Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms3will

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a 3rd year thinking about applying for diagnostic radiology (both DO and MD).

Should I do auditions? Where have you rotated?

For those who matched radiology, what were your scores (if you wouldn't mind sharing)? Did you do any research? Where have you interviewed? Did you have any backup plans (ie, a different specialty, or do a transitional year)?

Members don't see this ad.

why don't you start by sharing your own scores/research/scheduled auditions ;)

why don't you start by sharing your own scores/research/scheduled auditions ;)

USMLE 251
COMLEX 637

No research experience.

Auditions:
Advocate Health in Chicago, IL
Franciscan Health in Olympia Fields, IL
Larkin Community Hospital in Miami, FL

Any insight into those programs would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
USMLE 251
COMLEX 637

No research experience.

Auditions:

We could be twins. I have only one audition scheduled at a major community program in the NE (I attend DO school in the West though).

We could be twins. I have only one audition scheduled at a major community program in the NE (I attend DO school in the West though).
Actually I also have one of your places scheduled for audition, but not until ERAS is submitted.

Reactions: 1 user
USMLE 251
COMLEX 637

No research experience.

Auditions:

With a 251 you should match into a decent academic program. I think your audition site selection is selling yourself short.

Reactions: 1 users
With a 251 you should match into a decent academic program. I think your audition site selection is selling yourself short.
Would lack of research impede his chances at decent academic programs? I'm asking because my stats are nearly identical to the OP's and I'm a DO student too

Been through the process already, so don't know what my n=1 is worth, but I would consider auditioning at stronger places, with your step score, provided there are no personality issues, you should be able to match well. I wouldn't even consider the DO programs, and depending on how many audition months you get, I'd spend 1 at a reach where you want to go, 2 at some semi safe spots, and 1 at some place that has historically taken DO's in the past.

I would rotate at the reach program early in the cycle so you can secure a solid LOR by the time ERAS opens up from a well-known faculty member. IR rotations tend to be nicer since you get to interact and have more hands-on experience instead of sitting behind a resident possibly annoying him/her all day. Some DO Friendly programs that come to mind: if you're thinking FL, Mt. Sinai Miami, USF, UF Jacksonville come to mind. I'm not familiar with the Illinois programs but can't imagine it being easy to break into Rush, NW or UChicago. There are tons of stronger programs out there that are receptive to DOs that I think you should consider looking into.

DO's have matched into Radiology with far less than you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Apply broadly (aka everywhere), do your research on programs which have matched or interviewed DO's in the past (and even if they haven't, you could be the first, who knows?) and try to be as personable as you can on your interviews and elective rotations.

Reactions: 3 users
Would lack of research impede his chances at decent academic programs? I'm asking because my stats are nearly identical to the OP's and I'm a DO student too
Not really. If you can slap together a case of the day type submission during rotations that would match most med students Radiology research. Lack of research probably would hurt at places that don't take DOs anyway.

Been through the process already, so don't know what my n=1 is worth, but I would consider auditioning at stronger places, with your step score, provided there are no personality issues, you should be able to match well. I wouldn't even consider the DO programs, and depending on how many audition months you get, I'd spend 1 at a reach where you want to go, 2 at some semi safe spots, and 1 at some place that has historically taken DO's in the past.

I would rotate at the reach program early in the cycle so you can secure a solid LOR by the time ERAS opens up from a well-known faculty member. IR rotations tend to be nicer since you get to interact and have more hands-on experience instead of sitting behind a resident possibly annoying him/her all day. Some DO Friendly programs that come to mind: if you're thinking FL, Mt. Sinai Miami, USF, UF Jacksonville come to mind. I'm not familiar with the Illinois programs but can't imagine it being easy to break into Rush, NW or UChicago. There are tons of stronger programs out there that are receptive to DOs that I think you should consider looking into.

DO's have matched into Radiology with far less than you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Apply broadly (aka everywhere), do your research on programs which have matched or interviewed DO's in the past (and even if they haven't, you could be the first, who knows?) and try to be as personable as you can on your interviews and elective rotations.
How important is it to do more than 1 audition rotation in rads? I have already done an elective as a third year and planning on doing 1 DR and 1 IR in my 4th year.

How important is it to do more than 1 audition rotation in rads? I have already done an elective as a third year and planning on doing 1 DR and 1 IR in my 4th year.
Did you decide on rads my man? I thought you were going to be a bow tie wearing neurologist! :p

Rads is a sweet field, though. I think in an alternate universe I would pursue it. Anatomy is my jam and I like using my hands so it makes sense.

Anyways, not to derail this thread, good luck broski ;)

Did you decide on rads my man? I thought you were going to be a bow tie wearing neurologist! :p

Rads is a sweet field, though. I think in an alternate universe I would pursue it. Anatomy is my jam and I like using my hands so it makes sense.

Anyways, not to derail this thread, good luck broski ;)

for the sake of not derailing the thread I decided to send you my response via PM

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

It's up to you, can't tell you what to do without knowing what you want. What elective rotations are useful for are helping programs get familiar with who you are and if they can tolerate being next to you for the next four years, and can help relieve some concerns about the "unknown" factor regarding how our schools stratify our students. This is especially helpful with trying to break into a competitive geographic region that you have no ties to. Would be nice if you got a LoR there too. We have different profiles but it worked for me.

tl;dr: pds are more inclined to interview you if they've met or heard of you and figured that you aren't a serial killer.

Congrats Ibn Alnafis on the decision- I've actually recently decided on radiology too after an awesome DR rotation. I've heard DR aways are not really important- being DOs I imagine we should at least do one in the general area where we want to do residency- but doing more than one I don't think is necessary. Congrats on the decision and make sure to keep in contact with me- it would be nice to hear from another DO how the whole application / interview process is going.

Last edited:
It's up to you, can't tell you what to do without knowing what you want. What elective rotations are useful for are helping programs get familiar with who you are and if they can tolerate being next to you for the next four years, and can help relieve some concerns about the "unknown" factor regarding how our schools stratify our students. This is especially helpful with trying to break into a competitive geographic region that you have no ties to. Would be nice if you got a LoR there too. We have different profiles but it worked for me.

tl;dr: pds are more inclined to interview you if they've met or heard of you and figured that you aren't a serial killer.
These are solid points. Thank you.

Definitely do not waste your auditions on AOA rads programs. You should be all-in on mid-tier academic ACGME programs with your application. Research is not a huge deal except for the top programs. Search the rads sub-forum and you'll find a bunch of threads of DO friendly ACGME programs.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with cubsfan. Cancel all the rotations that you have currently set up. With your stats, you should be auditioning at mid-tier academic programs. I like the mix that river rat suggested. The programs you listed will all give you interviews without an audition, especially with your scores. Not saying Olympia Fields is not a good program, they have a really great PD actually. But you will have more opportunities coming from an academic program. Research can help, but it's not a deal breaker. You have a great shot at the academic programs that have taken DOs in the past. Considering that you listed 2 audition sites in Chicago, I would aim for UIC and Rush instead. Other programs in the Midwest that are excellent (and take DOs) are CCF, SLU, UMKC, MCW, Cinci, and Case Western. In Florida, I would consider UF (Gainesville and Jax), Mayo-Jax, Mount Sinai, and USF.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't agree with the sentiment in canceling audition interviews.

Auditions won't help or hurt acgme residency and help with AOA.

This year, radiology has the highest competitiveness since 2013. A lot of those programs you suggests have top IR fellowship which will make them competitive.

You can't predict the match next year, and he should apply AOA as backups.

Sure... Apply to historically AOA programs, make sure you cover all your bases. Just don't waste your time auditioning there. I disagree that auditions don't help for ACGME programs. They certainly help you get a foot in the door and almost always guarantee an interview.

Sure... Apply to historically AOA programs, make sure you cover all your bases. Just don't waste your time auditioning there. I disagree that auditions don't help for ACGME programs. They certainly help you get a foot in the door and almost always guarantee an interview.

Would you recommend also applying to AOA programs with a contingent accreditation status?

Would you recommend also applying to AOA programs with a contingent accreditation status?

I would apply and wait for interviews to start rolling in. You can decide if you want to attend these interviews once you have a healthy amount of invites.

USMLE 251
COMLEX 637

No research experience.

Auditions:

I am echoing above posts and saying you should reach higher for your audition rotations. As a person who matched ACGME DR this cycle (with stats lower than yours), I received an interview at almost every AOA radiology program. I do not think you will need an audition to get those tbh. Definitely still apply obviously (especially since St James MAY decide to do ACGME this year, the PD is openly considering it) - you want to keep all of your options open. People say auditions aren't necessary for DR, I only think it's necessary if you're interested in a specific place or geographic region, or if you think a program is a reach for you. Good luck!

What are minimum comlex / usmle someone should have to safely consider applying DR? It's easy to get audition rotations for DO or MD radio. However, no point in doing them if your boards don't meet realistic minimum. Several programs have no minimum boards requirements to do auditions but will not rank you even if they interview you out of courtesy for doing audition?

What are minimum comlex / usmle someone should have to safely consider applying DR? It's easy to get audition rotations for DO or MD radio. However, no point in doing them if your boards don't meet realistic minimum. Several programs have no minimum boards requirements to do auditions but will not rank you even if they interview you out of courtesy for doing audition?

Please take the USMLE. I for one have no idea what comlex score and my DO coresident refuse to tell me what they mean.