Qualify for Texas Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

suede

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on TMDSAS Option 2- establishment of domicile, you can gain residency if:
  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
  • Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment)
  • If an independent, own residential property in Texas
  • Own and operate a business in Texas
  • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas
Would I qualify as a Texas resident if:
  • I'm currently an out-of-state, but I plan on being an independent who owns residential property in Texas. This property will be given to me from my parents as a gift. I plan on living in this property for at least a 12 consecutive months by the application deadline.
  • During those 12 consecutive months, I will be student attending school.