Questions about UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zwigglez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a P1 at UCSF, just wanted to see if any of you had questions. You should start hearing from them soon regarding interviews and I wouldn't mind answering any questions you may have about the program, my 1st year here, etc. We just finished finals so I have a little time on my hands :)

This board was very helpful to me when I was applying, so I'm more than willing to help out now that I'm in.

Good luck applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I am a P1 at UCSF, just wanted to see if any of you had questions. You should start hearing from them soon regarding interviews and I wouldn't mind answering any questions you may have about the program, my 1st year here, etc. We just finished finals so I have a little time on my hands :)

This board was very helpful to me when I was applying, so I'm more than willing to help out now that I'm in.

Good luck applying!

Hi, Zwiggles ! I just wanted to say thanks for your offer, I have a feeling that you are one of the students that came to see us at State some times ago. It's a bit too early for me to start asking questions as I don't even know whether or not I will get an interview. But I just wanted to thank you for the offer. :):):)

hi....thanks for the offer & in fact I do have a question!

Do you know if all the UCSF interviews are group interviews instead of the normal 2-on-1? I have heard rumors that they are always group interviews (a group of applicants being interviewed in the same room)...but I just wanted to double check!

Also, with UCSF being the "top" pharm school....is the course work more difficult than you expected? I would think that being the top school would mean the courses were more demanding and the class averages are higher/more competitive students. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi....thanks for the offer & in fact I do have a question!

Do you know if all the UCSF interviews are group interviews instead of the normal 2-on-1? I have heard rumors that they are always group interviews (a group of applicants being interviewed in the same room)...but I just wanted to double check!

Also, with UCSF being the "top" pharm school....is the course work more difficult than you expected? I would think that being the top school would mean the courses were more demanding and the class averages are higher/more competitive students. Thanks!

The interviews are 2-to-1, you plus a P3 or P4 and a faculty.

I don't think the coursework is much harder than my undergrad (I went to a community college and then transfered to a CSU). The content of the material is pretty much the same level but the volume is WAY higher, so the key is time management. And also, we try not to get caught up in the whole "top" pharm school thing...I mean, I love my school and all, but rankings are irrelevant a lot of the time.

As far as competitiveness goes, I can't think of a single time that I've felt even a drop of competition here. Everyone is incredibly supportive of one another, and my classmates are actually my favorite thing about school so far. Yeah, we all struggle and of course we all want to do well, but it's not the same cutthroat pressure to get A's like in undergrad.

Good luck applying!

coolio... my gf is a P1 at UCSF too! maybe you're classmates!
well... im still waiting for interviews too.. im hoping for the best. =)

coolio... my gf is a P1 at UCSF too! maybe you're classmates!
well... im still waiting for interviews too.. im hoping for the best. =)
or maybe Zwigglez IS your gf. lol

My stats:
Cum GPA: 3.58
B.A. in Chemistry
Science GPA: 3.41
Lots of extra curriculars/volunteer
only two job shadowing experiences w/ pharmacists
undergrad research

I heard its really hard to even get an interview, just wondering what my chances were. Thanks

Zwigglez, do you know if ucsf uses a score system to evaluate their applicants (add up the scores from GPA, interview, etc)? Do you how much each factor weighs (again, GPA, interview, etc)?

I don't want to scare anyone - but I have read back the posts from last year and it seems like last year UCSF sent out first interview invites as early as December 15 - so perhaps next week we'll already know if we should :cry: or :hardy:.:banana:

I don't want to scare anyone - but I have read back the posts from last year and it seems like last year UCSF sent out first interview invites as early as December 15 - so perhaps next week we'll already know if we should :cry: or :hardy:.:banana:

Don't worry about when other people start receiving their letters...I freaked out for the entire month of December when others were getting interviews and I wasn't hearing anything. I didn't get my interview letter until the end of the first week in January, but my date was the first interview day at the end of January. So it's totally random, it's only determined by when they happen to take your app off the stack. Same goes for hearing about their actual admission decision...I found out on Feb 14, when the majority of my classmates didn't hear until mid-March. Again, it's totally random.

I can't speak for certain about the manner in which UCSF "scores" the applicants. I do know a large majority of my classmates were heavily involved in community-service type activities (and not just on the level of "oh I volunteer at a soup kitchen", but more like "oh I RUN the soup kitchen"). This school prides itself on producing pharmacists that are going to be leaders in the profession so it's very important that you have that type of background. And yes, grades always matter, but I know several of my classmates who didn't even get interviews at other schools (probably because of their GPA's) but got in here because of the well-rounded type of people they are. UCSF looks for a very specific type of student (well-rounded, passionate, very knowledgeable about the profession, interested in community outreach and serving the underserved) and I tried very hard to display these qualities in myself both in my supplemental app and my interview.

Hey TrjTraddie, who is your gf? Lynn? My boyfriend did both of his degrees at SC, he was heartbroken when I decided on UCSF over SC. Fight on :)

I have a question about accepting an interview invite.

It says on their website that one must formally accept his/her offer to interview. Granted that I am fortunate enough to procure one, what if I'll be out of town until early January? How much time will I have to contact them to let them know that I definitely am interested?

Thanks in advance :)!

Wow, I signed onto SDN just on a whim, it's been forever. I could remember the days exactly a year ago when I was on SDN religiously :D ...

I bet Zwigglez could tell you more accurately, but I think you have a week or so to confirm. But, if you don't reply, the university does try very hard to contact you to see why you haven't replied. Sometimes people don't reply not only because they were on vacation but also because the letter didn't even get to them in the first place! So don't worry, they're not quick to dismiss you. But I would check your email if you can while on your vacation, and especially keep your phone on. They will try to contact you if anything.

I know you all won't listen to me, but just be patient :) you'll hear from them soon. It's almost the end of December :D I got my letter right after Christmas, and some people didn't get their letter until the second week of January! Good luck :)

And Hi Zwigglez! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hiiii :) I'm glad someone else is on here too, I've been kinda overwhelmed with people PM'ing me since I posted this thread. How's HI?

Do you know if interview invites are more or less completely random or would someone who is an out-of-state applicant (me) get an invite (or rejection) later than in-state applicants?

I was an out of state applicant last year and received my invite early January for an early February interview date. So just keep an eye out.

I was an out of state applicant last year and received my invite early January for an early February interview date. So just keep an eye out.

Did you get an invite by certified mail or was it just a regular letter ?

Just regular mail. Single piece of paper

hi guys! im also a P1. if you guys have any questions you can also message me or post on here and i'll try to answer =). hi Zwiggles and Senzabee

this UCSF interview is going to be like that Mortal Combat movie. the masters of pre-pharmacy from all around the country will gather for the ultimate battle to decide who is worthy to be called the chosen one. let the games begin, and good luck guys.

Hi everybody! Haven't been here in awhile so I thought I'd rejoin the fun.

Looks like there are a lots of questions (as can be expected) so I figured you current P1s could use a hand. I'm a (slightly jaded) P3 who has just finished the cumulative exam (wooo-hoooo!) and so now has a lot of time on her hands to not do much of anything--but maybe help answer questions! :laugh:

Looks like there are a lots of questions (as can be expected) so I figured you current P1s could use a hand. I'm a (slightly jaded) P3 who has just finished the cumulative exam (wooo-hoooo!) and so now has a lot of time on her hands to not do much of anything--but maybe help answer questions! :laugh:

My first question: are you an adcom by any chance ?:):):):):)

Hey TrjTraddie, who is your gf? Lynn? My boyfriend did both of his degrees at SC, he was heartbroken when I decided on UCSF over SC. Fight on :)

holy moly... how did u know? maybe i met u at the white coat cerimony.

whats your name?

^ :laugh: the world is a small place hehe.

Anyways, I am just making sure, I only send official transcripts to PharmCAS and not UCSF for the Automatic Update that's happening right now, right?

Never mind I should have looked on their website before asking. My bad!

The interviews are 2-to-1, you plus a P3 or P4 and a faculty.

I don't think the coursework is much harder than my undergrad (I went to a community college and then transfered to a CSU). The content of the material is pretty much the same level but the volume is WAY higher, so the key is time management. And also, we try not to get caught up in the whole "top" pharm school thing...I mean, I love my school and all, but rankings are irrelevant a lot of the time.

As far as competitiveness goes, I can't think of a single time that I've felt even a drop of competition here. Everyone is incredibly supportive of one another, and my classmates are actually my favorite thing about school so far. Yeah, we all struggle and of course we all want to do well, but it's not the same cutthroat pressure to get A's like in undergrad.

I completely agree with you Zwigglez. I'm a P4 at UCSF. I am proud to be a graduate from UCSF because we ar such a good group. People share pcol/pchem/therapeutics SOAP notes all the time. I agree with you that rankings are not talked about here at UCSF. I also agree with the other post you wrote about participating vs. starting a soup kitchen. There are many self-starters here. People here come from all walks of life and teach each other new things. Like you, my classmates are among my favorite things about this school. What pathway will you pursue? HPM is great! (though I may be biased) :D

Enjoy your winter break!

I completely agree with you Zwigglez. I'm a P4 at UCSF. I am proud to be a graduate from UCSF because we ar such a good group. People share pcol/pchem/therapeutics SOAP notes all the time. I agree with you that rankings are not talked about here at UCSF. I read some very outrageous posts from someone at a upper midwest pharm school and I am proud to say that I haven't met a UCSF pharm student like that. I also agree with the other post you wrote about participating vs. starting a soup kitchen. There are many self-starters here. People here come from all walks of life and teach each other new things. Like you, my classmates are among my favorite things about this school. What pathway will you pursue? HPM is great! (though I may be biased) :D

Enjoy your winter break!

Yay-uh! P3s and P4s represent!! Haha.

I totally agree with everything that's been said. While you will inevitably encounter individuals who are extremely grade-conscious and/or people with Type A personalities, for the most part everybody is pretty awesome about helping each other out. And it's all sorts of help from sharing notes and sample questions to holding review sessions before exams (e.g. a la T .A. style even though they may not be paid for it). Plus, the wonderful people at OSACA always make sure that you're taken care of--they even have exam candy during finals week. :laugh:

Cheburashka, no, I'm not on the admissions committee; just helping out with interviews. :)

Yay-uh! P3s and P4s represent!! Haha.

I totally agree with everything that's been said. While you will inevitably encounter individuals who are extremely grade-conscious and/or people with Type A personalities, for the most part everybody is pretty awesome about helping each other out. And it's all sorts of help from sharing notes and sample questions to holding review sessions before exams (e.g. a la T .A. style even though they may not be paid for it). Plus, the wonderful people at OSACA always make sure that you're taken care of--they even have exam candy during finals week. :laugh:

Cheburashka, no, I'm not on the admissions committee; just helping out with interviews. :)

We are one big happy family! I wish there could be healthier alternatives to exam candies- like Jamba smoothie or free dinner catered by one of those great eateries on 9th Ave (so inexpensive, yet so yummy). I will miss Naan n' Curry if I move out of town after graduation.

Congrats on finishing/passing the cumulative!!! That was a really stressful time for me. studying for it after finals in pcol, pchem, therapeutics, etc.. Get a lot of rest this month! the third class CP 131 was my favorite!

:laugh:
Congrats on finishing/passing the cumulative!!! That was a really stressful time for me. studying for it after finals in pcol, pchem, therapeutics, etc.. Get a lot of rest this month! the third class CP 131 was my favorite!

Haha! Yes, it's nice not having to study for anything for a change!

(Note: P1s, P2s, and P1s to be, this is what you have to look forward to: a quarter where you have a huge test every week for 7 weeks straight. Then you get one week off then finals start. Then one week off then it's the cumulatives. :eek:)

Conan Macdougall just sent us an e-mail about this coming quarter's Therapeutics and I just looked at the course schedule on WebCT. My initial reaction: Yikes!!!

I.D. and onc, bring it on!!! :laugh:

can I have questions for UCSF interview?
Is it okay if I take a few minutes to answer a difficult question or asking the interviewer to repeat the question? I happen to get nervous when I get stuck on something.

How early should we be there prior to our interviews and does it really take all 5 hours for the entire process? The invitation states that we should plan on being there for 5 hours. My time slot is 2:30, so then will I be done around 7:30ish?
Will all interviewees on that date be done around the same time? Any comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This question is for anyone that knows norcal pretty well.

Would it be feasible to travel from Touro to UCSF by public transportation? What would be the best mode of transportation to use, if any? I'm trying to figure out whether or not I need a rental car, since my UCSF interview is the day after Touro.

You will be there for about 4 hours or so. There is an introduction, essay portion, interview, financial aid session, discussion with current students, and a tour. You can skip the tour if you like. Make sure you eat before hand b/c at least last year, we didn't get much in terms of food throughout the entire process.

I would get there at least 15-20 minutes early so you can just try to relax, and talk to other applicants.

Hi,

I am interested in Pharmaceutical Care pathway out of the three pathways that UCSF offers. I researched on the UCSF website but I wasn't clear how the clinical experiences are obtained through this pathway and how different the other two pathways are from pharmaceutical care pathway. Do I not get any clinical experience with the other two pathways? Also, how different is the required research thesis among those three pathways?
I would really appreciate it if anyone can explain more about these pathways. Thank you! :)

All 3 pathways require a reseach project and all 3 require clinical experiences, ie. rotations in your third and fourth year. How much emphasis is put on each of these varies with the pathway. Pharm Care gets the most clinical rotations (6), followed by the other two pathways (3, I think). However, with Pharmaceutical Science and the Health Policies and Management Pathways, more time is spent on the research projects, which is why there are fewer rotations.

Everybody admitted into UCSF is automatically in the Pharm Care pathway and you have to apply for the other two pathways in your second year. During the fall quarter of first year there is an elective that provides info on all three pathways, and you get to hear stories and experiences from people who have either been through the pathway or work in a setting outside of the typical pharmacist's role.

All three pathways graduate competent pharmacists, it just depends on what your interests are: patient-focused care, policy and management, or research. These are not mutually exclusive, however, and just because you are in Pharm Care doesn't mean you can't do research or go into management. The pathways just provide a mini-focus and opportunities to explore your interests more fully.

Is it true that not so many people decide on the pharm. sci pathway? (I read that on one of the forums here on sdn, don't remember where exactly). I was wondering why? I'd like to tell them I'd be interested in pursuing it (because I really am) during my interview but I don't wanna sound like an odd-ball or make them think I'm more into research than actual pharmacy practice... help!!

1) Can the current UCSF Pharm students please describe to us the IPPEs? Where do they take place, how are sites/students selected? How often a week during the different years? Would a car be required?

2) Also what are the typical class schedules like for the 3 years of pharmacy coursework?

3) Is the cumulative exam at the end of 3rd year oral, written, basically tests what you've retained in the past three years? As intense as board exams? What are they generally like?

Much thanks.

1) Can the current UCSF Pharm students please describe to us the IPPEs? Where do they take place, how are sites/students selected? How often a week during the different years? Would a car be required?

2) Also what are the typical class schedules like for the 3 years of pharmacy coursework?

3) Is the cumulative exam at the end of 3rd year oral, written, basically tests what you've retained in the past three years? As intense as board exams? What are they generally like?

1. IPPE's, whew. I could go on and on about these beauties but I'll try to keep it short and (semi)-unbiased. The ACPE sent down a ruling last summer that every pharm student now has to have 300 IPPE hours in order to sit for the licensing exam. Since these hours have to be completed by the winter quarter of third year, it averages out to about 30-40 hours per quarter.

The way it works this year (which very likely will change for the incoming 2012'ers since it's such a new program and they're constantly getting feedback from us) is we are "assigned" IPPE sites 2 out of every 3 quarters. These sites can be in the hospital, in amcare or in community (Walgreens or Safeway). You get to rank your top choices and all sites are accessible by public transit. If we are assigned to a site, we usually go shadow 3-4 hours per week for the 10 weeks. The time is totally dependent on you and your preceptor. The level of involvement you'll have at each site is also totally dependent on your preceptor. I have classmates who just sit and observe (at, for example, poison control) and I also have classmates who full on help with charting in the hospital, so it varies greatly.

If you don't get assigned for a quarter (like me right now for spring), then you get your 30-40 hours by volunteering with the community service organizations at things like health fairs. Any event with patient contact is considered fair game for IPPE credit. We also get a large chunk of our hours (~100) through our didactic courses (CP111-113).

2. Class schedules can change depending on what year you are, but for the most part I would expect to be in class every day of the week (for varying hours, of course). The 2011 class are the first students to deal with IPPE's, so the school has re-worked the whole schedule for us to have Thursdays completely free for IPPE's/labs. This has worked great, but there is a downside because that means we are usually in class longer Mon-Wed since we need to make up for the day off. This quarter, we have lecture Mon-Wed from 8-1 (with a 1 hour lunch break) and then, depending on what lab you're in, you may then go from 1-5, but only 1 day per week. I would highly recommend you check out our class schedules on the UCSF SOP Current Students page. But don't freak out when you first look at it, because all of the lab sections are listed on there...remember you only take 1 :)

3. As for the cumulative exam at the end of fall quarter third year, I can only speak second hand because I haven't done it yet. I know you get 1 week off to study for it and everyone passed this year. I'm not sure if there's an oral component (although for therapeutics there are definitely oral midterms and exams). I would say it is probably as intense as boards ...they're really trying to ensure that you're competent enough to go out on rotations.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Zwigglez for being so helpful!
...we are "assigned" IPPE sites 2 out of every 3 quarters. These sites can be in the hospital, in amcare or in community (Walgreens or Safeway). You get to rank your top choices and all sites are accessible by public transit.
When you say we rank our top choices, does that mean the school has a set of locations for all students to choose from? Is it like "matching" w/ the sites and w/ the students again? Or is it by random assignment? Does the program ensure that you get to do IPPEs in all the different types (hospital, amcare, community), or is it possible to end up doing all community, or all hospital etc?

If you don't get assigned for a quarter (like me right now for spring), then you get your 30-40 hours by volunteering with the community service organizations at things like health fairs. Any event with patient contact is considered fair game for IPPE credit. We also get a large chunk of our hours (~100) through our didactic courses (CP111-113).

Can you please give a few examples of the community services projects? You mentioned health fairs, what other types of community services do UCSF pharm students get to do?

Also, I noticed on the current students page that there is a Placement Interviews day for graduating seniors...and any of the current students can answer this because I understand Zwigglez might not be at this point yet...basically when these employers come to recruit, are they mainly looking to fill positions in the Bay Area or from all around the state/nation/world?

THANKS AGAIN!

When you say we rank our top choices, does that mean the school has a set of locations for all students to choose from? Is it like "matching" w/ the sites and w/ the students again? Or is it by random assignment? Does the program ensure that you get to do IPPEs in all the different types (hospital, amcare, community), or is it possible to end up doing all community, or all hospital etc?

Yes, the school has a set of locations. You're not allowed to go out and find your "own" rotation site, since there must be UCSF faculty present in order for liability insurance to cover you. The process is very much like matching, although the preceptors don't rank you, obviously. You just tell the school your top choices and hopefully (although not always), you get something that you're interested in. The school does try to ensure that you do all types of settings (I've now done 1 amcare and 1 community). As you can imagine, community is everyone's least favorite since a number of us work already, but everyone will eventually be assigned to it. They also take into consideration your past work experience, so if you have, for example, already done in-patient, then they will try to place you elsewhere.

I'm very interested to see how the whole thing pans out for next year. Everything I've said above could very well change. I know our class has suggested that the incoming classes be assigned to community first, since you guys will probably have less experience than us and that frees up the hospital ones for us (which will be more applicable since we're closer to rotations and have a year of knowledge under our belts). But we'll see, I guess.

Can you please give a few examples of the community services projects? You mentioned health fairs, what other types of community services do UCSF pharm students get to do?

I believe one of the things that sets UCSF apart from other schools is the level of involvement of the students. Everyone here is involved in multiple different organizations on campus, both in the SOP and school-wide. We have 6 main groups: APhA, CSHP, SNPhA, AMCP, LAPS, and ASSP. There are also 2 fraternities, Kappa Psi and Phi Delta Chi. APhA is probably the largest, I think almost every student in my class is a member. Here is our school chapter website:
http://www.ucsf.edu/aphaasp/index.html
You can click "community service projects" and see the major ones we are involved in. Each of the organizations listed above also has it's own community projects. You can find more information again on the current students website.

We do many other types of service work besides health fairs, although they are the main type. We do immunizations, science fairs at elementary schools, outreach to underserved high schools re: health professions, nutrition counseling, etc. There is also a joint med-pharmacy student-run homeless clinic that is open one night a week at a local shelter, where the residents can be seen by the med students and counseled by the pharm students. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of projects - you'll just have to come here to find out :)

Zwigglez, you rock. :cool:

Thank you very very very much. :love:

Thank you. :D

This is kinda unrelated, and maybe I should have posted a new thread, but I've got a waitlist question that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out with. Does UCSF accept the "top" 122 applicants, then rank everyone else on the waitlist, or do they over-fill the class (say accepting 160 applicants) in anticipation that many will not accept and then rank the waitlist after that?

Just trying to get an idea of where I stand in it all. Hope that made sense.

Thanks!

This is kinda unrelated, and maybe I should have posted a new thread, but I've got a waitlist question that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out with. Does UCSF accept the "top" 122 applicants, then rank everyone else on the waitlist, or do they over-fill the class (say accepting 160 applicants) in anticipation that many will not accept and then rank the waitlist after that?

Just trying to get an idea of where I stand in it all. Hope that made sense.

Thanks!

I wouldn't say 160 but at least 130. That'd be my guess.

I don't think they overfill. Joel once told me that no one gets in just because someone else has declined - everyone gets in on their own merits and that's that.

I don't think they overfill. Joel once told me that no one gets in just because someone else has declined - everyone gets in on their own merits and that's that.

I'm sorry....I'm a little confused. If they don't overfill and only take 122 applicants for 122 spots, if someone declines, wouldn't they have to let someone else in in order to maintain their class size? Isn't that why they rank the waitlist...so that they make sure they're taking the "next best" applicant when a new spot opens up? I'm just wondering if they already have a built in buffer of people because they know some people will decline or if they have no buffer, just the 122, and then immediately start pulling from the waitlist when people decline.

Sorry if I didn't understand you, Zwigglez.

So, does the UCSF faculty organize a pharmacy board review for their students?

I just looked at the pharmcas info page on UCSF and it says that they accept exactly 122 students. Yay for the waitlisters!!!!!