Question about PCOM Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ping1050

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From their website... "Integrated Curriculum
The primary patient care skills are complemented by our integrated approach to biomedical knowledge that introduces both basic and clinical sciences in your first two years. By learning these subject in tandem, rather than one followed by the other, the abstraction of science becomes tangible by its application in practice. The study of anatomy and physiology, for example, is paired with learning the principles of physical examination and osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). "

My question is whether this approach is similar to the organ/systems curriculum used in more and more allo schools? Anyone had any experience with this and could elaborate a bit more on it. The description seems really vague.

Members don't see this ad.

ping1050 said:
From their website... "Integrated Curriculum
The primary patient care skills are complemented by our integrated approach to biomedical knowledge that introduces both basic and clinical sciences in your first two years. By learning these subject in tandem, rather than one followed by the other, the abstraction of science becomes tangible by its application in practice. The study of anatomy and physiology, for example, is paired with learning the principles of physical examination and osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). "

My question is whether this approach is similar to the organ/systems curriculum used in more and more allo schools? Anyone had any experience with this and could elaborate a bit more on it. The description seems really vague.
Yea, they have that at KCUMB also.

Basically, the system that you are studying in anatomy is the same one you study in physiology and OMT and Biochem etc. etc. So you are learning about the same system that you manipulate in OMT labs and see in anatomy labs, all at the same time.

This supposedly is better than the more traditional curriculum where your 2nd semester of 2nd year you have to try to remember something you learned 1st semester of your 1st year. Everything is learned and applied at the same time, thereby reinforcing it to students even more. Hence "integrated" curriculum, where you integrate things you've learned about in one class into another. Know what I'm sayin'?

I would not say it is organ based. Been here three weeks and seen nothing like that. It is more like they have grouped related subjects together. Anatomy, Development, Histology are studied together and are test are a combination of the subjects. We always have OMM and Patient care skills (simulated patients 6 weeks in).

The first two semesters are not systems based. First semester is Anatomy and Histo. 2nd is Biochem/Micro/Pharm. This is to prepare us for the systems based curriculum that starts 3rd semester and continues through 2nd year. So, classes with be Renal, GI, ect. with physiology, pharm, path all taught together.