This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manzielin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im debating HPSP. I definitely want to specialize, orthodontics if I have the stats. Do you think HPSP would give me a better chance at getting an orthodontic residency? Could I apply to the military residencies and "normal" residencies when that time comes around? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Im debating HPSP. I definitely want to specialize, orthodontics if I have the stats. Do you think HPSP would give me a better chance at getting an orthodontic residency? Could I apply to the military residencies and "normal" residencies when that time comes around? Thanks in advance.

ortho will be tough no matter where you go.

assuming you have the grades, maybe your military experience will help you out should you choose to apply in the civilian world? but that's just pure speculation, so i really don't know.

and you could apply to civilian residencies as well---but i only know of this through the navy. for army, you cannot. and i don't know about the air force.

is the ADAT gonna be required in the near future for specializing in the Army?

Members don't see this ad :)

Like someone said above, ortho is tough anywhere -- civilian and military. I would not make that a huge deciding factor on whether or not to do HPSP. Regarding applying for civilian vs. normal residencies, I was told (for the Navy) you are required to apply/highly encouraged (forgot which) and if you didn't get matched into one of your choice, you can always reapply the following year after more experience. The Navy dentist I spoke to for my interview said that it's roughly top of your class students that get ortho/OMFS. I'd ask a recruiter who could put you in contact with a dentist who knows more about it.

is the ADAT gonna be required in the near future for specializing in the Army?

I have heard that is what the Army is going towards, and as of now a high ADAT score would really set you apart.

I am in the Air Force with my commitment being up next June. I am applying for civilian ortho programs starting 2018. I chose civilian programs because I felt I would have a better chance of getting into one for 2018. TORP (Triforce Orthodontic Residency Program) is the military ortho program. From what I was told by basically everyone I talked to, they have NEVER (maybe once when it first started) accepted anyone on their first time applying. Which means that if I applied for 2018 through TORP, I had a 100% chance of getting rejected and then I would have to wait another year to apply again for 2019. They only take 2 people per branch per year which means I would be fighting for 2 spots. The number of applicants per year is obviously much less than civilian programs, but I just didnt like the fact that I already 100% knew I would be rejected. The other thing is, they do not want you applying to both civilian programs and TORP. It is one or the other and yes they will definitely find out and not accept you. When I took all that into consideration, I decided that I would test my luck at civilian programs and hopefully get into one. If not, I will spend one more year in the Air Force and apply again to civilian programs next year. Hope that helps.

From multiple current residents that are in the program right now, that has not happened in at least 10-15 years. I would re-verify with your friend. Maybe it has, but that is what I was told by more than one source.

My friend got matched into ortho straight out of dental school in the army. He starts his residency this summer. Most army docs I know that got selected for ortho got in their first time applying.

My friend got matched into ortho straight out of dental school in the army. He starts his residency this summer. Most army docs I know that got selected for ortho got in their first time applying

Well I guess Army may be different than AF. I dont know how else to explain it. All the people I've talked to have been AF.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just asked my friend who is in the program right now and he confirmed kind of what we both said. The Army does let people in right after school, but the Air Force does not and he said the Navy usually does not either.

Reactions: 1 user
I got in right out of school. Everyone wants to join the Airforce, but I'll pay off HPSP concurrently with ortho in the Army.

Army Healthcare Recruiter here. If you have any questions pertaining to applying or contract stuff let me know!

The bases that the army send orthodontists arent that great I heard though. Thats also something to think about.
For a free dental education and a well paying ortho residency, I'd suck it up for a few years.

Reactions: 1 users
We have both sides of the spectrum, Hawaii, San Antonio, Washington, Virginia, Colorado, Alaska (if you like wilderness) are all pretty nice.

Louisiana, Fort Drum NY, Kansas, Missouri, Fort Hood TX, Fort Sill OK unless you are from there are not that great for most.

Bunch of others that have varied opinions like the Georgia/Carolina area Fort Bliss.

However it really depends on your hobbies and what you like to do. I have been to Korea (loved it), Fort Benning, GA (loved it), Fort Drum, NY (not a fan but the fishing was great), Fort Lewis, WA (loved it), Fort Sill, OK (hated it).

So I'm a little late to the party but as everyone else has said, AF Ortho is very competitive. If you're looking to go straight into Ortho after dental school unless you majored in mechanical engineering in undergrad and placed in the top 10 in your class, you're not going to get in first cycle. If you have a military commitment, you cannot just accept to go to a civilian program, you would have to apply for an AFIT slot and then apply. It's a long ass road but to get paid 90K while in residency, not a bad gig but it is years of your life spent doing general dentistry and application cycles.

How about other specialties? How difficult would it be to match into Perio or Endo straight out of dental school on Navy HPSP? Has it been done before?

How about other specialties? How difficult would it be to match into Perio or Endo straight out of dental school on Navy HPSP? Has it been done before?
The selection results for the Navy have been posted in threads the last few years. Type duins in the search box and you'll be able to see historical trends. If it says ENS, OC1, or OCC they are coming straight out of school.