Quitting Scribing - When to Notify the Doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've done >1 year of scribing and I was wondering if I should tell the physician I work w/ that I'm leaving a week before my last day or ON the last day?

This doctor wrote my LOR and I would say we're not best pals but we're close enough that he jokes around w/ me.

Just want to know the proper etiquette. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I've done >1 year of scribing and I was wondering if I should tell the physician I work w/ that I'm leaving a week before my last day or ON the last day?

This doctor wrote my LOR and I would say we're not best pals but we're close enough that he jokes around w/ me.

Just want to know the proper etiquette. Thanks.
Two weeks' notice is generally considered proper etiquette when quitting a job. Even if this position is unpaid, you wouldn't be wrong to observe that practice here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm w/ a scribing company. I sent in my 2 weeks notice. I guess I will tell the doctor during my next shift.

I'm w/ a scribing company. I sent in my 2 weeks notice. I guess I will tell the doctor during my next shift.
That's the courteous thing to do. Make sure you show the utmost respect and don't burn any bridges on your way out. You never know when your relationship with this physician could have future value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

I feel bad for leaving, but I already have an acceptance. I love working w/ the physician and in the medical environ, but I don't enjoy typing at lightning speed w/ no breaks...

Can someone slap me and tell me I made the right choice in quitting? I've grown too sentimental for the job after working here for the past year and a half.

I feel bad for leaving, but I already have an acceptance. I love working w/ the physician and in the medical environ, but I don't enjoy typing at lightning speed w/ no breaks...

Can someone slap me and tell me I made the right choice in quitting? I've grown too sentimental for the job after working here for the past year and a half.
I think many people acknowledge that scribing, especially for pre-meds, is more a stopgap occupation. You get some clinical exposure but they work you hard and pay you little. You've put in the time, you've reached your goal and the next step in your career, so moving on is only natural. Both the company and the doctor you work for are aware of scribing's high turnover rate and the ambitions that scribes have and that you have fulfilled. You certainly won't be leaving an unfillable void behind; at most someone's going to have to pick up a few extra shifts before Christmas. You're going to medical school now, you should be looking forward towards this next big step. In another 10 years you'll be right back at it in the physician's shoes and you might even have a little scribe sidekick with the same hunger for your position, but maybe he or she will be a robot by then, who knows?

Reactions: 3 users
I would just tell him that you really appreciated all that you learned from him, and that he has been a major contributor to you jumping to the next level. Along with notifying him that you have put in your 2 weeks with x company of course.