Rank List question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The kitchen sink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rank list is due feb 26?

I have not sent out any 'ranking you highly' emails yet and idk if its too late; do you think I should still send out these emails?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

i think it's pretty obvious to PDs what language in emails means.
Examples:
1) You are my top program = You are my number 1
2) You are in my top 3 = You are my number 3
3) I will be ranking you highly = you are not my number 1

I'd probably avoid anything but the first. I dont think any PDs want to hear they were only your second or third favorite.

Reactions: 1 users
Understood.

So what does saying this get you on your list of examples: 'I am very interested in your program and would be honored to attend program X in the upcoming year'

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Understood.

So what does saying this get you on your list of examples: 'I am very interested in your program and would be honored to attend program X in the upcoming year'

Thanks!

It sounds like you would be happy at any of your programs and that is kind of the feeling that I think you are conveying. It's nothing specific and it doesn't really say much except you liked it a lot and are considering it. If that is the message you would like to convey, then go for it. I'm not sure if sending the message you typed will change your ranking much/at all. PERSONALLY, I would only recommend only sending a letter to your top choice (which is what I did).

BTW, I do want to disclose that I am just a fellow applicant if I didn't make that clear yet

It sounds like you would be happy at any of your programs and that is kind of the feeling that I think you are conveying. It's nothing specific and it doesn't really say much except you liked it a lot and are considering it. If that is the message you would like to convey, then go for it. I'm not sure if sending the message you typed will change your ranking much/at all. PERSONALLY, I would only recommend only sending a letter to your top choice (which is what I did).

BTW, I do want to disclose that I am just a fellow applicant if I didn't make that clear yet

Did you get a response, if you don't mind me asking? (Feel free to PM me). I did the same, got no response :/

Reactions: 1 user

You are correct in that assumption. I do have a #1 program. But the next 3-4 programs are ones that I can see myself at all equally. Obviously, they do not know that so I can see how me sending them a 'rank highly' letter as oppose to #1 may give them other ideas.

Idk what to do... sucks.

don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. this is just my n=1. i would be ecstatic at any of my top 3, but only sent that one letter to my 1. i've HEARD, that such letters (even to your 1) probably make negligible difference on the rank order at best (but what do i know). again, i personally wouldn't send a msg other than to my #1 because of the risk of sounding ambiguous....i feel it is better to not say anything at all than to say something that can potentially be misconstrued and hurt me

don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. this is just my n=1. i would be ecstatic at any of my top 3, but only sent that one letter to my 1. i've HEARD, that such letters (even to your 1) probably make negligible difference on the rank order at best (but what do i know). again, i personally wouldn't send a msg other than to my #1 because of the risk of sounding ambiguous....i feel it is better to not say anything at all than to say something that can potentially be misconstrued and hurt me
I was actually concerned about this whole issue too and then I realized, practically speaking, Pd's can't possibly expect every single applicant to rank them #1 right, that would be unreasonable, no? Each applicant has room for only one #1, I can't imagine saying "very highly" will have anything but the positive effect of showing interest in the program. I imagine in the eyes of Pd's being #2 or #3 is still positive because there are so many interviewees and most programs go pretty far down on their rank list to fill (with the exception bwh and ucsf). Its all speculation, but thats just my thought process.

I was actually concerned about this whole issue too and then I realized, practically speaking, Pd's can't possibly expect every single applicant to rank them #1 right, that would be unreasonable, no? Each applicant has room for only one #1, I can't imagine saying "very highly" will have anything but the positive effect of showing interest in the program. I imagine in the eyes of Pd's being #2 or #3 is still positive because there are so many interviewees and most programs go pretty far down on their rank list to fill (with the exception bwh and ucsf). Its all speculation, but thats just my thought process.
this is also a good thought.

to the OP, as you can see, it's just speculation. no right or wrong answer. go with what will make you feel better/help you sleep at night

I can't believe you all spend as much time worrying about this. In IM, very few (if any) PD's care. Here on SDN it sounds like some very competitive / small programs may care about this. But large IM programs will simply rank the candidates in the order we want them, regardless of your emails.

I can't believe you all spend as much time worrying about this. In IM, very few (if any) PD's care. Here on SDN it sounds like some very competitive / small programs may care about this. But large IM programs will simply rank the candidates in the order we want them, regardless of your emails.

This was actually my prevailing thought already. I just let the neuroticism of my fellow applicants get to me.

I may indeed do nothing and continue to live my life.

Thank you guys for the responses.

PS: It's too late.
PPS: I sent one email and that was to my #1. I matched there.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS: It's too late.

This.

I am STILL getting emails from interested applicants that met me back in October/November at interviews, STILL trying to "figure out how to rank". My PD talked with me about the ranking meeting when I was working with him almost 3 weeks ago.

Move on. The Olympics are on. Snow is falling. Go do something else. Save your neuroticism for July 1st.

What doesn't make sense to me, is if programs don't care, why do they think we care? In fact, shouldn't it be detrimental for a program to let you know that you're ranked to match? If a certain program was my favorite, I would rank it number 1 regardless. If a program was not my favorite, then knowing I'm ranked to match should theoretically further dissuade me from ranking it number 1 because then that presumably locks you in there when you have other options you prefer.

On a side note, I wanted to follow-up with a few programs as a courtesy just to let them know I had a great interview experience and would like to match there (I have changed my rank list a few times, and there are legitimately about 3 programs I'd consider ranking number 1). Is it stupid to send these emails with the caveat that you are not sending anyone a "you're my number 1 email"? Would that just look even worse or sound silly to say? I just feel inclined to at least share my appreciation and admiration for those few programs I really want to go to in favor of complete radio silence. I'm not looking for someone to tell me it will help; I just want to make sure it won't look badly.

What doesn't make sense to me, is if programs don't care, why do they think we care? In fact, shouldn't it be detrimental for a program to let you know that you're ranked to match? If a certain program was my favorite, I would rank it number 1 regardless. If a program was not my favorite, then knowing I'm ranked to match should theoretically further dissuade me from ranking it number 1 because then that presumably locks you in there when you have other options you prefer.
You should rank your programs in order of preference regardless of what they do or do not tell you. It will not and can not disadvantage you in any way, shape, or form.

Edit: Forget it.. I'm gonna stop being neurotic.

Last edited:
Is it good to maybe rank a "safer-bet" program as your number 4 or 5 or 6 or so whatever you feel is the margin of potentially going unmatched... I m just wondering if you ve already moved down to your number 5 or 6 arent your chances of matching falling quickly? Should you maybe rank a less competitive program that seemed to have liked you, basically as people have said a place you think "you have a high chance of matching at" as lets say your number 5 or so?

Is it good to maybe rank a "safer-bet" program as your number 4 or 5 or 6 or so whatever you feel is the margin of potentially going unmatched... I m just wondering if you ve already moved down to your number 5 or 6 arent your chances of matching falling quickly? Should you maybe rank a less competitive program that seemed to have liked you, basically as people have said a place you think "you have a high chance of matching at" as lets say your number 5 or so?
Seriously dude? Read anything, anywhere. You're wrong. If you are literally "ranked to match" at program X (they have 20 spots and you are ranked 1-20), it doesn't matter if you rank it #6 or #18, you are 100% guaranteed to match there if you don't match somewhere higher on your list.

Seriously dude? Read anything, anywhere. You're wrong. If you are literally "ranked to match" at program X (they have 20 spots and you are ranked 1-20), it doesn't matter if you rank it #6 or #18, you are 100% guaranteed to match there if you don't match somewhere higher on your list.

Yes.. if you are "ranked to match" then you should be fine... but what if no program has indicated to you that you are "ranked to match".. then really dont know what the programs think of you or where you stand.. thats my situation and maybe others reading this also (no program has directly told me that I am "ranked to match" or anything along those lines.. even though I did leave a few interviews where the PD or associate PD strongly indicated their interest and that they believed my wife and I were good candidates..some programs more than others)...

Yes.. if you are "ranked to match" then you should be fine... but what if no program has indicated to you that you are "ranked to match".. then really dont know what the programs think of you or where you stand.. thats my situation and maybe others reading this also (no program has directly told me that I am "ranked to match" or anything along those lines.. even though I did leave a few interviews where the PD or associate PD strongly indicated their interest and that they believed my wife and I were good candidates..some programs more than others)...

You are being excessively neurotic... to some extent. I perused your profile and it looks like your couples matching. The ball game is slightly different for you.

However, I gurantee you that thousands of allopathic fourth years apply for medicine and match- many without communication that they are ranked to match. If you and your wife interviewed at more than 10+ places, I don't see the issue. And, even then, I dare say you could have interviewed at less and still be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I used the ranked to match thing to try to illustrate a point that your likelihood of matching at a program does not change based on where you put it on your list. It does not help you to put a place that you think you have a "high likelihood of matching at" higher on your list. The only thing it does is reduce the chance that you'll match at the programs that are ranked below it.

I can't believe you have been on this forum as long as you have and you haven't picked up on these 2 pieces of advice that are literally everywhere:
1. Be guardedly optimistic when PD's and associate PD's "strongly indicate their interest." They are playing the game as well.
2. Rank. programs. in. order. of. your. preference.

I used the ranked to match thing to try to illustrate a point that your likelihood of matching at a program does not change based on where you put it on your list. It does not help you to put a place that you think you have a "high likelihood of matching at" higher on your list. The only thing it does is reduce the chance that you'll match at the programs that are ranked below it.

I can't believe you have been on this forum as long as you have and you haven't picked up on these 2 pieces of advice that are literally everywhere:
1. Be guardedly optimistic when PD's and associate PD's "strongly indicate their interest." They are playing the game as well.
2. Rank. programs. in. order. of. your. preference.

Thanks for the replies guys... I ve been avoiding overthinking the process this whole interview season... anytime I "over thought" it I would get really stressed... but now that the ROL is due its time to "over-think" it for a day or 2 .. if we werent couples matching I would just submit my list and that would be the end of it.. but with my wife and I doing the couples match into the same specialty it makes it more complicated. We ve heard a lot of "horror" stories from couples (i.e both didnt match.. matched at very very far geographically...) and we heard some really good outcomes also (matched into the same program or atleast relatively close..ie 1-2 hours apart).. we re not really going for any top name type of places.. honestly just mid to lower tier and some good community programs... we d be pretty happy with any of our top 5 to 7 programs.. just trying to figure out what would be the best way for us to do this..

Thanks for the replies guys... I ve been avoiding overthinking the process this whole interview season... anytime I "over thought" it I would get really stressed... but now that the ROL is due its time to "over-think" it for a day or 2 .. if we werent couples matching I would just submit my list and that would be the end of it.. but with my wife and I doing the couples match into the same specialty it makes it more complicated. We ve heard a lot of "horror" stories from couples (i.e both didnt match.. matched at very very far geographically...) and we heard some really good outcomes also (matched into the same program or atleast relatively close..ie 1-2 hours apart).. we re not really going for any top name type of places.. honestly just mid to lower tier and some good community programs... we d be pretty happy with any of our top 5 to 7 programs.. just trying to figure out what would be the best way for us to do this..

Dude like most people have told you, rank in order of preference. Your safe bet can be 5 or 25, it is still your safe bet and if they want you you will match no matter where you rank them. (So rank them last if you don't like them. The way I would do it if I was doing a couples match would be to sit with my wife and come up with our joint preferred match list. Exact same list. The only potential caveat I see is if you have a couple of your top programs in the same location. For example, NYU, NYP and Einstein. Let's say you have NYU-1, NYP-2 and Einstein-4 and UCLA 3. I may bump Einstein to 3, just to increase the chances that we both stay in NYC and lessen the chances that one person matches at UCLA and one matches at a NY program.

NRAI2001 said:
anytime I "over thought" it I would get really stressed... but now that the ROL is due its time to "over-think" it for a day or 2 .. if we werent couples matching I would just submit my list and that would be the end of it.. but with my wife and I doing the couples match into the same specialty it makes it more complicated. We ve heard a lot of "horror" stories from couples (i.e both didnt match.. matched at very very far geographically...)
MrWhatupDoc said:
I may bump Einstein to 3, just to increase the chances that we both stay in NYC and lessen the chances that one person matches at UCLA and one matches at a NY program.

Are you guys all idiots? If you don't want to couples match hundreds of miles away from each other, then don't rank those combinations. This isn't brain science here.

NRAI2001, take a chill pill. Something like 1/3rd the match candidates are couples matching including myself. Worse case scenario, one of you don't match while the other matches at his/her highest possible choice. There's no reason that both of you don't match because of the couples match algorithm itself, unless the 10 minute NRMP video tutorial was too overwhelming for you. Maybe you should rewatch that. I agree with someone else above, it's terrifying that someone with 4400 posts still doesn't understand basic elements of the match and the couples match two days before ROL deadline and is spamming the forums here with the same question and the same misinformation. They really ought to bring logic puzzles to the MCAT.

Last edited:
Are you guys all idiots? If you don't want to couples match hundreds of miles away from each other, then don't rank those combinations. This isn't brain science here..

Which is exactly what I said (as the only possible case to reorder match list)