Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thank you! 🙂I believe I sent four back when I applied. Should not be an issue.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
thank you! 🙂I believe I sent four back when I applied. Should not be an issue.
I've been told to call programs in addition to LOI's. What is the etiquette with calling and is it recommended? Especially for programs I signaled.
I wish I knew important people. As a US IMG, i'm beginning to panic at just 6 interviews.An applicant calling doesn't mean that much, IMHO. I don't know anything about the signaling stuff but calling is just one more random communication that the program has to deal with, burning more of their time.
If you can get important people to make calls on your behalf, that means a lot more.
6 is pretty solid for an IMG. Puts you at 60-70% of match per 2022 charting the outcomes for IMGs, and I imagine there are probably one or two more coming your way.I wish I knew important people. As a US IMG, i'm beginning to panic at just 6 interviews.
I mean an attending at UCLA is a family friend, but there's no way the PD will ruin his prestigious roster with a Caribbean bloke
Not who you asked but my PD had our tests with what we got right and wrong.Hi quick question for @RadiologyPD ; Do program directors get early preliminary results of our annual DXIT exams?
Hi quick question for @RadiologyPD ; Do program directors get early preliminary results of our annual DXIT exams?
I graduated from residency in 2012 so things are likely very different these days. With this said, why would away rotations not be recommended for any med student? When I was a med student these were encouraged since one can make personal connections at certain outside programs which would increase their chances of matching. I graduated from a mid-tier Manhattan program (which made it a pseudo-upper tier program based on location) and the one DO student that ever matched there (to my knowledge) did an away rotation with us (our PD apparently had a good impression)...Retrospectively a significant reason why I matched at this program was likely due to the fact that I did an away rotation at a different institution which entailed performing "soft" research with a radiologist that did a lot of publishing but more importantly for me, did a lot of conferences/board review at the program where I ultimately matched.What is the general consensus on DO students doing aways for Rads? I know that they are generally not recommended for MD students, but does that hold true for DO students as well? Also given that the competitiveness has skyrocketed recently.
I'm currently a full time ER doc that's looking to make a change. I want to apply in this match cycle to Radiology.
Aside from CMS funding for residency positions and a good story on my personal statement, what are some things that a radiology PDs are going to want to see in an application like that?
I've been doing quite a few "ECs" between our ER and Radiology departments in terms of QI/PI projects and some other leadership type stuff.
I trained at a T20 med school, Step 1/2 are both in the 250s range, and am only a few years out of residency so I figure I still have a shot at matching.
LORs, personal statements, and application fees are of course an afterthought given where I am in my career. I have plenty of people willing to support me on this career change, though I am not tied to a specific academic center.
Anything in particular I should be thinking about? @RadiologyPD
How has signals affected the interview process? Are programs interviewing applicants who don’t signal? If so, how do they decide to interview out of the non signal pile?
If I were a pd, I'd want to know that you're truly going to be ok going back to being paid like a trainee for another 4-5 years and that you're going to be fully invested in learning radiology and not spending all your time off moonlighting in the ED.I'm currently a full time ER doc that's looking to make a change. I want to apply in this match cycle to Radiology.
Aside from CMS funding for residency positions and a good story on my personal statement, what are some things that a radiology PDs are going to want to see in an application like that?
I've been doing quite a few "ECs" between our ER and Radiology departments in terms of QI/PI projects and some other leadership type stuff.
I trained at a T20 med school, Step 1/2 are both in the 250s range, and am only a few years out of residency so I figure I still have a shot at matching.
LORs, personal statements, and application fees are of course an afterthought given where I am in my career. I have plenty of people willing to support me on this career change, though I am not tied to a specific academic center.
Anything in particular I should be thinking about? @RadiologyPD
Where can we find your rubric? It doesn't let me view your prior posts unfortunately
If I were a pd, I'd want to know that you're truly going to be ok going back to being paid like a trainee for another 4-5 years and that you're going to be fully invested in learning radiology and not spending all your time off moonlighting in the ED.
You have been dedicated to talking **** about Bhalla across multiple accounts for multiple years at this point. What did they do, pee in your cereal?Hi! As rank lists are near due please remember to be very careful of mallinckrodt radiology-the most malignant program in the country due to some very very malicious, unethical people. A lot of the more malignant ones have been fired or have left. But a few remain including those in chest (bhalla, javidan and costa particularly malignant. So long as they are around the program is simply un-rankable. leadership refuses to do anything about these people. The other half of chest is incompetent-they are only allowed to read chest x-rays and nothing else. One guy does 20 chest xrays a day and still gets paid the same as everyone else.
I trained under Dr. Bhalla as a radiology resident at WashU/BJH several years ago and feel compelled to share an honest account for anyone considering this program or interacting with him professionally.
Dr. Bhalla is knowledgeable in cardiothoracic imaging and has a large publication record, which is why many applicants are initially drawn to the program. However, once on service with him, a very different side emerges. He has a well-documented pattern of targeting specific residents he personally dislikes—often those who ask too many questions, come from certain backgrounds, or simply fail to flatter him sufficiently. The bullying is not subtle: public humiliation during readouts, sarcastic and demeaning comments in front of attendings and co-residents, deliberate low evaluation scores unsupported by objective performance, and, in several cases residents have described, outright fabrication of deficiencies to justify poor grading or probation recommendations.
Multiple former residents (including myself) received comments from him that were retaliatory rather than educational. When confronted or when feedback was submitted anonymously through the GME office, the pattern was clear: the residents he “didn’t click with” suddenly had their previously solid evaluations tank in the exact rotations he controlled. Several trainees considered mental-health leave or transferred programs because of the hostile environment he created. Complaints are ignored because leadership circled the wagons around a high-profile faculty member who constantly self promotes.
Dr. Bhalla is charming and collegial with attendings, referring physicians, and medical students who can do him no harm, which makes the two-faced nature even more jarring. To residents he dislikes, he is vindictive and seems to take genuine pleasure in making people miserable.
he does much worse than that 😆. There are stories. Many many stories.You have been dedicated to talking **** about Bhalla across multiple accounts for multiple years at this point. What did they do, pee in your cereal?
So many stories, all from the same personhe does much worse than that 😆. There are stories. Many many stories.
I'd prefer the coasts. ucla, nyu (chill). Unfortunately I have to be in St Louis. So hoping to find some info on wash u vs. slu.which rad residencies are popular these days?
are interviews still virtual?Same apology for delayed response.
I can't speak from actual experience on this matter since I am not involved in our program's selection, no longer being the PD.
My understanding from our program as well as from others is that signaling has become super important now that interviews are virtual, since the virtual format substantially reduces the commitment that an applicant has to the program, given that there are no costs to going for the interview. This will be especially true for the more "higher ranked" programs (with all the caveats I've mentioned before about ranking). A well-regarded program like Michigan, for example, isn't going to chase most highly qualified candidates who choose to signal the West (for example), since those highly qualified candidates will get plenty of interviews in that region. Michigan would have plenty of people to choose from who are just as highly qualified who have indicated that they would prefer to be in their area.
do slu over wash u? if you're not into research, same thing. or convince or wife to move elsewhere 🤣.I'd prefer the coasts. ucla, nyu (chill). Unfortunately I have to be in St Louis. So hoping to find some info on wash u vs. slu.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.