Question about Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior with a 3.5 cGPA/3.4sGPA. I got to a school notoriously well-known for grade deflation where getting an A is very very difficult (I've gotten two in my college career thus far). Every class is an anxious wait to see whether I got an A- or a B+ at the end of the semester.

Being realistic, I'm hoping to raise my GPA to ~3.6cGPA/3.5sGPA by the time I graduate. Is this at all competitive for MD schools? (I have a slight upward trend - two withdrawals early on but figured things out as college progressed) Or should I really be thinking about a backup plan at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Average matriculant has a 3.7
However a 3.6 with a 518+ MCAT and great ECs/Research will probably make you a competitive candidate for upper mid tiers and maybe top tiers.
Also your school prestige might give bonus points..(top 20 undergrad?)

Also your school prestige might give bonus points..(top 20 undergrad?)

Yes.

Besides ECs such as shadowing, clinical experience, and non-clinical volunteering, will getting a research publication help draw attention away from my GPA? I'm trying to find every way possible to be a strong applicant despite the fact that my GPA is going to be a bit low no matter what I do at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

Besides ECs such as shadowing, clinical experience, and non-clinical volunteering, will getting a research publication help draw attention away from my GPA? I'm trying to find every way possible to be a strong applicant despite the fact that my GPA is going to be a bit low no matter what I do at this point.
The only thing that compensates for a lower GPA is a higher MCAT
Or a unique life story or being a navy seal or something like that..

I'm a junior with a 3.5 cGPA/3.4sGPA. I got to a school notoriously well-known for grade deflation where getting an A is very very difficult (I've gotten two in my college career thus far). Every class is an anxious wait to see whether I got an A- or a B+ at the end of the semester.

Being realistic, I'm hoping to raise my GPA to ~3.6cGPA/3.5sGPA by the time I graduate. Is this at all competitive for MD schools? (I have a slight upward trend - two withdrawals early on but figured things out as college progressed) Or should I really be thinking about a backup plan at this point?
Yes.

You'd be in fine shape with a 3.6/3.5 out of a school like JHU/Chicago/WashU etc. Even a 3.5/3.4 tends to do alright. One big mitigating factor is the MCAT, as people able to hold B+/A- grades at that kind of school almost always score well (80th percentile and up, often top ~5%).

Publishing research is hugely beneficial for the best regarded private medical schools, but is lower on the priority list for most typical state programs. You've already listed off the other major ECs that are helpful.

Knowing things like state of residence and URM/ORM matter significantly as well.

Also how the heck did you go from a 3.0 sGPA a few months ago to 3.4 now ??

I have a pretty high overall GPA (3.65). However, early in my career I thought I wanted to minor in Math and ended up getting a B- in a math course. I also got a B+ in the molecular biology course that I took for credit towards my public health program. I also took Physics 1 my freshman year, however my school implements pass/no credit grading for all first semester first year students, so I do not have a recorded grade for this class. Thus my sGPA is 3.0 counting the two classes.

Also how the heck did you go from a 3.0 sGPA a few months ago to 3.4 now ??

I got my grades back for this semester today, worked my tush off in the science classes.

Reactions: 1 users
I got my grades back for this semester today, worked my tush off in the science classes.
That is awesome dude! Yeah if that 3.4 is based on only a small number of science classes, and putting in tons of effort can net you mostly A- marks, you're on your way to being in very good shape. You can be pretty confident you'll do well on the MCAT, imo, and also confident that a 3.5+ sGPA from MIT type school will not be a big barrier to getting interviews

What state are you a resident of?

no, it depends on how that GPA is made. The freshman screwup with a 2.2 and then 3 years of 3.8 is more likely to be seen as a 3.8 student even though its a 3.4 overall . The evaluation process is much more complex than simple numbers.

But Navy SEALS are good too, even though they are nothing more than Marine P*ssy Rejects
(I am joking; everybody knows they arent anywhere near as good at as that)
(yes I like to live dangerously)

Oh really? So could that Freshman get into a top tier school with a top of the line MCAT and great ECs?
Lol
I wonder if a top school would accept a special forces combat medic with a mid tier MCAT and a 3.3 GPA
Hmmm

I had a nontrad a year or two ago got into several tops with a 3.1 first few years with major issues/story. last 3 years 3.8 and research
as for the medic, again, I cant tell anything from a single GPA number hence why I need much more to make an assessment

Wow that is amazing.

A 3.1 the first year and a 3.8 the rest of the time is a 3.61 overall though
With good ECs and MCAT that is a competitive applicant(I know you said couple years I was talking about a differt scenario)

Can you tell me if she was taking community college classes, a very precocious undergrad being pushed way too hard by her parents, or something else like that? Seems like she had a unique story, that's for sure!