Questions About Biology GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

russellang

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a few questions regarding the biology GRE. I took the general test and my score was in the low 1100's, not bad or anything but it makes me a little nervous. I was wondering, if I took the biology GRE, could I also send the scores to vet schools even if they dont require it? Would they even look at it?

Basically, I am going to be taking the biology GRE in october for a few of the vet schools I am applying to. I would honestly at this point rather take the biology GRE over the general test. I personally just do alot better with biology related questions then more general questions on the GRE general test.

I had a few other questions:
-Are your biology gre scores sent along with your general test scores? Im assuming not so they make you pay twice to send them.
-I realize this question is entirely subjective, but: if I did really well on the biology gre could that possibly outweigh my lower gre general test scores? Im assuming this probably is only relevant for schools that require or recommend the biology GRE but thought if I included it at all schools even if they dont require/recommend taking it that it might sway their opinion of my lower general gre scores.

Thanks!
 
if I took the biology GRE, could I also send the scores to vet schools even if they dont require it? Would they even look at it?

Yes, the bio scores are sent along with general scores. I don't believe any of the other schools (excluding GA and OK) even look at it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

-Are your biology gre scores sent along with your general test scores? Im assuming not so they make you pay twice to send them.

Yes, they are sent together. Each time you take any GRE (subject or general), you get 4 free school submissions. They're $20 per school after 4.

-I realize this question is entirely subjective, but: if I did really well on the biology gre could that possibly outweigh my lower gre general test scores?
Thanks!

No idea. I did mediocre/poor on the general (1090) and *ok* on the bio (~575). I had strong grades in my pre-req courses and sciences, outstanding experiences, but a really crummy cGPA. Thankfully something balanced out because I received two acceptances. I think that question is very school specific. It might be worth a call to the two that require the bio GRE.