Questions about UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually heard back from Joel a couple days ago, and he told me that they indeed do overfill in anticipation of some people declining. He wouldn't tell me by how much, but yes...they accept more than 122. :(

Members don't see this ad.

are there notetaking services available...powerpoints posted?

The majority of our professors post the powerpoints ahead of time on webct. I'm not sure about notetaking services - when someone needs notes, they usually just listserv the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey zwigglez,

i was wondering if i could have your opinion about my chances at getting into ucsf or what i can do to make myself a better applicant. i am hoping to get into the research track of the ucsf pharm program, and that's where my problem lies i think.

i have a lot of experience shadowing pharmacists in hospital clinics, but no actual volunteer experience in a hospital in my college and post-college years. in college i worked in research labs to support myself, and after i graduated i am still working full-time and overtime in research (once again, to support myself). i am not sure how much emphasis ucsf places on clinical or pharmacy experiences during the application process. i am currently considering applying to schools this fall, but do you think i should perhaps switch jobs to something else that may be more pharmacy related?

any advice would be great, and i would be very grateful for any input :)

cheers

Hmmm, I'll try to answer your question guppyboy85. Well I didn't have any pharmacy experience prior to getting into UCSF. I had volunteered for UC Berkeley's Health Clinic for two semesters, but I had not had any pharmacy experience. However, I have a health problems myself, and my mom has had quite a few health problems so I drew from that in my interview. Is there anyway you can volunteer at a hospital somewhere? I don't think its hours that matter so much to them. They just want to make sure that you know what you're getting into. I've met a few pharmacists who regretted getting their PharmD. Anyway, they just want to know that you know what you're getting into. They don't want to invest a whole bunch of their time and effort in someone that doesn't really want to be there. I think it would be best to get some experience, but you don't have to quit your current job. Your volunteer experience doesn't necessarily have to be directly involved with pharmacy. I was an Intensive Care Aid, and then a Sports Medicine Aid for two semesters. Anyway, this is just my take on the issue. Hope that helped some, even though its been a while. If anyone else has any questions about UCSF I can try to answer it for you :)

Just wondering if you knew exactly how the admissions com. looks at reapplicants.... do they look at both applications side-by-side? (to make sure we didnt copy/paste essays, etc)

ALso, if I talked a lot about my volunteering exp and a particular significant event in my life on my first application.... should I just not mention them at all in the re-application and strictly use new experiences, etc. ?

Last question! ANy numbers on the percentage of reapplicants who get in the second time around? (ie. someone who was maybe....#23 or #9 reapplying?)

For the UCSF candidate statement, I got stuck there. I don't know how to write to be me stand out from other candidate. can you help me?

is it too late to start applying NOW for UCSF?? I have a 3.85 GPA is that good enough for UCSF? what else to they look for in an applicant?

leetodai: I would recommend you call UCSF and ask them directly about how they look at reapplicants. I know it's a little intimidating but I really see no harm in it and they'll let you know if they can't tell you anything about their process which is possible but I don't see why you couldn't ask if there's anything they can tell you!

SHC1984: No, it is not too late to apply to UCSF. They are NOT rolling admissions so you can postmark your application the last day of their deadline and not have it affect your admissions. That's what I did but yeah, I guess I wouldn't recommend putting it off quite so much if you can help it. I wrote my supplemental app. to UCSF two hours before mailing it in partly b/c I thought I had no shot at UCSF and wanted to spend more time on apps. for schools I thought I had a better chance at but at the very last minute, I decided I had to try otherwise I knew I would regret not trying and I got in! Go figure. So go for it!

You should really research the school though and go through all the info. UCSF gives on their website about applying. If you did, you would know that the minimum gpa to apply is 2.80 so your 3.85 is way more than adequate. They go into detail on the website what they look for in an applicant.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will apply and see what happens. I think I am going to apply to all the CA schools b/c CA ROCKS! :D

I heard that most people who get interviews/get accepted answered most of the optional supplemental questions. Is that true? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a main UCSF for the application cycle for Fall 2009 thread or is this one it?

i am currently working on my supplemental and just wanted to say hello :)

I heard that most people who get interviews/get accepted answered most of the optional supplemental questions. Is that true? Just wondering.

I hope not. I would think not everyone can fill these questions out without exaggerating or blatantly lying.

I hope not. I would think not everyone can fill these questions out without exaggerating or blatantly lying.

Wow what kind of questions are they asking at UCSF??? is it really that hard? Like research publications? what kind of drugs have you discovered? I HOPE NOT! :eek:

Maybe I will just stick with no supplemental essays then... :p

Prepharm08, I can't say either way if that is true or not but speaking for myself, I didn't answer any of the extra supplemental questions. Reading those questions, you would know if you had stuff to say there. In fact, in my candidate statement, I sort of talked about how privileged I was so don't feel like you need some kind of sob story to get in though it might feel that way reading all those optional questions. If you've got nothing to add there from your experiences, you've got nothing to add and that's that. Good luck!

Prepharm08, I can't say either way if that is true or not but speaking for myself, I didn't answer any of the extra supplemental questions. Reading those questions, you would know if you had stuff to say there. In fact, in my candidate statement, I sort of talked about how privileged I was so don't feel like you need some kind of sob story to get in though it might feel that way reading all those optional questions. If you've got nothing to add there from your experiences, you've got nothing to add and that's that. Good luck!

Thank you!

Hi All,

I was working on the supplemental application and had a question on the academic pre-req record form.
I have several classes that satisfy the pre-reqs, do I need to list ALL of the courses that satisfy the pre-reqs or can I just pick the ones with a better grade? They are not repeat of the same course so I wouldn't have to indicate it in the same row. On the instruction it just mentions to list all the pre-reqs withdrawn and repeated...I am not sure about the extra courses that counts.

Thanks for all your help.

You mean the Optional Section of the Supplemental Application? There are lots of essays in the Supplemental Application that are required. So I think you might be talking about the Optional Section? I don't know. Maybe you can clarify what you are referring to. But here's what I stumbled on:
http://pharmdadmissions.blogspot.com/2008/09/c-section.html

Hi All,

I was working on the supplemental application and had a question on the academic pre-req record form.
I have several classes that satisfy the pre-reqs, do I need to list ALL of the courses that satisfy the pre-reqs or can I just pick the ones with a better grade? They are not repeat of the same course so I wouldn't have to indicate it in the same row. On the instruction it just mentions to list all the pre-reqs withdrawn and repeated...I am not sure about the extra courses that counts.

Thanks for all your help.

Do you mean if you completed more than one class that could count for a specific pre-req? For example, I completed multiple psychology courses, but I only listed the ones with higher grades to put into the box (not all of them). I hope this is correct, but that's what I did.

Yes, that was my question.
Sorry for not being clear....
I have multiple classes that can satisfy my physio and bio classes. I am really tempted to just put the classes with the best grade. I think that's what I will do....
Do you guys know if Intro Nutrition (Nut 10 from UC Davis) counts towards your electives???

Hey guys...we only need to send college transcripts directly to UCSF if the school is outside of the U.S., right?

Yes, that was my question.
Sorry for not being clear....
I have multiple classes that can satisfy my physio and bio classes. I am really tempted to just put the classes with the best grade. I think that's what I will do....
Do you guys know if Intro Nutrition (Nut 10 from UC Davis) counts towards your electives???

I would suggest looking at ASSIST and making sure the class fulfills that particular requirement. Then, I would do it your way and put the best grade.

PS. Don't list multiple listings. Just put down the essential courses that fulfill the unit requirement and move on.

I just spoke to Scott Ellis, admissions assistant in the UCSF School of Pharmacy dean's office, through our graduate/professional school day at my college. He said that 150 students get accepted for a going class of 122, but there are also 50 people which are placed on the alternate list. On average, there are roughly 1600 applicants, and roughly 500 applications get thrown out automatically because they do not satisfy the prerequisites or there is missing items in the application. Also, this year, they are trying not to look at GPA as much because they feel it gives a pre-existing bias to the application before even reviewing every single aspect in the application. Normally, the GPA shows up on the first page of the application and this is the first thing the adcoms see, but I think now they are trying to change that and not look at that first page until later or print the GPA on a later page.

Hello there, I have a question. I submitted my suppl application for UCSF about 2 weeks ago, but never heard from them telling me my supplemental was complete or anything. I was wondering if this is normal or if they are supposed to send you a "we got your suppl" letter. Thanks for your help!

Hi tbsfan,

I had to rummage through my inbox b/c I couldn't remember but yes, UCSF did send me a SuppApp Received e-letter. I sent in my app Nov. 1 and received the e-mail Dec. 11. I got my application certified so I didn't have to stress about them not receiving it or not. However, now that I think of it, all the schools I applied to did eventually notify me whether by e-mail or snail mail or both but it definitely takes time. Two weeks is actually not a lot of time at all considering all the apps schools get etc.(thought it might seem like an eternity for you, I'm sure) and it is completely normal to not have heard from them yet. Try to enjoy yourself during the long and arduous wait!

Hello there, I have a question. I submitted my suppl application for UCSF about 2 weeks ago, but never heard from them telling me my supplemental was complete or anything. I was wondering if this is normal or if they are supposed to send you a "we got your suppl" letter. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
is it bad to repeat a few things on different essays such as, "I like to multitask"??

The website says specifically that at least a month will pass before there is any status update regarding your application. So the above post exemplifies how accurate that is.

is it bad to repeat a few things on different essays such as, "I like to multitask"??

Just be sure to expand on how multitasking will make you a great pharmacist. Maybe expanding on different tasks on different essays (i.e. how you multitask at school, at work, as a volunteer)

When writing a personal statement or filling out supplementals, I would try to veer away from blanket statements such as "I like to multi-task" or "I love science" or even "I love drugs" (I've seen that one used before. That one always makes me smile.) especially if they're stand-alone statements and you have nothing to back that statement up. I feel it's better to spend the words you have on more tangibles that exemplify that "you like to multitask" or you "love science" than outright saying it.

I would definitely try to avoid repeating yourself in your PS and supplementals. The admissions committee will read ALL the materials and I don't see why you wouldn't want to use all the opportunities they give you to shed more light on yourself instead of repeating things, unless you added a different twist to it or something. People are multi-dimensional and much more than just a gpa and list of extracurriculars and the PS and supplementals are your chance to really let the admissions committee get an idea of who you are as a person and sort of how you think/feel. Go ahead. Open yourself up! Be genuine. Don't write what you think they want to hear because there will be countless others who are doing that and you're all going to end up sounding the same. Make sense? Hope this helps. Good luck!

Oh wow, that is a great resource so I'm posting it again! I almost didn't click on it.

Written by THE admissions director at UCSF so check it out! (and it's funny too!)

http://pharmdadmissions.blogspot.com/

Wow, that is some awesome advice he gives. That would have helped me in the application process, but I guess everything worked out okay :p It's even funnier to read in retrospect.

greetings all!

one of my friends alerted me to something on the UCSF supplemental application: Does UCSF require applicants who haven't attend a UC school to send in their high school transcripts? Question E4-6 on the supplemental ask about your high school background, and E6 does state "high school transcript," but I checked the offical UCSF website, including pharmcas, and nowhere does it say that they want us to send in a high school transcript.

As the postmark deadline is looming VERY near, I hope I can find out if this is true or not! My friend called to confirm, and someone at UCSF did say yes, but it seems rather bizarre and it isn't listed anywhere! thanks in advance to anyone who knows anything about this! good luck, guys!

**EDIT**
I"m sorry, please disregard this post. I just saw the webpage that confirmed it. Sighh oh dear!!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm stucked on B3 about human condition. What do you think is appropriate to answer this questions? Are they looking for a philosophical point of view, or humanistic view that reflect how we as pharmacist understand people? It's so open-ended. Also, regarding Optional C form, what if I describe some of my challenges in Form B, then I shouldn't repeat them in Form C, right? So glad that sf is not rolling admission, so I've got one more day. I am really glad sf have these questions to help us reveal who we really are, unlike other schools, beyond our gpa. please help.

Hi, I'm stucked on B3 about human condition. What do you think is appropriate to answer this questions? Are they looking for a philosophical point of view, or humanistic view that reflect how we as pharmacist understand people? It's so open-ended.

I just wrote down whatever that came to my head the first time I read it. I didnt really tie in any pharmacy related thoughts... now that I think about it.. all the essays I wrote so far for this supp didnt mention anything pharmacy related (except for the diversity one where it directly asks about it)..they all just described who I am...what I have done and learned.. Not sure if this is a bad thing or not..:confused:

Hi, I'm stucked on B3 about human condition. What do you think is appropriate to answer this questions? Are they looking for a philosophical point of view, or humanistic view that reflect how we as pharmacist understand people? It's so open-ended.

I think you're not going to get much help from people here. No one really asks about what is written to answer questions; it's just common courtesy to allow for original expression. You should just demonstrate what you know/learned for all the questions. Don't write according to angles you think the adcom want to hear. I wouldn't think philosophy. I would think a response to describe your experiences and your understanding.

Hi, I'm stucked on B3 about human condition. What do you think is appropriate to answer this questions? Are they looking for a philosophical point of view, or humanistic view that reflect how we as pharmacist understand people? It's so open-ended. Also, regarding Optional C form, what if I describe some of my challenges in Form B, then I shouldn't repeat them in Form C, right? So glad that sf is not rolling admission, so I've got one more day. I am really glad sf have these questions to help us reveal who we really are, unlike other schools, beyond our gpa. please help.

The questions are deliberately open-ended so you have to think about how best to appropriately answer. They want to know how it pertains to you...after all, it is YOUR experiences they want to hear about. You only have half a page so you can't get too philosophical.

As for questions in part C, if it pertains and it's relevant, you can go into more detail from stuff in part B if you like, though if that is the case, you might need to think about spinning you answers a different way so that you're not beating a dead horse.

I am freaking out last minute about filling out the prerequisite coursework section. I am afraid of messing up because I have put so much time into my essays, I would hate for my app. to get thrown out because I made a stupid error on filling out my pre-requisite coursework. Someone please help i nthese questions!

1) If I can't fit the name of the class in the course title box, should I just shorten it? Also, should I use a generic title for the class or put exactly what it says on my transcripts? Example: My first semester physics class at Ohlone College was titled Mechanics and second semester physics I took at UC Berkeley was titled Intro to Physics II. Should I keep the first semester class titled mechanics, or should I title it Intro to Physics I?

2) For the Humanities/Social Sciences section, do I only fill in the three classes that apply to economics, speech, and psychology/sociology/cultural antrhropology section? It says at the left that the total must come out to 28 quarter units and the three classes I listed only come out to 15 quarter units. Should I add classes in the extra spaces until it comes to a grand total of 28 quarter units?

3) When listing classes that are combined lab & lecture, Do I state that it has a lab included? For example, do I refer to Organic Chem as O Chem w/lab?

I am freaking out last minute about filling out the prerequisite coursework section. I am afraid of messing up because I have put so much time into my essays, I would hate for my app. to get thrown out because I made a stupid error on filling out my pre-requisite coursework. Someone please help i nthese questions!

1) If I can't fit the name of the class in the course title box, should I just shorten it? Also, should I use a generic title for the class or put exactly what it says on my transcripts? Example: My first semester physics class at Ohlone College was titled Mechanics and second semester physics I took at UC Berkeley was titled Intro to Physics II. Should I keep the first semester class titled mechanics, or should I title it Intro to Physics I?

2) For the Humanities/Social Sciences section, do I only fill in the three classes that apply to economics, speech, and psychology/sociology/cultural antrhropology section? It says at the left that the total must come out to 28 quarter units and the three classes I listed only come out to 15 quarter units. Should I add classes in the extra spaces until it comes to a grand total of 28 quarter units?

3) When listing classes that are combined lab & lecture, Do I state that it has a lab included? For example, do I refer to Organic Chem as O Chem w/lab?

1) Abbreviate the course title. If all else fails go to the assist.org agreement that the course verification page on their site links to, take the course title from there and abbreviate that.

2) You need 28 units so...list at least until you reach it. I just listed everything I could figuring it would make my app look more competitive. It says on their site these are just minimums, and doesn't specify a maximum, so...

3) I don't think you need to specify it. Just go by the course title on the agreement page and they will know. Your safest bet is to match everything except the social science/humanities requirements to the assist.org agreement for your school IMO.

:eek: How did I miss that little tiny section that says we have to send AP scores to the school postmarked by today? $25 is to rush process my Calc BC score, but it'll take 2 days it says! Which means...I have to take Math 1A again????? I'm stressing like no other! I feel so stupid!

Thanks so much for your help FresnoPharmD :)

Hi. Can anyone help me clarifying this matter?

I just got an email from UCSF saying that my supplemental application is missing a LOR. I sent them my supp. application on Oct. 21st, and the missing LOR the email was referring to was submitted to PharmCAS on Nov. 1st. Am I getting this email simply because UCSF has not yet received that last LOR, or am I missing something here?

Any help would be highly appreciated!!

ps. Sorry for perhaps sounding paranoid, but UCSF is my top choice and I would be so sad if they did not even review my application because of this.

It means when PharmCAS mailed your application out, it did not contain the LOR. When it was reviewed, it lacked the LOR. I am assuming that once it gets reviewed again, you won't have to worry about it.

I thought of that possibility, so I didn't e-submit my PharmCAS until it was complete.

Yes, that's basically what I thought, but it is definitely more relieving hearing from another mouth. Thanks, Jaded03.

I got an email stating that my AP scores weren't received, but they were mailed out on 10/30, I even got the confirmation in the mail. My app was mailed out 10/31. It should have gotten to them by now, but maybe they didn't process it yet. This school stresses me out...every correspondence they have seems to be a threat to cancel your application...guess that's how they whittle it down in the first step. I've never had to work so hard to follow directions to a T like this, haha...