Questions About Reserve/ROTC Service During College/Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharktoothIE

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been scouring the threads for a couple of days now, and finally decided the best approach was to lay out my situation and see what you guys think/have to say.

I am 18 and in my senior year of high school, applying to colleges.
I am sure that I want to be a doctor and go to med school, which is essentially priority number 1. But I have always felt something of an obligation or a want to serve my country in some capacity, even something little. I think that the experience and life lessons that come with it are essential, the commitment is proudly fulfilling, and (of course) could look good on applications of any type.

I have debated between AFROTC, but what I don't really want is to do ROTC then have a 4-year active-duty commitment, on top of the possibility of several more years of service if I would do HSPS for med school. It would be nice to have school paid for, but that is not my first priority.

-is it realistic to sign up for the AF Reserves now, then go to basic in the summer, then come back and do reserves throughout my 4 years of college?
-And what about the 2 years I would have left on my (assuming that I am right about having to serve 6 years) contract? Would it be possible to be in the reserves while in medical school? Or should I take 1 or even 2 years between college and medical school?
-If I do take 1-2 years off before med school, would this be a negative aspect to schools I am applying to? And am I correct in assuming that I would have the freedom and time to find some sort of extracurricular/medically related job to fill this 1-2 year gap with the reserves?

I don't mean to sound unpatriotic, but I am quite certain that I want a civilian medical career. I do not want to have 8-12 years of active service just to have my education paid for, due to the fact that by the time I get out and would be able to start a civilian medical career, I would be practically near retirement.
I realize all of these things are years off, but I would like to know my (even theoretical) options so that I can make the best and most informed decision before I sign a portion of the next 6 years away.

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Join ROTC at whatever college you end up attending without signing up for a scholarship. You'll have no obligation to military and get a good introduction. See if you like it and make a decision from there.

Join ROTC at whatever college you end up attending without signing up for a scholarship. You'll have no obligation to military and get a good introduction. See if you like it and make a decision from there.

My only issue I kind of have with that is that if I do decide that I like it, it would push doing the reserves another year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay out of it during undergrad. It’s a time sink and the chance of deployments and activations that will mess with your schedule. Go to a cheap public undergrad in your state

You can reassess once you have a med school acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user