you wanted and you could take it at your own pace (as long as you finished it within a year).

For your IS question I'm assuming you're asking about for vet school at Purdue. I've grown up in Indiana and so I applied as an IS student. I believe it is fairly difficult to gain admission as an OOS student and switch to IS status unless you marry a Hoosier. If that didn't answer what you were asking please let me know.

Ashgirl

Pokemon Academy c/o 2018!
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2013
Castle Oblivion
Status
Veterinarian

In-state tuition is crazy difficult to do (at least it was for me), unless you marry an in-state resident or you are already an IS resident. I was basically living in the state for years but they told me that the only way I personally could switch over was if I took a year off of school (or at least part-time), worked for a year, and then tried to get IS status.

About the Ads

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
@Ashgirl @Shepherd Lover

I am wondering more about paper work and documents that they ask for. I moved to Indiana around August 11th. I got my licence and house lease on august 15th and started working on August 24th. I am not studying and will only be taking animal nutrition next semester which is fine because it is only 3 credits. Since I moved not long ago I was wondering if it was going to be difficult and/or if they were going to ask for way more documents than the usual.

AnimalsAreBetter

Purdue c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
@Ashgirl @Shepherd Lover

I am wondering more about paper work and documents that they ask for. I moved to Indiana around August 11th. I got my licence and house lease on august 15th and started working on August 24th. I am not studying and will only be taking animal nutrition next semester which is fine because it is only 3 credits. Since I moved not long ago I was wondering if it was going to be difficult and/or if they were going to ask for way more documents than the usual.
Usually they will say on their website the documents they require. In general, it's a driver's license or car registration in that state along with a mortgage bill or rental contract, or even electricity bill with your address and name on it.

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
Usually they will say on their website the documents they require. In general, it's a driver's license or car registration in that state along with a mortgage bill or rental contract, or even electricity bill with your address and name on it.
I guess as long as people have those documents :thinking: on time it might not be too difficult. I am just scared that for some reason they'll say no to me for in-state tuition.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
I guess as long as people have those documents :thinking: on time it might not be too difficult. I am just scared that for some reason they'll say no to me for in-state tuition.
Call the school (most likely would be the main school) and see if you can talk to someone about residency requirements. They'll be the ones deciding if you get residency and they'll be the best source on how you can qualify for it. I'd call sooner than later though in case you don't have something.

Shepherd Lover

Purdue c/o 2019
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2014
Bloomington, IN
Status
Veterinary Student
@Ashgirl @Shepherd Lover

Technically you're supposed to live in the state and work while not taking any classes for a year to gain in state residency. I'm not sure if an online course would count or not so you should definitely contact student services!

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
Technically you're supposed to live in the state and work while not taking any classes for a year to gain in state residency. I'm not sure if an online course would count or not so you should definitely contact student services!

I am pretty sure animal nutrition doesn’t affect my application for in-state tuition. I sent an email a while ago and they told me it’s fine because it is only 3 credits. If I am not mistaken, they told me I can take up to 6 credits.

Reactions: Shepherd Lover
About the Ads

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
Has anyone received any notification about being in committee review?

Apr 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Has anyone received any notification about being in committee review?
I received a message on September 7th that they received my applicantion and it's in the review process. They will only reach out if they have questions. Will be notified in mid-December if offered interview or no longer under consideration

Dra. Cula

2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2017
I received a message on September 7th that they received my applicantion and it's in the review process. They will only reach out if they have questions. Will be notified in mid-December if offered interview or no longer under consideration
Oh, good!! I saw that last year people got an email notifying that they were in committee review so I was getting worried.

kezzie

Kansas State c/o 2022
Jul 7, 2017
Status
Veterinary Student
Has anyone read or heard any updates about when they're sending out invites/rejections?

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Has anyone read or heard any updates about when they're sending out invites/rejections?
I feel like someone on the 2021 thread last year said Purdue historically sends out invites the last day students are there before break (I think at like 5 pm CST?). Last year it was the 16th, so this year I believe it should be the 15th?

SoFloGryffindor

UFCVM'2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I feel like someone on the 2021 thread last year said Purdue historically sends out invites the last day students are there before break (I think at like 5 pm CST?). Last year it was the 16th, so this year I believe it should be the 15th?
Of December, right?

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
That would be correct. I recived mine at about 5-5:30 pm.

youngkal

Michigan State CVM C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2016
www.instagram.com
Status
Pre-Veterinary
And are outright rejections also sent that day?
I got the following:
"On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I regret to inform you that your application for admission to our DVM program is no longer receiving consideration.

We thank you for applying to Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine, and wish you well in achieving success in your educational endeavors. If you would like to arrange a phone or in-person appointment to receive feedback on your application, please contact the Student Services Center by email at [email protected]. Appointments for feedback will not begin until after February 1, 2017.

We wish you the best in achieving your career goals.

Sincerely,

Willie M. Reed, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Dean" *NOTE THIS WAS 2016

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
I believe the rejections are sent (all on the same day)after the dean finishes making the calls for acceptances (which takes a few days)
I think they're talking about "sry we don't want to interview u" rejection emails, not after interview rejections.
Which, rejections are sent the same day as interview invites.

amgoose319

keepin' it sassy
2+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm thinking you all will here pretty soon, committee just has a handful of applications left to read. I think last year I heard sometime during the first week of winter break!

Reactions: 1vet2be

galixia17

purdue c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Lafayette, IN
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi all!

I am a current 3rd year at Purdue, OOS.
I wanted to let you know if you have any questions about Purdue at all, to feel free to reach out to me <3

Reactions: futurerescueDVM
About the Ads